Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thinking about a work of Art

GreyHat

New in Town
So, I have been considering stepping up and getting a nicer fedora and all of the works of Art that I have seen both here and on his site look beautiful. Would people here recommend getting one of these beauties? What I am considering is either the limited edition Rt66 or HST or getting something else made in either silver belly or blue smoke (although I am still open to other suggestions on color). Any recommendations you might have would be helpful.

Thanks,
Charles

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
GreyHat said:
So, I have been considering stepping up and getting a nicer fedora and all of the works of Art that I have seen both here and on his site look beautiful. Would people here recommend getting one of these beauties? What I am considering is either the limited edition Rt66 or HST or getting something else made in either silver belly or blue smoke (although I am still open to other suggestions on color). Any recommendations you might have would be helpful.

Thanks,
Charles

GET ONE!You won't regret it. Both hats and colors you mentioned are great. You can't go wrong with either.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
I would absolutely recommend getting one of his hats!! :D My 3rd work of Art will most likely be in Silverbelly. I am extremely happy with the 2 that I have now and know the next 3 I want!:eusa_doh: lol

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Living in Oregon I've had the pleasure to visit Art's place several times and I also own one of his creations. If you bought a similar quality hat from any other hatter it would cost you in the neighborhood of $600. No joke. You can't go wrong. My only suggestion would be to take a good look at the clothes you wear the most often and then ask your self what color would go best with them. Generally browns and grays go with more options than a blue smoke would.

fedoralover

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Art's hats are second to none. I have an ever growing collection (5 felts so far). I have a Blue Smoke fedora, and the color is really great. But Fedoralover is right. Pay attention to what you wear (that goes for any hat color, really). Blue Smoke will be more limited than, say, Granite, but if you usually wear stuff that goes with a bluish gray, you're set! And ribbon choice can also help to expand.

My favorite colors; Blue Smoke, Steel, and Mojave. I guess mojave is the brown-scale answer to Silverbelly... [huh]

Another key word of advice; Communicate with Art. Ask questions and solicit his opinions and ideas. You won't regret it.

GreyHat

New in Town
Well, generally, I tend towards clothing more to the blue and grey end of the spectrum. Suits are the same way (charcoal and grey mostly). Steel was another color that I am considering. I suppose I'll have to contact Art and see what he has and what he might recommend. I really like the blue smoke color, but I have seen so many colors from him that I like.

Selentino

One of the Regulars
Do talk to Art! I just ordered my first hat from him and he is really easy to talk to. I am also interested in the 66 and HST. I'll get one of each. I explained my problems with past hats and we had the problem solved in two minutes.:eusa_clap.

anon`

One Too Many
Everything that's been said so far in this thread... I completely agree with. Especially the part about giving Art a call and picking his brain for ideas. The most recent hat I bought from him was purchased on a relatively simple premise: I needed something that went well with all shades of dark blue and navy and grey and charcoal. I pretty much left it at that, and the end result was essentially a "Trackside" in steel, with a burgundy ribbon with a little grey accent stripe in the knot. It's great, and he did a fantastic job in putting my concept into blocked felt.

Very, very much recommended. Even moreso if you've got a hard-to-fit noggin!

Viper Man

Banned
anon` said:
Everything that's been said so far in this thread... I completely agree with. Especially the part about giving Art a call and picking his brain for ideas. The most recent hat I bought from him was purchased on a relatively simple premise: I needed something that went well with all shades of dark blue and navy and grey and charcoal. I pretty much left it at that, and the end result was essentially a "Trackside" in steel, with a burgundy ribbon with a little grey accent stripe in the knot. It's great, and he did a fantastic job in putting my concept into blocked felt.

Very, very much recommended. Even moreso if you've got a hard-to-fit noggin!

I would LOVE to see photos of this one.

MrFusion

One of the Regulars
Just do it! :)
I have two from Art - The Sportaire and the Brooklyn. Art is a great guy to work with and quite the gentleman.
I also have my eye on the HST but I would really like to collaborate with Art on my next hat design. My problem, like so many others here is that my hat desires are WAY bigger than my wallet! ;)

You know Art, what you need is a direct deposit from my paycheck every payday so I can get new works of Art on a regular basis!:D

animator

One of the Regulars
Is there anyone who has stopped at just one VS hat? After the first one it is hard to buy any other hat.

Save yourself some time and order two at once.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
MrFusion said:
Just do it! :)
I have two from Art - The Sportaire and the Brooklyn.

I really like the Sportaire.

For UK customers, if he does business over here (I'm seriously considering getting one of his masterpieces) the prices are more than competitive with Lock & Co. In fact, my purchase is almost a dead cert, now I come to think of it...!

End of month, though, on pay day.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I will echo what everyone here has already said. If you enjoy wearing a hat, then you cannot go wrong with a hat from Mr. Fawcett. I spent way more money trying to find just the "right" hat before I bought my hat from Art. If I had known about his hats earlier, I could have saved a lot of money and time.

The hat I have is in the "blue smoke" color. I wear navy blue, charcoal, light, and medium gray suits every day, and the "blue smoke" color goes exceptionally well with all of them. The color is really a light to medium grey (I think the word "blue" may be a bit misleading), probabally what would be called a "pearl gray" in other terms.

I have truly been spoiled by my hat from Art, and very rarely will I wear any other hat now. I cannot recommend his work high enough. I can guarantee that you will be exceptionally pleased with whatever style and color you choose.

MG-B

New in Town
The only thing better than a work of Art...is two or three or ...

I agree with all the postings here -- working with Art on a custom hat is a great pleasure. Over the last couple of years we have built up my options to match my wardrobe. I started with a granite, added a "Brooklyn" (rust color works with my top coat and have used it for two winters in Pennsylvania so far). After we got the gray and brown covered, we progressed to my custom powder blue with mocha ribbon (Trackside -- "Philly-Style" in my avatar) and now I'm waiting to open my Father's Day gift an Artlight (featherweight) in Silver Mist with a burgundy ribbon. In between, there has been a couple of custom made Panama hats (body by Panama Bob) to help keep my scalp from burning.

The hats are fantastic! Beyond that, the experience is truly great, from the day of your first conversation to the years of enjoyment from the hat and ongoing discussions with Art. Enjoy!

Mark G

A-List Customer
As with the other posters, I agree. Art does a great job. I have a granite with a half inch ribbon and one Panama that Art refurbished and a Panama from Panamabob blocked by Art in the mail. Say Panama three times real fast.

IMG_4480.jpg

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Thank you so much for the recommendations Gentlemen. Hearing this kind of stuff never gets old.
GreyHat, I've just answered your email prior to coming on to find this thread. By all means, give me a call & we can go over colors. I also live on a working ranch so if you don't reach me, please just leave a message & I'll get back to you. The animals/ranch/ "honey" keep my schedule umm...interesting. It is SO odd to be mucking horse stalls one minute, then working on a museum quality panama...so odd..

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
This thread makes me wonder, Art why don't you have a testamonials page on your site?!

IC, when I talked to my web designer what went ( and goes) through my head were the words of my late father. When he found out that there was a photographer following my masonry jobs and selling the pictures to magazines and giving me copies of the pics for a portfolio he went ballistic. "What, you some kind of bigshot now??? What good are pictures when you are only as good as the job you are doing!!" It took me a while to understand, but what he meant was that I could have built the Taj Mahal, but if I screw up YOUR job ( read that as hat) I'm still a bum in your eyes. There's alot of truth to what he said and I live in near mortal fear that I someday won't be able to live up to threads like this and especialy the "Art Fawcett Hall of Fame" thread. It almost feels like bragging, which is tough for me. Not in my nature Sir SO, no testimonial pages for my site. The hats HAVE to speak for themselves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR