Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things that make you smile

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
37df70624b1bfddbf06a8f50c2415081.jpg

Signs that tell you more than the price.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
My brain is fully confused now ;)
Putting air pressure into a car's tyres requires a figure. In imperial it's something around 24 pounds per square inch. In metric all the handbook gives you is a number, for Tina's VW Golf it's 19. But there's no clarification of what 19 defines.

You Europeans often use a comma where we Americans would use a decimal point. So when I read "27,557 PSI" as "Twenty seven thousand, five hundred fifty seven PSI" my first thought was, "What, are you trying to inflate a blimp?" :p

Comma isn't the accounting "thousands-point". ;)

My icecream-bowl made me smile, right now.

Try it, it's awesome:

-Amarena cherry
-banana split
-coconut

Not yet having a name for that. "Gilligan's island", maybe. :D

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Well. At this point every woman just says “yes dear “ [emoji12]
After fifty wonderful years with some amazing highs and some stormy lows I know it's the guy who says "Yes dear." And woe betide him if there is the slightest hint of a patronising tone in his voice. It takes fifty years to realise that:
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."

Haversack

One Too Many
I encountered some non-metric hold-outs back in the 1980s in southern Germany, (Franconia to be exact). I would be in the Metagerei, (Butcher shop), and hear people asking for "Eine Pfund Hackfleisch", (a pound of ground meat), or "Eine viertel-pfund Bauernschinken" (a quarter pound air-cured ham). What they would get was 500 grams, (1.1 pounds) and 125 grams respectively. While goods were measured metrically, the older terms had been adapted to the 'new' measurements and were still in use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy