Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The water-repellent thread

Maybe it could be an interesting discussion about all the water-repellent/water-proof stuff, we got here!

I'm more an old fashioned guy, not so much Goretex/Sympatex etc.. I would prefer a classic strong water-repellent raincoat over a todays "water-proof" ....tex- "function jacket", every time!

We got so much rain in old Germany, these days, you would believe, a time machine had send you back to the old days! o_O

Today, I grabbed my fieldjacket-parka (polyester) and on my way it started to drizzle, which lasted all the way. The water-repellent shell did its job very nice and held the water back for half an hour. Not bad for a simple water-repellent storebrand parka.

But my best is still the classic raincoat from Hugo Boss (a brand, I don't like in general!), which holds drizzle back endless and hard rain for some time.

So, whats your weather gear, loungers??

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
I can't say I battle the rain much. Especially if it is warm enough that I can't layer wool underneath. Wool can absorb quite a bit of water without feeling damp. I don't mind synthetics, like Goretex, if it is cool enough that sweat doesn't develop.* I have an anorak made with some proprietary weave (not Ventile) that works pretty well, and when I've washed it with Nikwax wash-in waterproofing, it works as well as I'll ever need, but that could probably be said for anything washed in that stuff. That anorak is my go-to rain garment, and I think I even have 2nd one as a back-up.

*Goretex in footwear is a no-no for me. Don't like it at all on my feet.

Umbrella.
I don't want rain to have any effect on my style so as much as I hate carrying the thing around, it's the only compromise I'm willing to settle upon if I don't want to get soaked.
I don't have any specific bad weather clothes. No raincoats or whatever. I'll wear harness boots, only that one pair I care least about and I certainly won't let my jacket choice be affected by the weather. Though I will more often reach for denim if it's raining hard. Easier to dry it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen