Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The White Stripe: a hair dilemma

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Bump!

I thought this would be a cool thread to resurrect.

I've been dying my hair since I was 15, and had not seen the natural colour again until college. I discovered a small patch over my left eye that was gray in colour (though the kind of yellowy gray that red hair turns, not that lovely silver.) I kept dying over it until I put bleach in my hair, and the patch just took!

I'd always liked the look of Missy Malone...

MissyMalonesmall.jpg

...So I decided to keep it :)

Profile3009editsmall.jpg

Instead of bleach, I soak it in straight peroxide, which is more effective and gentler on my hair.

Anyone else have this, or want it?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I have a natural stripe, but I dye it because I got tired of people telling me I look like Susan Sontag.

Interestingly, it's exactly in line with the side of my head where my migraines are the most severe. I don't know if they're related, but the stripe started to appear around the same time I started to get migraines. I don't know if it's cause and effect, but it's not a fair trade if it is.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I think there are many things that can cause it... Bumps, burns, birthmarks, and stress among them.

I've gotten Cruella deVille a few times, which is funny, but I get tired of hearing I look like Arlene Dickinson (From the popular Canadian show Dragon's Den). Aside from being redheaded with a white streak, there is NO resemblance!

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
I like the look of a stripe and I had two blonde streaks myself for a little while.. but not more than a few weeks, before I got tired of it and dyed over it! I think the problem was that I had a fringe and didn't put my streaks in my fringe but either side...
streaks.jpg

I didn't have them long enough to have to do the roots and I think I'd quickly have got tired of the work involved! It took me 3 bleaching sessions plus lots of toner to achieve this. But I do like the look of a stripe, especially going into a roll.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
You have such a pretty face, LinaSofia! Great shaped lips! :)

I love the look of the stripe in a roll, too. Here is a cool one (albeit in black and white):

Rockabilly-woman-photo-tattoo-girl-.jpg

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I love the look, there is an older lady where i live with a white Mallen streak in her otherwise black hair and it is really chic. I have a blonde streak in my fringe although it's going soon, as my hair hates being bleached and frazles like nobodies business.

C-dot - your eye makeup is amazing! The streak looks really cool on you too.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I bleach a stripe, since my hair is naturally salt and pepper. I've decided to stop dying my hair on my 40th birthday (2 years) but have decided to keep the strip.
40's hair
5644107380_1e6e909be5.jpg

30's hair
5759101802_25ef8e015d.jpg

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
You have such a pretty face, LinaSofia! Great shaped lips! :)

thank you! that's super sweet :eek:
I agree with Miss Sofia, your eye makeup is tops! (I've decided to start using this great 40s expression :D). I never get my liner that neat.

Miss Sofia, I didn't know it was called a "Mallen streak"! I'd love to see your hair .. you never post photos :( *nudge nudge*

this discussion is making me tempted to put a streak in again!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Thank you LinaSofia and Miss Sofia, you ladies are "top drawer" (another 40's expression!) Being a make-up artist has its perks, even if I don't make a living at it :D

Kamikat, you're a doll!

Does the name Mallen streak have anything to do with the Catherine Cookson novels? I love how that sounds, I'm calling it that from this moment on!

MissChloeCorville

Familiar Face
I have done this maaaanny times, I have to say beware cuz it is addicting! ;) But if your hair is natural you can use bleach and a PURPLE based toner. The purple toner is whats going to make it white as possible! Gotta bleach your hair a couple times though. ;0 It's not really that tough to do. I never went to a pro and my hair came out amazing! I loved it!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I've been a hairdresser for nearly 20 years and the Manic Panic Virgin Snow is the only toner that really gives you white hair, as opposed to platinum blonde.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
It's funny - my husband is pretty much opposed to anything unusual in the way of hair colour or style. He hates me drawing attention to myself. Poor love, you'd think he'd know by now! HOWEVER when I showed him a picture of Imelda May
imelda_may_09-04-30.jpg
je was totally on board with the white streak. Turns out his mother used to have one, so it's OK. SUCH a mummy's boy.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Thank you LinaSofia and Miss Sofia, you ladies are "top drawer" (another 40's expression!) Being a make-up artist has its perks, even if I don't make a living at it :D

Kamikat, you're a doll!

Does the name Mallen streak have anything to do with the Catherine Cookson novels? I love how that sounds, I'm calling it that from this moment on!

I loved Catherine Cookson when i was a teenager, (still do really seeing as we have miniseries constantly repeated on telly)! I've always called it that! Stripe doesn't have the same ring to it really!

Edward

Bartender
It's funny - my husband is pretty much opposed to anything unusual in the way of hair colour or style. He hates me drawing attention to myself. Poor love, you'd think he'd know by now! HOWEVER when I showed him a picture of Imelda May
imelda_may_09-04-30.jpg
je was totally on board with the white streak. Turns out his mother used to have one, so it's OK. SUCH a mummy's boy.

A tip I've picked up along the way from Imelda herself (not to name drop, like... ;) ) is, if you're going to go for a stripe, switch sides every time you have it done. Imelda does this, stops the hair on one area getting too brittle.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I have done this maaaanny times, I have to say beware cuz it is addicting! ;) But if your hair is natural you can use bleach and a PURPLE based toner. The purple toner is whats going to make it white as possible! Gotta bleach your hair a couple times though. ;0 It's not really that tough to do. I never went to a pro and my hair came out amazing! I loved it!

It looks great in your avatar, you're a stunner! :)

I've been a hairdresser for nearly 20 years and the Manic Panic Virgin Snow is the only toner that really gives you white hair, as opposed to platinum blonde.

Fantastic - I'm going to try this soon.

By the way - I've been thinking about getting my nose pierced and yours looks so cute!

Thanks! :) I've had it since I was 14. I lucked out with the piercist, because the placement is perfect. Get yours done, and a Mallen streak like Imelda, and we will be sisters!

I loved Catherine Cookson when i was a teenager, (still do really seeing as we have miniseries constantly repeated on telly)! I've always called it that! Stripe doesn't have the same ring to it really!

After some Google research, I've discovered its a pretty common nomenclature, how cool! (OT: Did you know she writes for Coronation Street?)

Last edited:

Miss sofia

One Too Many
C-Dot - well i never! Although the writing for Corrie is consistently good, so i'm not surprised.

Thanks for the tip Edward, i'll remember that for when i get the urge to brave a Mallen streak again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner