Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The White Stripe: a hair dilemma

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I tried Manic Panic's Virgin Snow tonight - I love it! The hair is so white, its almost got a blue tint to it. I recommend it for sure!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I'm glad you like it! It makes a huge difference for me. My coloring doesn't work with blond, but the white looks fantastic.

User25159

New in Town
This is my own streak that i fondly call White Lightning! (not really)

I dye my hair black, so when i initially bleached this in, I had SO much damage. This was because i wasn't using the correct products, and used these wrong ones over and over again in a span of 2 days. I DON'T RECOMMEND THIS!! But if you do have bleached or damaged hair, this is how i made the damage less noticeable: I trimmed that part of my hair (when i set it, it didn't look crazily multi-lengthed.), used deep conditioner on the part EVERY time I washed my hair, used this "placenta" spray leave-in treatment after I washed my hair, and used the John Frieda nighttime serum on the nights i didn't wash my hair. When it was wet, I'd comb it out with a wide tooth comb, and very gently so. If i had any sort of difficulty combing it, I'd stop. I'd put a decent amount of heat protectant on my hair, and gently blow dry it on a medium-low setting. When it was dry, i'd gently brush it out, and set the front in stand up pin curls when it was still warm, and in the morning, it was curly, bouncy and there was no sign of damage. PS: my streak was still not my desired white during this time!

Fast forward to when my hair was ready to be bleached again, I used Effasol color remover (found in my beauty supply store). This is a super strong bleach, but it's somehow less damaging on my hair. My theory is that it's because it's not meant to be left on hair for as long as bleach. Worked like a charm! And to get it white, i used Manic Panic's Virgin Snow to tone down the yellow.

Since then, a friend turned me on to this surprisingly AMAZING bleaching kit from Hot Topic of all places. It comes with everything you need to get your hair white, and the toner in there is WAY better than Virgin Snow. Virgin snow will only work if your hair is pretty much the lightest yellow possible, but the toner that comes in this it is a bit more powerful. Admittedly, i'm a trifle embarrassed to promote anything from Hot topic, but this is THAT good!

Here's a crappy picture of the 'do:

(i always unconsciously raise my eyebrow in pictures. Maybe I was a wrestler in a past life!)

Hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
OT Okay if this is how you look when you look "crappy" you must be a force to be reckoned with when you look "good".

Last edited by a moderator:

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
That 'do is fantastic! I like how long your streak is, and your waves are great. :)

The best OTC bleach I've tried (and believe me, I've tried 'em all) was Clairol L'Image's Maxi Blonde, but of course they discontinue it. If I don't find a new bleach that works as well as this one, I'll keep my eye out for the Hot Topic one. Usually I'd have to wait until I made a trip across the border, but they're opening up one here soon, so hopefully they carry it!

User25159

New in Town
C-dot, thanks! My bangs were really short, so I'm just happy they're now past that awkward stage of growing out. Good luck on your bleach hunt!

W-D Forties

Practically Family
I'm about to go under the dye brush and scissors again tomorrow and am getting the Mallen Streak!

I have done this before several years ago and eventually dyed it myself. My hair is quite fragile as it's fine anyway and at the moment has a lot of very light highlights so I'm more concerned about dyeing the body of it rather than the streak itself. Again, I'm going to do it myelf later on, as I really can't afford the hairdressers fees right at the moment.

The question I have is for ladies from the UK. Can anyone reccomend an effective bleach? I used to use Born Blonde years and years ago and had good lift with that, but is there an easier or better option available here, also is Manic panic Virgin Snow avaiable here too?

Thanks C-dot for reminding me of this thread, I have you and lots of other pics on a powerpoint page I'm going to print and take with me!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
If you can't find the Virgin Snow, you can always tone with peroxide. Put it in a spray bottle and spritz some into your streak at night, and the next morning it will look much lighter.

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Thanks C-dot. I'm on my way to the choppers now so wish me luck! My son has just said, 'don't do it dark mum, it's nice as it is!' Thanks son, for making me feel good and bad at the same time!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
There was a guy who worked at my nearby Kinkos who had a natural one just off set from the center right of this forehead. He had a waist length pony tail for a long time and the stripe was a good 2" wide. Then he cut it real business man short. It was the sexiest think I had ever seen.

LD

User25159

New in Town
There was a guy who worked at my nearby Kinkos who had a natural one just off set from the center right of this forehead. He had a waist length pony tail for a long time and the stripe was a good 2" wide. Then he cut it real business man short. It was the sexiest think I had ever seen.

LD
For some reason my visual of this guy with this hair cut is him working at Kinko's in a pinstriped suit.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I love pure white hair on a man! John Slattery is my favorite silver haired gentleman.
john_slattery_03.jpg

W-D Forties

Practically Family
My sister has had pure white hair since she was in her very early 30's and had always hated it. I have been trying to get my hair that colour for years! Not fair! She keeps dying it darker, the fool!

My hair is now done, by the way. I think the jury's out. I love the blonde (although it's not quite as white as I'd like yet), but the rest is just so dark! I can't complain as it's exactly what I asked for, I think it's just that as a natural dark blonde it's a bit of a shock and fells a bit like a wig to me at present. Also, last time I had it done I had a very definite graduated bob which gave it a very strong look when it was naturally straight, now that I'm growing it a bit I think it just looks a little strange when it's straight, better when curled and styled.

I think it's going to take a bit of getting used to! I will eventually post some pics...

ginfizz

One of the Regulars
I've had the stripe before, I think good and bad comes along with it. I've had clients who it has looked awesome on and clients it has looked awful on.
The good-it looks awesome
The bad-if your sets are totally smooth or you use too much product it is very obvious. Also I found that if you don't really work with it it can turn into a bit of a mess. For example if part of the stripe makes it into another roller from the rest of the stripe, it looks really messy. So I'd say if you're a neat freak about your hair everyday go for it, if you like to sometimes just throw it in a set brush it out and ignore it then stay away.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I'm trying to decide whats happening with Rita Hayworth's hair. In this picture, she appears to have a Mallen streak:

Rita-Hayworth.jpg

But in other photos of the same session, it isn't there. The only other similar photo is this colour one, though it isn't white:

RitaHayworth5919.jpg

...And no other photo of her shows it. It isn't mentioned in biographies of Rita either, so it's probably just a lighting thing. It looks pretty good though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner