Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The White Mouse - Aussie War Heroine Nancy Wake dies at 98

Bluebird Marsha

A-List Customer
Wow. Just wow. What a warrior.

From one newspaper...
She is the most feminine woman I know until the fighting starts. Then, she is like five men," one French colleague said of her.

But even into her late 90s, she still loved a good party, as long as it involved some gin and her old war colleagues, or handsome young men in uniform, or best still, a combination of all three.

Last edited:

Windsock

A-List Customer
Time is creeping on. This sad but timely news sparked me into reaching for a 1st ed copy of Russel Braddon's book on her that I bought years ago that somehow I hadn't read and which I will now remedy.

Alain Laterre

New in Town
Very sad news, but what a grande dame!! She parachuted into the Auvergne with a million francs in her handbag and fought alongside 7000 maquisards. I can strongly recommend Russell Braddon's book 'Nancy Wake. Merci pour tout 'La souris blanche'.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
She was quite the amazing gal. The movie version, loosely based on her life (Charlotte Gray) doesn't do her justice at all.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nancy Wake has always been my wife's favourite war hero - and who better to honour and admire than the amazing woman who did so much to fight the Nazis. Naturally the Australian Government failed to recognise her bravery and many achievements, you couldn't expect any better from them. But we pause to remember Nancy and her generation. She lived a long life and deserved every second of it.

Steven180

One of the Regulars
God bless her and all those like her.

Her sacrifice was no different than the Dog Face of any Allied army in World War II, but her contribution was different.

Agents brought a personal gift to those who fought against an occupier while placing their own families at risk by doing so. Agents demonstrated, by their own deeds, that they would not only stand against tyranny but also beside those who were victims of it. That is action on a very human scale. Not only to those they helped, but to the entire world.

Think for a second of what she had to endure and the successes she accomplished. Also imagine the stress that lived in her every day live while doing so. Her guard had to be up every single second, protocols and trade craft had to be met, and the security of looking over your shoulder and had to be endured for the sake of your accomplices and your work. A difficult challenge for any human being.

Additionally, she was a very impassioned woman. Her charisma and history outside of war attest to that. A personality that so many look up to as an example of life and how it should be lived. To its fullest.

Take note and pass it on...

M.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/14/world/europe/14wake.html?_r=1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy