Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

They all think I am mad

Torpedo

One Too Many
Not much to say that has not already been said.

If you persevere, the day will come when you will not be wearing a hat (whatever the reason) and someone will ask you "where's your hat?" or "I had not reconigzed you at first because you are hatless!". Then you will realize the hat has become a part of your image.:)

babs

A-List Customer
"Hat day" at the office tomorrow, as if it's some kind of costume. Eh, ok, I'll play along... I'm breakin' out my new-to-me Dunlap snap-brim and coming out of the closet... uh, so to speak.

I'll just keep with the trend going forward and eventually my wife won't look at me like I'm crazy as a moonbat. hehe Though the odd look I get fades and I then get an almost approving look with a semi praising "looks nice".

I figure when winter comes, it'll be a necessary yet good-looking thing, instead of a necessary evil to don a cover.

SamReu

One of the Regulars
Hats? Why not?

My friends are used to seeing me in a hat, especially on these summer days, when southern sunlight is so brutal.

On occasion, a stranger will pass by and say something like, "Nice hat, man!" and I am always gracious. Sometimes, a woman passing me eyes my brim, and I can see she approves. (Honestly, it must be the hat, not the wearer).

Still, I get those comments. We all know them, so there's no need to repeat them here.

And, of course, the question: "Why are you wearing a hat?"

My response: "Why aren't YOU?"

Be bold, Kreissaege, and stylish.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have worn hats since my teens but they have invariably been western hats, almost exclusively the Open Road Western style, since I was in my thirties and that hat was such a part of me, no one who knew me ever thought twice. I'm in my 50's now and just a couple of years ago, began to wear fedoras as well. You would have thought I had put a lampshade on my head and had never been seen in a hat before, from the initial responses I got! While I still wear the ORs a great deal, I wear the fedoras more and more and the comments are gone, the friends and family are still here, and the grandkids still love me. Wear that hat!

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
SamReu said:
I forgot to add: Men of a certain age, and I am one, look like boobs in baseball caps.

And I forgot to add this in my above post: SamReu is right; I do too--and that certain age is much younger than the wearers think!!!:D

RBH

Bartender
Spats McGee said:
1) You're not mad.

2) If you are mad, you're in good company with us here at the Lounge.

3) After a few months, the people giving you a hard time will grow tired of doing so, and you will be less self-conscious in your hats.

4) After a few more months, you'll also grow accustomed to (but never tired of) those "very chic" kinds of comments.

Keep up the good work!
I could not have said it any better!

High Pockets

Practically Family
I'm fifty-five years old and have been wearing nothing but ball caps and "western" hats most of my life.
I just recently started wearing a Biltmore straw at the beginning of this summer, the act of which recieved mixed reviews from family and friends.

My family, (having witnessed my constant changing interests for years), took it in stride and gave me some really nice compliments.

Aquaintences took little notice and were also quite complimentary. However,....my closest friends, fire-fighters I've worked with for over twenty-two years, openly ridiculed the act.

I figure my family and aquaintences will soon get so used to the fact that I love and wear dress hats that they'll neglect to even notice them, and my "best" friends, those I work with everyday, well,.....they can go to blazes.
They'll soon tire of the name calling,....the fact is; they bore very easily.

I can't wait till fall so I can start wearing my felts!!:)

ValEag

One of the Regulars
Mahagonny Bill said:
I don't know about Europe, but in the U.S. I'm seeing more and more people wearing hats.

I would agree with this statement as well. I started wearing hats regularly about a year ago. While I don't have the collection that many here can boast of, I have enough fur felt dress hats and casual hats to meet my needs and keep an eye out for others when I can.

When I started wearing hats, I also started noticing them more on others as well and I see many more now than even a year ago, it is definitely a growing trend here in the midwest. Most of my comments have been favorable too, and even though I'll be 56 next month, the nicest comments I've heard come from women who are in their 20s and 30s. They just seem to like hats and the way they look. The worst comment I've received was a 'Clark Kent' comment, and it took some time to even figure out what they meant.

My family adjusted to it well, in fact the Akubra Casual I wear on a daily basis reminds my mother of a hat her father used to wear. I overheard a lady at church mentioning as I walked up to the door one evening in the dark that she knew it was me because I was wearing a hat. Keep wearing them and soon it will be so much a part of you others won't give it a second thought.

Mr Zablosky

New in Town
I've worn a hat regularly in this Texas sun. No one would question a hat here unless it made sounds or did something unusual. I have certain hats for certain functions, ie: wide brim for fishing or water-resistant for wet activities. Its not that complex. If someone needs a sensible answer tell them you saw some news about killer UV rays.

DC3

New in Town
I wear a variety of hats but, like many others, I've been shying away over the last few years from the baseball hat. My daily is either one of my leather fedoras, a tilley, or an oil cloth Indy I picked up to take on an upcoming cruise. I don't pay much attention to comments, and I've gotten my share. Family though has been supportive and positive. Guess I'm lucky. If someone does say something it reminds me that they noticed it. The Clark Kent comment would have gotten the "Thanks Jimmy" back at him. Just got to be ready for the miniscule mind.
At our favorite restaurant the other day the waitress asked "Is that a different hat?" We had been in a few days earlier and I had worn a brown Panama. That day I wore the oil skin. Even this twenty something had taken notice, so there is hope.

High Pockets

Practically Family
ValEag said:
I would agree with this statement as well. I started wearing hats regularly about a year ago. While I don't have the collection that many here can boast of, I have enough fur felt dress hats and casual hats to meet my needs and keep an eye out for others when I can.

When I started wearing hats, I also started noticing them more on others as well and I see many more now than even a year ago, it is definitely a growing trend here in the midwest. Most of my comments have been favorable too, and even though I'll be 56 next month, the nicest comments I've heard come from women who are in their 20s and 30s. They just seem to like hats and the way they look. The worst comment I've received was a 'Clark Kent' comment, and it took some time to even figure out what they meant.

My family adjusted to it well, in fact the Akubra Casual I wear on a daily basis reminds my mother of a hat her father used to wear. I overheard a lady at church mentioning as I walked up to the door one evening in the dark that she knew it was me because I was wearing a hat. Keep wearing them and soon it will be so much a part of you others won't give it a second thought.

:) Nice post! :)

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
YES!!! That's it in a nutshell- same for us ladies in our (vintage) hats too!

M6Classic said:
I have found that the secret is...and it is really no secret...if you feel comfortable, confident, and unselfconscious under your hat people will not think it is part of a costume, rather that it is a normal part of your attire. It is as much how one carries himself as how he actually looks in a hat. Buzz

elvisroe

A-List Customer
Ditto to all of the above...

You may also find that you'll be recognised and remembered by more random people around the place and you'll be very easy to find in a crowd.

If however you want to disappear for some reason...just take it off and you'll vanish. Well either that or you'll be recognised by your hat-hair!;)

M6Classic

One of the Regulars
elvisroe said:
<snip>

If however you want to disappear for some reason...just take it off and you'll vanish. Well either that or you'll be recognised by your hat-hair! ;)
Oh, just to have enough hair anymore to ever again have hat hair! It is to dream (insert heavy sigh).

Buzz

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW