Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The wool felt hat thread.

fmw

One Too Many
Wool felt? A dirty word on the Fedora Lounge hat forum? Everybody wants fur felt. Wool felt hats are no good.

I have some fur felt hats that I like a lot. They weren't expensive. They look great. They aren't as luxurious as fur felt hats but they can get the job done. So, if you have the nerve, show us your wool felt hats.

Here's my Stetson Sturgis. I've had many compliments on it.

sturgis.jpg

fmw

One Too Many
Most of mine are beaver. The Westerns are my main thing. This is the only wool Western hat I have. It is more of an Australian style than 20th century Western, however.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
This is the only wool felt hat I have :) A nice thick black wool w/satin lining Elosequi Basica Beret :) A highly recomended topper for those of us that are folicily challenged on top on cold days!! :)

12-23-10013.jpg

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I have a beret or two and few wool felt westerns and fedoras. A couple of them appeared on the FL already. But heres two or three anyway:D

portrait.jpg

about 1986:
me86ish.jpg

This is, at best, a wool/felt mix thats reeeeally stiff:
1120002254a.jpg

Theres others that Im not sure I want to be seen in.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
It was really cheap woolie I bought because of my budgetary constraints at the time. For what I was willing to spend, there was nothing in a color close to that. I also loved the full crown and wide brim. I dont know the brand, but Im sure its nothing famous.

Im not sure where it is now - probably in a box in the attic of my ex's house, along with probably two or three others. I stopped wearing them when I was able to afford fur felt because I couldnt keep the brims straight on the woolies. Western woolies seemed to be easier to keep in shape because they have either a wire in the brim, or are stiffer in general, but wool fedoras' brims just kind of went all wavy on me after not too much wear.

Big_e

Practically Family
The only wool hat I have now is a cheap Bronner I bought at Levines. Pretty well made for a wool hat if I do say so myself in that it is not thick as most wool hats I see.
Ernest

Picture034.jpg

CharlieB

A-List Customer
Very nice. All the wool Dobbs’s hat’s I’ve had have been very comfortable.

Very nice lid. The one I am wearing in my avatar is a Jaxon C-crown I ordered online about a month ago.

The pic was from my break-in wearing. I have one old woolie that is over 20 years old, and I still wear it when it is either really bad weather (it's actually a "Totes" rain hat, and does shed water well) or when it is hot (sits a little higher on my head).

I also have a Dorfman wool indie (all my hats are the crushable type). Maybe someday I'll pop for a fur felt, but I have not had a reason to complain about wools.

fmw

One Too Many
I got a new woolie today. I'm sure the manufacturer calls it a fur blend but it is 10% fur and 90% wool and it feels like wool. It quacks like a duck. At any rate, I like the styling a lot, mostly because of the short crown. I've never owned a black Western and I bought this virtually new hat on Ebay for a song. It is a Master Hatters Cattleman 1. All it needs is a new hat band so I'll get working on that.

mht.jpg

mhtinterior.jpg

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I may have posted similar thoughts in another thread, so sorry if I'm being redundant.
Here are 3 of a small handful of my wools. The bowler is a top favorite of mine (Knutsen Bat Masterson), and the other two suffice when necessary: the John Bull topper is from Burgess Hats, and the good, stiff crown is complemented ;)by a rather flimsy brim that's hard to shape. The other is a Belfry Murino-- the crown is a little too tapered for my head, but it's very comfortable and I've never seen such a long napped, glossy finish on a wool before. I guess it's not quite as visible in the photo.
ggwwbatmastersonb.jpg
[/IMG]
burgesslowjohnbull.jpg
[/IMG]
belfrymurino2.jpg
[/IMG]

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany