Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things you want but cannot justify buying...

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Well, you can't have that, but if you're an American citizen you are entitled to:
a heated kidney shaped pool,
a microwave oven--don't watch the food cook,
a Dyna-Gym--I'll personally demonstrate it in the privacy of your own home,
a kingsize Titanic unsinkable Molly Brown waterbed with polybendum,
a foolproof plan and an airtight alibi,
real simulated Indian jewelry,
a Gucci shoetree,
a year's supply of antibiotics,
a personally autographed picture of Randy Mantooth
and Bob Dylan's new unlisted phone number,
a beautifully restored 3rd Reich swizzle stick,
Rosemary's baby,
a dream date in kneepads with Paul Williams,
a new Matador,
a new mastadon,
a Maverick,
a Mustang,
a Montego,
a Merc Montclair,
a Mark IV,
a meteor,
a Mercedes,
an MG,
or a Malibu,
a Mort Moriarty,
a Maserati,
a Mac truck,
a Mazda,
a new Monza,
or a moped,
a Winnebago--Hell, a herd of Winnebago's we're giving 'em away,
or how about a McCulloch chainsaw,
a Las Vegas wedding,
a Mexican divorce,
a solid gold Kama Sutra coffee pot,
or a baby's arm holding an apple?

Well, you can't have that, but if you're an American citizen you are entitled to:
a heated kidney shaped pool,
a microwave oven--don't watch the food cook,
a Dyna-Gym--I'll personally demonstrate it in the privacy of your own home,
a kingsize Titanic unsinkable Molly Brown waterbed with polybendum,
a foolproof plan and an airtight alibi,
real simulated Indian jewelry,
a Gucci shoetree,
a year's supply of antibiotics,
a personally autographed picture of Randy Mantooth
and Bob Dylan's new unlisted phone number,
a beautifully restored 3rd Reich swizzle stick,
Rosemary's baby,
a dream date in kneepads with Paul Williams,
a new Matador,
a new mastadon,
a Maverick,
a Mustang,
a Montego,
a Merc Montclair,
a Mark IV,
a meteor,
a Mercedes,
an MG,
or a Malibu,
a Mort Moriarty,
a Maserati,
a Mac truck,
a Mazda,
a new Monza,
or a moped,
a Winnebago--Hell, a herd of Winnebago's we're giving 'em away,
or how about a McCulloch chainsaw,
a Las Vegas wedding,
a Mexican divorce,
a solid gold Kama Sutra coffee pot,
or a baby's arm holding an apple?

With the last one, others are sure to follow.

I dream about owning every Harley I want. Stashing then in a huge barn like Leno. Maybe in the next life. Though I’m reasonably sure that where I am going it is too hot to ride.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
an MG,
Poole Goes Vintage 02.jpg

You can covet mine, I don't mind.

422746823.JPG
Sometimes it's best to walk away, I keep telling myself that, but this has been my record player for quite a few decades now. You can't beat vinyl records, scratches and all, played on a valve driven jukebox.

Damon141

Practically Family
Lmao. I could of sworn I saw some of your fit pictures a few years ago when you had hair and a decent fade to go along with it.

One it starts going though, it sure can go fast
I started noticing mine a little thinner in the back and receding in the front and on and off I’ve been using Propecia or Finistride or monoxidal

zebedee

One Too Many
A Himel Canuck. I've wanted one for ages, but I can't justify the price because I know that I would feel disappointed to have spent that much money on a piece of clothing.

Damon141

Practically Family
Hair is completely overrated. I already shaved mine off when I still had some. And what's the saying? A beautiful face needs space. *lol*
Hey some coolest actors like Bruce Willis and Jason Stratham have proudly displayed a bald head, if I ever lost anymore I would surely go bald I wouldn’t try to hold onto it and have hair growing on the sides and not the top, it would be Gillette shaven all the way.
Some woman actually like it

Damon141

Practically Family
A Himel Canuck. I've wanted one for ages, but I can't justify the price because I know that I would feel disappointed to have spent that much money on a piece of clothing.
I’m in the same boat with the Kensington, I had bought one in used in new condition for a great price which didn’t fit and ended up loosing my ass on it. Very few jackets hold their value, I would say some Freewheelers and a good vintage piece hold best.

There is a site I posted in the deals thread which have a couple Himel jackets cheaper than I’ve ever seen $(1,500) but only 2 models and limited sizes non bespoke

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is the one for me
21F654F9-9C11-4B53-930B-4A2643320E61.jpeg

The Mister Freedom Baloo Grizzly. I love everything about this jacket, and to my eyes they got everything absolutely perfect. Price actually seems reasonable to me for what it is, but I’ve already got way too many nice jackets that I never wear and this just seems to me like it would be the least practical of the bunch. Doesn’t stop me from wanting it though.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I hate to be a buzz kill but while my rampant consumerism often has me lusting after things, experience and wisdom has taught me they only fill the void for a very short time. It’s what keeps me from clicking buy often. I’m not great at it and have lost a bundle selling the things i just had to have. Dinner with my wife, hanging with the kids, a round or two with the fellas, that’s where my money is best spent. That said, damn I want a bike i can put a sidecar on for Hank the wonder mutt!

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've definitely hard-wired myself into not wanting to buy anything expensive even though I know I have the money and frankly, I am tired of it, constantly desiring clothes I cannot possibly bring myself to pay for. So, I was just wondering, anyone else feeling that way?

This thread isn't about whether a certain leather jacket or whatever is too expensive. It isn't & I'm pretty sure we all here can afford any jacket we want so that's not the point. I can't think of a single leather jacket I couldn't buy several times over but I'm annoyed with the nagging feeling that it'd be an immensely stupid thing to do - Even though I will happily drop same amount of money for several cheap(er) jackets!

Anyway, I'm genuinely curious about how others feel about it but I mainly want to see what pieces y'all occasionally look at but simply can't bring yourself to buy.

And I'm not talking about grails or anything like that, no; Just something you hate wanting so badly! It can be whatever, no matter how stupid. :D

I'll start off with this Saint Laurent...

UajrSYqGReGDM1OFT1Di

You should be banned from the site for this. I don't think there is a single garment I hate more than the "SLP moto", lol.

I hate to be a buzz kill but while my rampant consumerism often has me lusting after things, experience and wisdom has taught me they only fill the void for a very short time. It’s what keeps me from clicking buy often. I’m not great at it and have lost a bundle selling the things i just had to have. Dinner with my wife, hanging with the kids, a round or two with the fellas, that’s where my money is best spent. That said, damn I want a bike i can put a sidecar on for Hank the wonder mutt!

Oh, that's & I think many of us here are chemically dependent on the serotonin derived from buying clothes we don't need, most of which at this point can only turn out to be inferior to the stuff we already acquired (and sold, which also causes the same effect because it corrects the mistake we k̵n̵o̵w̵ believe we've made but that's another story altogether) but honestly, if it does make me happy, why drop money on something that doesn't make me happy?

Things that I need, like household stuff depress me because it isn't the life I chose & I don't want to need things just because it is socially acceptable though utterly inconsequential. But I'm maladjusted anyway so that's not normal and not like people feel at all 'cause people seem to enjoy that stuff so that's okay.

On the other hand, I enjoy buying gifts! That's one thing I never regretted. Maybe whenever I nearly decide to pull the trigger on something really expensive, I should just buy a gift. I mean, the money's forfeit anyway so why not just re-direct it toward something that will actually leave me with a feeling of happiness that won't fade away within a couple of days?

You should be banned from the site for this. I don't think there is a single garment I hate more than the "SLP moto", lol.

Bro... Look at it! Even the pocket setup is dead on. That longass zipper...

Seriously tho, there's a lot of them. Most are junk but this one and the black and white Fidelity are top quality stuff!

Proceeding with junk I want and don't want.

55582-181206-0203_1.jpg

55582-181206-0203_2.jpg

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I think I mentioned before, I have a hard wiring in my brain for not wanting things, if there is interesting leather jacket I just save the pictures for inspiration, same with other stuff. I enjoy things I already have and happy to see other people post their jackets. but if being completely honest it is in the digital world I want to have some skin for the game I'm playing on my phone, but the skin cost the same with a complete PC game.. just 1 skin and it has to be drawn through random gacha draws ... a complete scam, but I really want that skin...

Edward

Bartender
TBH, I honestly think I've gotten to a stage where there's nothing I can really think of that I would desperately love 'but for' the price. Plenty of stuff I think is nice but could never justify the money on (99% of Japanese repro stuff I see on sale - though that's no biggie as 90% of it isn't available in my size anyhow), but not a lot of it that I think I would actually be prepared to pay for even given unlimited funds. Same with guitars. Used to like the pricey stuff years ago, but now it's lost its allure. Money no object I'd probably buy a 6xxx series Gretsch or two - though more because the left handed options are better than they are in the budget range than anything else.

Maybe part if it is having worked out from experience where for me the point if diminishing returns kicks in, and just not finding any allure in the 'exclusiveness' of highest end prices? I was really impressed with the Clinch engineer boots when I handled some, but I can't even begin to imagine spending £1300 on a pair of boots that I don't honestly consider objectively better for my purposes than a pair at half that price. Another big factor I suppose is having realised that even if I did spend that, I'd be too concerned about looking after them to actually wear the damn things without worrying the whole time.

Something that is definitely a factor for me is that ultimately it's all "just clothes". I don't really think of this as a hobby or as collecting - it's all about wardrobe. If it's not something I would reasonably take out and wear on a regular enough basis, there doesn't seem any point.

Oh, here's one, though: I think if I did have the big lottery win, I might justify splurging on a Tudor Black Bay 59. Not a Rolex - they're too 'modern' looking for my tastes now. The Tudor has the older aesthetic which I much prefer. I could save up and buy it as things are, it would take maybe eighteen months, but for that money I'd much rather have a new leather jacket and a big holiday.

dannyk

One Too Many
Thanks …. That’s all I needed lol.

36 month wait time though.
Yeah Kreosote is brutal wait times. Because it’s literally Gabbard the owner. No other staff. And he does everything you can do by hand and hand tool by hand and hand tool and uses old classic machinery for what needs machines. Plus like I said in my post earlier he also hand stains, died, and/or waxes a majority of his products as well. So the wait times are outrageous but also understandable. I’d love to get a used pair of a custom pair that didn’t fit but they just don’t exist. He only makes like 50-60 pairs of boots a year at the rate he can move so the market is tiny. Plus most people are not selling because they are so happy with the product. Maybe if I ever win the lottery. Although a friend did point out that because wait times are so long I could just put like 50 bucks a paycheck aside and by the time I owe the final payment it would be like 3 years later haha.

Viking752

Practically Family
So many thoughts on this topic, many of which have been expressed on this thread are the way I feel. For me I have come to the realization that it’s more the journey than the destination. I went through the grail watch phase in the mid-2000’s and eventually acquired my grail timepiece. As with most things for me I also had to buy other watches to fill that void until I reached nirvana. Thankfully for the sake of my bank account I have not bought a new watch since 2006 and i am ok with that. However, my fellow watch collector buddy has not stopped and has quite the collection now. The one pictured that he recently purchased kinda makes me want to come out of my self imposed retirement. I could afford it but just can’t push myself to spend it or jump back into the search and destroy mode.
8F6DA0BC-8B45-49E4-8077-7A56CA138A01.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ