Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Think you're man enough to handle a BarnStormer flyboy...? No wimps allowed!!

Nirvana

New in Town
Well, I should be looking at a February delivery for my Barnstormer. I just got off the phone with Mark, he's going to be sending me the samples of course, but I've pretty much narrowed mine down to the Middle weight, Russet color, Jerky texture, but I haven't quite got down either the Plaid wool or the Cotton Drill lining.

I might pass on to other readers here, Mark mentioned that Aero will be increasing their prices across the board on their products when they get back from the Holidays, so I feel good with myself that I have locked in the price on mine now.

Next is going to be which hat or cap to get, or one of each to match. I think and Indiana Jones type just would not look fitting with this jacket and for the 30's era. I looked through the various hats, and I find that the long billed Ivy or possibly in a paperboy would be proper, but I can't find in leather, exactly what I'm looking for. I wonder if I might have to have that made also?????

So I guess I may have to go out and buy myself a bottle of the bubbly now and celebrate.

Nirvana

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Nirvana said:
Next is going to be which hat or cap to get, or one of each to match. I think and Indiana Jones type just would not look fitting with this jacket and for the 30's era. I looked through the various hats, and I find that the long billed Ivy or possibly in a paperboy would be proper, but I can't find in leather, exactly what I'm looking for. I wonder if I might have to have that made also?????

For what it's worth, I wear mine with a fedora almost all the time and it seems to look fine.

Roll on February, then, and another member for the Squadron!

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Close, Barry, but not quite: that's an Eastman Luftwaffe jacket. If I'm not wearing a suit, you're most likely to find me in that jacket, since of the many black leather jackets I've owned over the years it is by far my favourite.

Barry

Practically Family
I don't know about the jackets but the site linked to Mulholland Bros. in San Francisco - they have some nice looking bags.

Does anyone have information on Mulholland Bros?

Thanks,

Barry

MJCR

One of the Regulars
Nirvana said:
Well, I should be looking at a February delivery for my Barnstormer. I just got off the phone with Mark, he's going to be sending me the samples of course, but I've pretty much narrowed mine down to the Middle weight, Russet color, Jerky texture, but I haven't quite got down either the Plaid wool or the Cotton Drill lining.

I might pass on to other readers here, Mark mentioned that Aero will be increasing their prices across the board on their products when they get back from the Holidays, so I feel good with myself that I have locked in the price on mine now.

So I guess I may have to go out and buy myself a bottle of the bubbly now and celebrate.

Nirvana

Excellent news on taking the plunge, I've worn mine five or six times now and it's a hell of a coat. It's starting to break in better than I'd feared, I can even sit down in it know without undoing the buttons!

I know what you mean about the hat, I've tried the Fedora with it and, while I think it looks fine, I find if I have the collar up (my prefered way of wearing it) it keps bumping the hat! Any one have any advice on that?

Nirvana

New in Town
MJCR

MJ,

What grain/texture did you end up going with. I'm really leaning towards the "Jerky" grain rather than a vintage or smooth.

Also, and this would be you too Bagger, across your shoulders, that seam that ends at your sleeve, does it drape past the end of your should by maybe 1/2 to 1 inch?

In the jacket photo of AERO's display, it appears to extend about 1/2 to 1 inch beyond the shoulder, to me that makes it appear that the coat is a bit too large across the shoulders?

Could you advise please?

Thank you,

Now I'm getting anxious!!!

Nirvana

Vanson Leathers

SHARPETOYS said:
Well according to the info the jacket is from Vanson Leathers which is a venerable motorcyle jacket maker and much beloved by motorcycle enthusiasts. (I had friends that swore by their Vanson's!)

Here is Vanson's website:
http://www.vansonleathers.com/

MJCR

One of the Regulars
Nirvana said:
MJ,

What grain/texture did you end up going with. I'm really leaning towards the "Jerky" grain rather than a vintage or smooth.

Also, and this would be you too Bagger, across your shoulders, that seam that ends at your sleeve, does it drape past the end of your should by maybe 1/2 to 1 inch?

In the jacket photo of AERO's display, it appears to extend about 1/2 to 1 inch beyond the shoulder, to me that makes it appear that the coat is a bit too large across the shoulders?

Could you advise please?

Thank you,

Now I'm getting anxious!!!

Nirvana

Hi Nirvana

Sorry for the slow reponse, it's been a hell of a week. I went for the standard heavy FQHH in brown, it's very thick and reels like you're wearing a tank. It's starting to soften up after a few weeks of wear and I love it to bits. If I was going to go for another one in a few years (I'm thinking of it) I'd like the same coat in the seal brown A2 horsehide. It wouls be great for warmer weather!

As to size, I take a 48" chest in a suit jacket and I'm on the hefty side. The jacket is nice and roomy, but I wouldn't have been able to wear a size down from the 48R I bought.

Michael.

Nirvana

New in Town
Barnstormer arrived, and I soiled my pants!!

The postman left about 45 minutes ago, and here I sit in my New Aero Barnstormer typing this out. OH My!! I think I soiled myself when I took it out of the box. It is a Russett color in Jerky, with drill lining. The fit...it's as if I had went over to AERO in person, and stood there while they took each measurement then returned to the table to stitch it together.

BAGGERS or MJCR you'll have to E:mail me so I can send you the pictures, and have you post them for me, since I only went to third grade and never really learned how to use one of these fangled contraptions called a computer.

Too bad all of you cannot see the grin I have on my face right now.

Nirvana

Nirvana

New in Town
Dare I say!!!

I like this Barnstormer so much, I just ordered a "Hercules" in the heavy F/Q with the drill lining from AERO. Only modifications is to make the pull straps on the sides just a skosh longer, the vintage color for the zips. (bright brass or silver-no)

And I'm having a "Made for" and the date it was made, tag put on the inside pocket like I had done with the Barnstormer.

It was suggested I go with about a 1/2 size larger than the Barnstormer because the heavy F/Q will not stretch out in time like the lighter hide I had with the Barnstormer, and the over all fit is a little more form fitting than the looser more boxy cut of some of their other jackets.

You can see what my Barnstormer looks like, it's been put in the AERO's gallery of customers jackets. I"m proud of that....

So... I'll keep everyone informed, and try and get the pitctures taken with me modeling.....Just look at the product and don't kill the messenger!!!!

Nirvana

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart