Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things you want but cannot justify buying...

I keep wondering how this would look on me. . .

1644748305.jpeg

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I've been shaving my head for almost a year now. I used to go to the barber twice a month and have him (A shaved head barber as it happens) fade and keep it short at the top (3-4)

Well, I moved and in order to save some money and time and decided to shave it. Best decission I've ever made. So practical, I feel great and save around 30€ a month for other things (I used to tip my barber every time).

Yesterday after almost a year without visiting him I went by the barbershop to say hi and he had no customers so I sat down and we chatted for quite a while, almost half an hour if not more. He said that I look great and that I did the right decission, he even gave me tips on how to shave and what type machine to buy if I ever wanted to just trim it very short.

After so many years cutting my hair it's a bit sad to not go ever 2 weeks but I prefer to do it myself at home. I do look a bit like Bronson though with the moustache:

EHcmrKh.gif
Get a Wahl super taper, they are super tough, i have been rocking the number 2 buzz cut for a total of 20 years and have had two trimmers, the first one lasted 15 years, the second one is 5 years old and still rocking.
I usually cut my hair every 2 weeks and could not imagine paying someone to do it for me.

Get a Wahl super taper, they are super tough, i have been rocking the number 2 buzz cut for a total of 20 years and have had two trimmers, the first one lasted 15 years, the second one is 5 years old and still rocking.
I usually cut my hair every 2 weeks and could not imagine paying someone to do it for me.

I think I'll keep my hair the same way you do from now on. No beard, tho. Really tired of getting two weeks of nice hair in three months worth of looking shitty. Wahl is the best, I heard. Have you tried those circular ones?

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I think I'll keep my hair the same way you do from now on. No beard, tho. Really tired of getting two weeks of nice hair in three months worth of looking shitty. Wahl is the best, I heard. Have you tried those circular ones?

Wahl definitely rocks. Not sure what you mean by circular one, "circular wahl" doesn't really bring up anything relevant.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Sorry, had to check on the terminology before posting - I meant rotary shaver.

rotary-electric-shaver-1024x541.jpg

Oh, those are different tools, the Wahl isn't a shaver, it's a trimmer.
You'll never get baby butt smooth with a Wahl super taper, even without a plastic guard on there will always be 1mm of hair left.
Similarly, i doubt you could cut your hair with a rotary shaver, you would have to first trim it to 1mm with the Wahl and then shave it smooth with a shaver.

I don't really have experience with rotary shavers, when i used to shave my face i used an old Gilett Fatboy with the old school razor blades, haven't shaved in close to 10 years...

Oh, those are different tools, the Wahl isn't a shaver, it's a trimmer.
You'll never get baby butt smooth with a Wahl super taper, even without a plastic guard on there will always be 1mm of hair left.
Similarly, i doubt you could cut your hair with a rotary shaver, you would have to first trim it to 1mm with the Wahl and then shave it smooth with a shaver.

I don't really have experience with rotary shavers, when i used to shave my face i used an old Gilett Fatboy with the old school razor blades, haven't shaved in close to 10 years...

Ah, I see! I thought this could work for both, if used on a hair short enough. Anyway, I'm using Remington trimmer right now, 2mm setting and am pretty happy overall with it, just gotta do several passes.

As for shaving, disposable plastic shavers, the 5 in one package kinda deal. Tho I use one several times before switching to another 'cause I'm super cheap when it comes to that stuff.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Remington do a palm size self trimmer that works a treat with my long grade one buzz cut. Charge & go, great bit of kit.

MrProper

Ah, I see! I thought this could work for both, if used on a hair short enough. Anyway, I'm using Remington trimmer right now, 2mm setting and am pretty happy overall with it, just gotta do several passes.

As for shaving, disposable plastic shavers, the 5 in one package kinda deal. Tho I use one several times before switching to another 'cause I'm super cheap when it comes to that stuff.
A Wahl trimmer I have for the beard. For the head I find the Gilette / Wilkinson / etc. with 5 blades best. I do once a week blindly in the shower.
The disposable razors don't work well for me. The ones with 5 blades last forever. Since I need maybe 2 per year.

A Wahl trimmer I have for the beard. For the head I find the Gilette / Wilkinson / etc. with 5 blades best. I do once a week blindly in the shower.
The disposable razors don't work well for me. The ones with 5 blades last forever. Since I need maybe 2 per year.

Huh! The thing is, general opinion about the 5 blades is polarizing, with some reviews claiming it's the closest, safest and least fussy shave ever and the others saying there are zero benefits upgrading from 3 blade setup like the Mach 3. The disposable ones don't feel nice at all but I've never had the courage to try the 5 blades 'cause it's much pricier. But I will now, once I use up all the cheapos.

Lots of people are switching to standard razor setup but that seems like too big of a fuss...

I'm really glad I stopped thinking my appearance has to rely on my hair and beard. It's so liberating just getting rid of it all tho I still say beards are super cool. Just not mine.

dannyk

One Too Many
Huh! The thing is, general opinion about the 5 blades is polarizing, with some reviews claiming it's the closest, safest and least fussy shave ever and the others saying there are zero benefits upgrading from 3 blade setup like the Mach 3. The disposable ones don't feel nice at all but I've never had the courage to try the 5 blades 'cause it's much pricier. But I will now, once I use up all the cheapos.

Lots of people are switching to standard razor setup but that seems like too big of a fuss...

I'm really glad I stopped thinking my appearance has to rely on my hair and beard. It's so liberating just getting rid of it all tho I still say beards are super cool. Just not mine.
I think it really depends on what you’re using it for. For my face I notice 0 difference between 5 and 3 blades. On my head I do. I try to use soaps, shave creams, single blades bought in bulk. Sometimes I am just too lazy or time strapped to go through it all. I don’t know if 5 contour the dips and dives of a scalp or if it’s because I have more hairs to mow down there or what.

MrProper

The thing is, general opinion about the 5 blades is polarizing, with some reviews claiming it's the closest, safest and least fussy shave ever and the others saying there are zero benefits upgrading from 3 blade setup like the Mach 3.
That is certainly habit and also a matter of taste. I can only speak for myself and I notice the difference enormously. Currently I use one with fewer blades because I had forgotten to buy new 5s. And it was a huge difference for me. In the face I notice but less strongly than on the head.
The disposable blades I had used for the last time on vacation because I had forgotten the good. That was a disaster. Has taken forever and the simple blade did not cope well with the few days old stubble.
But ultimately, only everyone must find his "recipe" and good it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff