Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Women of the Robie House (The Arts & Crafts Movement)

16_sparrows

Vendor
I'm an art historian and I've been doing research on Arts and Crafts architecture in Chicago. In my research I fell upon some interesting personal photos of the family that purchased the Robie house from Mr. Robie after he sold it (after living there for only two years). I'm assuming the father took most of the photos, hence why they wife and children are the subjects of them. Here are a few, which are interesting to see the interior of the house as well as the clothing they are wearing. I have a few more of the children, some quite humorous as they are in costumes. There is also a couple of them in their playroom. Let me know if you are interested in seeing those.

Robie house was built by Frank Lloyd Wright, 1906-1909, Chicago, IL
It is near the main campus of the University of Chicago in Oak Park and is privately owned at this point. I don't think they do any tours of the interior, but it is quite easy to see most of the exterior.

2310438287_68338df653.jpg

Jeannette Wilber in the south aisle of the first floor, 1916.
Is it just me, or is she wearing white spats? I didn't think girls wore spats, especially as late as 1916.

2311246214_ff8f4e2848.jpg

Isadora Wilber in the garden, 1916

2310424489_66d020d1cd.jpg

Jeannette Wilber in riding habit at the front gate of the house, 1924. (My, how's she's grown!)
I am almost sure this gate and the wall has since been torn down. Shame because the gate's design is wonderful.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
neat pics! i'd love to see more. it's interesting to see such old-fashioned people in (what i see as) such modern-looking environments. that gate is fantastic!!

:eek:fftopic: the American Girls "Samantha" doll has two-tone high-button shoes... but that's for 1904. [huh]
D7909_main_2.jpg

16_sparrows

Vendor
I'll post some more interiors of the Robie house later, but I fell upon this wonderful writing nook from Purcell and Elmslie who have a similar style to Wright.

2314401109_a835d9bf30_o.jpg

Writing Nook, Purcell house
Lake Place, Minneapolis

How cute is this writing nook! I am going to see if I can reproduce something similar in my office in the new apartment.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for posting this--I love the Arts and Crafts style. I especially like that they would put windows where we'd probably just stick a fluorescent light. :eek:

16_sparrows

Vendor
American Arts and Crafts were on the cusp of electricity being used in domestic housing. Electricity in cities wasn't really utilized until 1905 (sometimes later) and even then it was only for street lamps and for extremely wealthy families. Most of the A&C movement took place during Victorian times, especially the British movement, so gas lamps and such were still widely used. That's why they have such wonderful use of windows. Also, they were trying to move away from the symmetrical looks of houses, so they started placing windows where it was needed, rather than where it would make the house symmetrical. What a concept, huh? :)

If you are interested in this kind of stuff and how electricity, radio and all that changed the face of America and housing, I would highly suggest Daily Life in the United States, 1920-1940. It is one of my favorite historical books, although my recommendation comes with the warning that the first two chapters are stuffed with boring statistics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner