Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Think you're man enough to handle a BarnStormer flyboy...? No wimps allowed!!

Edward

Bartender
1911 Man said:
Thank you all for the kind words.

Details:

Standard brown FQHH, but I did ask for the darkest shade brown available in that hide.

I got the red tartan wool lining, and asked for two interior pockets, which I got. I also asked for two additional belt loops on the back, an idea borrowed from Bladesmith on this forum. He posted pics a few months ago of an Aero Admiral Byrd model made for him with extra belt loops, and I liked them. I will post additional pics soon of close up details.

Then I will wait patiently for winter.

Good idea on the belt loops. I hope eventually (it'll be a couple of years off, though) to order an elongated Barnstormer, though I'll have to have a long chat with Aero regarding the materials, as I plan to wear it over a suit. I've been told that these can be rather too warm for that if I'm not careful!

marineabilly

A-List Customer
Flightjacket.com Barnstormer

Hello. I've done some searching around the forums and although there are some threads about the flightjacket.com Barnstormer, there doesn't seem to be any real pictures of them. Is there anyone out there who has taken the plunge and purchased this jacket? It looks like an amazing jacket, but I would really love to see them being worn. I'd even settle for original pictures (less the ones on the flightjacket site).

I've been eyeballing this jacket for years now, but becuase there are so many jacket's I want, I'd like to do some visual research first.

Cheers!!

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
I dont have any photos myself, but i have seen one in person. It was a great looking jacket, it looked well made and the colour was a beautiful russet. Worn by a fellow flying a Myers OTW biplane at the russel Group airshow in june this year.

Interbak

One of the Regulars
If you want pictures you'll have to find someone who actually owns one. I asked Shaul for detailed pictures of the barnstormer last year and he didn't have any.

Brian

DBLIII

One of the Regulars
Aero Barnstormer Sheepskin Lined

Hi all - I did a lot of searching (and learning) about coats here, but I couldn't find anything specific about this coat that AeroUSA has listed. I'd really appreciate any comments if one of you have this coat, as after reading multiple posts, I'm wondering whether this coat would just be too much warmth to actually wear. My climate when I'd wear this is 50 degrees F to perhaps a bit below 0 degrees F, with moderate to high winds. So, sheepskin lined or just the regular Barnstormer with a cotton lining for more all-around use?
After about 3 years of some rather tough life events, I'm about to reward myself and pull the trigger on an Aero. I was first considering a B-3, but the Barnstormer just looks "nice" :) as in classy.
Any comments would be very much appreciated. Oh, and I have no blood, so I'm cold all the time anyway - I can easily tolerate a long wool coat at 50 degrees F and wear a wool vest all day in my office. That's why the sheepskin-lined Barnstormer appeals to me.
Thank you all in advance.

Peacoat

Bartender
The leather jackets with no insulation--just the cotton drill lining--are cold at anything below 50 degrees for me. I, too, am cold natured because I don't have a lot of natural insulation on my body.

Aero has a blanket lining and an Alpaca lining, which are thin but a little warmer than the cotton. My Alpaca works in the 40's, but is not real warm. I usually layer, or wear something warmer when the temperature is much below 45.

I imagine your temps there in MO are about the same as we have in TN, although our winter temps don't much get above the low to mid 40s on a good day. So, something with insulation is a necessity. Go with the sheepskin lining and be warm. When it gets up to the 40's, you can always unzip the front and dissipate the warmth you don't need.

I agree with Peacoat. I have an Aero Longshoreman(hvy FQHH with shearling lining). It is warm...but not sweltering so...as a B3. i would imagine that the Barnstormer would be similar..but cover more.
HD

DJS Press

One of the Regulars
I think it depends on your own tolerance to cold, metabolism, and level of activity.

I have an Aero Highwayman with cotton drill lining that I've worn in temps down into the teens. Granted, it wasn't for extended periods of time, and I wouldn't want to wear it for ice fishing or sitting in the stands of a football game in Minnesota. I also have a Long Half Belt with wool lining that's just a bit warmer.

Either way, I think the drill or wool linings offer a wider range of comfort for me.

Shearling is way warmer (I also own a B3), but if you're level of activity is high you will cook in that jacket if it's much above the 30's. Even then you will probably be wearing it open a good percentage of the time.

I think the Barnstormer is an awesome jacket, and I'd like to get one someday, but I wouldn't get it in shearling unless I lived in a very cold place. Since you're in Missouri, it may not get much wear time. At that pace, breaking it in will also take a l-o-n-g time if you get it in FQHH.

DBLIII

One of the Regulars
Thank you all for your comments. Decisions, decisions. DJS Press - I was initially considering a B3 but backed off of that a bit due to a thread here about temperature ranges and comments where above 30 degrees F, it would be too hot. On the other hand, when I lived in West Chester, PA, I wore a Schott "biker jacket" that had the quilted insulation and about froze to death. Of course, I looked good.......
No telling what I'll end up with. I have an Aero A-2 on the way now (got it off ebay from a private seller, not AeroUSA, so I could see what an Aero jacket is like), so that may influence whether I get a purely very cold weather coat or decide to get one for more year-round wear.

Again, thanks to you all. My wife says I have become "obsessed" with figuring out what coat to get. Oh, well. At least I'm not out running around getting into trouble!

Peacoat

Bartender
You will become more obsessed as you spend more time thinking about the jackets; she might as well get used to it! Good luck whichever way you go. And let us know what you decided.

DJS Press

One of the Regulars
Yeah, it doesn't much matter what you get because it won't be the last one anyway!

I've been getting a hankerin' to pick up a gently-used Filson Double Mackinaw Cruiser (or something like it) lately, but unfortunately my size (46 long/extra long) eliminates about 98% of the available jackets out there.

Then of course there's the Aero Barnstormer, or the Mariner, or the Hercules, or a really cool looking wool topcoat, and something in buffalo, or bison, or, or, or.......

DBLIII

One of the Regulars
DJS Press said:
Yeah, it doesn't much matter what you get because it won't be the last one anyway!

I've been getting a hankerin' to pick up a gently-used Filson Double Mackinaw Cruiser (or something like it) lately, but unfortunately my size (46 long/extra long) eliminates about 98% of the available jackets out there.

Then of course there's the Aero Barnstormer, or the Mariner, or the Hercules, or a really cool looking wool topcoat, and something in buffalo, or bison, or, or, or.......

DJS -- on the Aero, I am kind of leaning your direction, to get one without the sheepskin so I can wear it more of the year. Not positive yet, of course...
I have worn a Filson Double Mackinaw for 10+ years. You can't go wrong. Beat it to death and just keep going. I didn't get the shearling collar (the Packer coat) because I was afraid I'd stain the shearling too much - another reason I'm going back and forth on the Aero Barnstormer with sheepskin. I am cold-blooded, but I perspire nicotine, so it all ends up stained, except leather.
Now, as to your comment on buffalo/bison - soft, reasonably warm but not as warm as a heavy wool vest. Can take some abuse. Elkskin, which you didn't mention = better be out in the cold, but it stains easily. Did I say it was warm?
Now, a fur-on bison is another story. I don't have one, but I do have a buffalo gun :D

Thanks again for your earlier comments. Since you have a B-3 and experience with sheepskin, I tend to weigh that into my thinking. No telling with me, though.

icecold

One of the Regulars
Hi there, fantastic jacket. I'll be getting one (although I live in Texas! It doesn't matter!).

I have a question about the handwarmer pockets: this is obviously a very tough jacket. But, are the handwarmer pockets entirely leather-lined? I ask, because it seems that if not, this would allow for water and snow to penetrate the jacket if, hypothetically, you find yourself walking through the harshest of weather, no? So basically do these pockets introduce a major vunlerability spot, relative to the toughness of the surroungins smooth leather, or am I just obsessing too much (about toughness...)?

1911 Man

A-List Customer
No, the pockets are not leather lined, but I don't think they would allow a great deal of water in due to their angle. You would have to be in extreme weather for that, but the open collar design probably allows more water in than the pockets. I haven't had it out in an intense downpour yet, and probably won't. I live in a desert, it's too easy to avoid :)

ratpack66

New in Town
1911 Man said:
All I can say is, wow.

I have an Aero A2 already, so I have first hand knowledge of Aero's quality, but this surpassed even my high hopes. It fits great, it is superbly crafted, but I only have one photo right now because it is too hot to wear it for longer than one photo at a time :)

I'll post more photos when it cools a bit. It arrived yesterday, and the temperature reached 95 F that afternoon.

Cheers!

HPIM0904.jpg
Awesome looking jacket.Looks real good on you.I'm going to have to get myself one of those

Burnsie

Missed this the first time around - incredible jacket 1911 Man! How's it breaking in? I have had several Aero A-2's but this jacket is worth thinking about seriously - looks sharp!

winston

New in Town
It looks like it fits perfectly. If Utah is cool enough now, could you get some more photos of you in it? I'd especially like to see how well it fits around the sleeve openings when you arms are raised. 'twould be educational.

Until I saw this photo I had written off the Barnstormer as unattractively big-fitting because of how it looks in aero's photos. Same can be said for most of their photos, actually. Aero should improve their gallery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo