Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thinking of buying my first schott, what do you guys think of it?

Viking752

Practically Family
71A0F3FA-8AE4-4F2A-8859-5DB8B8E44A2A.jpeg

This is currently for sale on EBay out of Japan. Quality looks good to me and I believe it’s in the $350 range US. Size 38

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Aero mtm is only better if you need it. I have an OTR build. My Schott 118 patern is pure perfection for me. Schott may have had some bad years and definitely makes some ugly jackets but i think the vitriol found on fanboy sites is because they are not a boutique brand.

Viking752

Practically Family
Yep, exact one I'm looking at (except I need to pay tax and customs to the UK which brings it to $500ish). Still 50/50 on whether to pull the trigger.

if it’s of interest to you, the 5th digit on the pocket tag is a 6. Indicates it was built either 2006 or 2016 and the 113 on the tag would make it a “1“ series leather which is full analine/naked cowhide. This leather is my fav from Schott and both my 118 and 141 are built from it.

6E5E29E7-3839-4ECF-83B2-90717D497B94.jpeg

Just beware it looks like a tight fit for a 38 (16.9in shoulders / 20in chest). It is also a bit long at 25.6in down the back. The naked Cowhide is a great leather if you don’t ride and plan on wearing this casually.

newtojackets

Practically Family
if it’s of interest to you, the 5th digit on the pocket tag is a 6. Indicates it was built either 2006 or 2016 and the 113 on the tag would make it a “1“ series leather which is full analine/naked cowhide. This leather is my fav from Schott and both my 118 and 141 are built from it.

View attachment 457979
I had a look online and I believe the jacket is from 2016

newtojackets

Practically Family
Just beware it looks like a tight fit for a 38 (16.9in shoulders / 20in chest). It is also a bit long at 25.6in down the back. The naked Cowhide is a great leather if you don’t ride and plan on wearing this casually.
You’re right. I usually wear a 38 and while the chest is slightly small that shoulder with seems very small.

I believe the jacket was made for the Japanese market which would probably explain it (when I tried on RMC jackets I had to size up to a 40)

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Really insightful, I didn’t realise this forum had shifted its perspective on Schott

Personally i stand behind what i said in the thread you linked to.

Schott are not as well made as aero, the stitching is far less precise.
That is even more true now as Aero has considerably improved their stitching recently.

But I agree with Monitor that Schott patterns are better as far as MC jackets go.

I would want 17.5in shoulders and 21in chest (at least) in this style. I’m also a 38. This type shouldn’t be super-tight IMO unless you’re 19.

Last edited:

Mrfrown

One Too Many
My 2 cents echoing @Monitor and @Carlos840 (full disclosure I love Schott heh)

Schott materials are less fancy, but still way above mall jackets. I like their leather more than the Vansons I’ve handled (tho Vanson always give the vibe that you could roll over it with your car/bike/tank and it’d still be fine). The Schott patterns are very good. You put it on, it feels like a proper jacket and feels good on. The 100 series naked leather is very nice. Thick, robust, flexible, beautiful. Less shiny.

Aero has premium materials, but you may find oddities in the fit. It will most likely be incredibly beautiful, but will you enjoy wearing it? Dunno. Some experimentation across models may be necessary (I’m still in this process)

Honestly it shouldn’t come much of a surprise that this dichotomy exists- Schott produces a jacket they want to sell to modern folks. They are working on a small-ish number of patterns and tweaking them to a singular ideal. Aero is producing a very wide variety of patterns to match a bunch of different expectations of fit and wardrobe context.

You’re throwing a bit of a monkey wrench in the works by putting a Japanese market jacket in your sights, unless you have a typical Japanese build.

newtojackets

Practically Family
My 2 cents echoing @Monitor and @Carlos840 (full disclosure I love Schott heh)

Schott materials are less fancy, but still way above mall jackets. I like their leather more than the Vansons I’ve handled (tho Vanson always give the vibe that you could roll over it with your car/bike/tank and it’d still be fine). The Schott patterns are very good. You put it on, it feels like a proper jacket and feels good on. The 100 series naked leather is very nice. Thick, robust, flexible, beautiful. Less shiny.

Aero has premium materials, but you may find oddities in the fit. It will most likely be incredibly beautiful, but will you enjoy wearing it? Dunno. Some experimentation across models may be necessary (I’m still in this process)

Honestly it shouldn’t come much of a surprise that this dichotomy exists- Schott produces a jacket they want to sell to modern folks. They are working on a small-ish number of patterns and tweaking them to a singular ideal. Aero is producing a very wide variety of patterns to match a bunch of different expectations of fit and wardrobe context.

You’re throwing a bit of a monkey wrench in the works by putting a Japanese market jacket in your sights, unless you have a typical Japanese build.
Didn't even consider, the pattern of a Japanese market is likely different

roadking04

Practically Family
Schott objectively makes a better motorcycle jacket and that's all there is to it.

I love my Schott 618. I use it on my motorcycle, and it works great. I have it in steer and horse and different sizes as my weight fluctuates.

All I have to say about Monitor's comment is: there are numerous complaints about Aero zipper failures on this forum, haven't heard of any Schott zipper failures in newer jackets.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Yes. When in Japan, I noticed a large number of males on the street with slight build. I mean slight. Narrow shoulders (looked about 16"), narrow chests. They wore tight suits, which no doubt contributed to the impression. Then I went to see sumo matches, lol. But they are outliers. Japanese cuts will work for you if you are slight build imo. Of course there are larger sizes, but I cannot comment on those. But for 38 or 40 Japanese market jacket you better be around 150 lbs to have a good chance of a good fit.

Viking752

Practically Family
roadking04 “All I have to say about Monitor's comment is: there are numerous complaints about Aero zipper failures on this forum, haven't heard of any Schott zipper failures in newer jackets.”

I own a meager 3 Schott jackets and never once even considered the zippers would fail. My experience is that they use a very robust durable zipper. YMMV

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It is a trim cut 113 with the "T" but it is not made for Japanese market. It is made for Stussy's stores worldwide therefore Stussy picked the more fashionable trim cut. The Japanese order a lot of trim cut from Schott and Lewis Leather due to their average build but it is/was also the fashion trend.

newtojackets

Practically Family
It is a trim cut 113 with the "T" but it is not made for Japanese market. It is made for Stussy's stores worldwide therefore Stussy picked the more fashionable trim cut. The Japanese order a lot of trim cut from Schott and Lewis Leather due to their average build but it is/was also the fashion trend.
Are there any comparable jackets from Schott that I could use to compare?

Aloysius

Wrong. This is the Japanese cut, which is downsized. The ‘trim’/vintage fit that they use on some jackets is different. I have the spec sheets for all of them.

OP, I won’t bother addressing your misconceptions about leather because I’m sure someone else in the thread already has, but I want to alert you to the fact that this jacket will not fit.

There’s no shortage of Westerners who special order a Schott Japan jacket (because JAPAN) in their usual tagged size and look like an overcooked sausage once they put it on.

When Japanese Ametora brands (with certain exceptions) use inch-chest sizes as normal for Britain and America, it is basically an aesthetic touch to look more western. A ”38” doesn’t mean “for a 38 chest”; it’s another way of saying ‘medium’ or ‘small’ (in Japanese terms) while looking like a Western size. Think of it as a Japanese version of how British and American high street shops will have faux-Italian names for products.

I have Studio D’Artisan stuff labeled “XXL 44” that measures 20 inches pit to pit.

newtojackets

Practically Family
Wrong. This is the Japanese cut, which is downsized. The ‘trim’/vintage fit that they use on some jackets is different. I have the spec sheets for all of them.

OP, I won’t bother addressing your misconceptions about leather because I’m sure someone else in the thread already has, but I want to alert you to the fact that this jacket will not fit.

There’s no shortage of Westerners who special order a Schott Japan jacket (because JAPAN) in their usual tagged size and look like an overcooked sausage once they put it on.

When Japanese Ametora brands (with certain exceptions) use inch-chest sizes as normal for Britain and America, it is basically an aesthetic touch to look more western. A ”38” doesn’t mean “for a 38 chest”; it’s another way of saying ‘medium’ or ‘small’ (in Japanese terms) while looking like a Western size. Think of it as a Japanese version of how British and American high street shops will have faux-Italian names for products.

I have Studio D’Artisan stuff labeled “XXL 44” that measures 20 inches pit to pit.
Thanks, definitely not gonna purchase it now, shame (though my wallet is greatful)

Really fascinating that Japanese makers just add the sizes without actually meaning those numeric sizes, never knew this

Blackadder

To clarify, I am saying it is not made for the Japanese market therefore I would not use the term "Japanese" cut. It is made for a worldwide fashion/street brands available at their worldwide stores. I have no idea what cut that is as I have not gone and looked at the measurement. All I know from the photos is that they are slim straight just as I figure Stussy a street brand would choose. It is just my preference to avoid the term "Japanese" cut to describe any type of trim cut because these are not Japanese brands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21