Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Thirty Things that Need to Stage a Comeback"

LizzieMaine

Bartender
That's the thing I've noticed; all too often nowadays, learning an instrument is something middle class kids do at school or private lessons; there's less of the folk tradition of these things being handed down informally, it seems, than in the past. At least, where I grew up... of course, it seems to me based on the experience of friends in Northern Ireland that things are rather different in the Catholic community, but there you go.

Band was pretty much something every kid did when I was in school -- if you couldn't afford an instrument, the school kept a closet full of them that you could borrow. Admittedly, it wasn't a very good band, but what it did was create a consciousness that there's more to music than just slamming on a guitar.

Do grammar schools even teach "music" anymore? We used to have a regularly scheduled period every week where they'd wheel in an upright piano and the Music Teacher would teach us to sing old English ballads and Stephen Foster songs and World War 1 songs and campfire rounds and such things as that. Once again, it wasn't exactly conservatory education -- but it gave us a much better rounded sense of music in general than I think a lot of kids get today.

Last edited:

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Do grammar schools even teach "music" anymore? We used to have a regularly scheduled period every week where they'd wheel in an upright piano and the Music Teacher would teach us to sing old English ballads and Stephen Foster songs and World War 1 songs and campfire rounds and such things as that. Once again, it wasn't exactly conservatory education -- but it gave us a much better rounded sense of music in general than I think a lot of kids get today.

I remember "Music" class in grade school. Once a week we'd go to Mrs. Permito's classroom where she would have her piano set up. We'd all get dittos (!!) of the songs and we'd sing along. Sometimes they were old standards, other times they were current pop hits. We learned all the notes in singing and all the musical instrument families. Every now and again we would get the "Perfect Pitch Award" and we could bring in our own records and have a "free period." Haha. I always brought in the most records, being a lifelong music dork. We also used to watch music-based filmstrips (remember those?) and I was particularly thrilled by one that went through the decades and phases of music from the Jazz Age to the then modern day New Wave era. It was great. If school sno longer have this, it does indeed need a comeback!

Pompidou

One Too Many
They still teach music in CT, but music is the first budget cut - always. The high school band when I was in it got most of its funding from an organization of parent volunteers. In grammar school I think they hand out plastic recorders to teach instrument basics, and do some chorus. In middle school, you can elect to learn an instrument or take chorus if you want. There's a limited closet of loaner instruments, but most kids have to supply their own. In high school, it's the same deal. Our high school marching band was so small (at least 1994-1998 when I was there) that it'd take the best junior high kids to fill in the gaps.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
My god I haven't seen this in ages! I shall have to read it over again, to remember what those 30 things were!!

I believe one of them was fountain pens.

olive bleu

One Too Many
Here is the original list from the article:
1. Hats on men.
2. Record players
3. Manners
4. Discreet voices
5. Handwritten thank-you notes
6. Crudite platters
7. Road trips
8. Old-fashioned hotel lobbies9. Fountain pen
9. Fountain pen
10.Red lipstick
11.Libraries
12.Lunch...as opposed to brunch
13.Good posture
14.World-tour honeymoons
15.Manual Cameras
16.Sunday roasts
17.Bright white tennis clothes
18.Supper clubs
19.Dancing
20.Lockets
21.Discussion societies
22.Picnics
23.Train restaurants
24.Double-features
25.Pocket watches
26.Lovely,leisurely evening walks
27.Game night
28.Hobbies
29.Telegrams
30.Dumbwaiters

I would add.....Sunday drives.

olive bleu

One Too Many
oh, and the three martini lunch.

So much nicer than scarfing down a plastic encased sandwich at your desk, before dashing off to a 2 hour meeting in a windowless boardroom. ugh.

Edward

Bartender
Can't recall if I said this before, but.... if by "pocket watches" they mean *Quartz* powered options like the one i their picture, count me out! I mostly wear wristwatches, but either way I much prefer my mechanicals that gain ten minutes over the course of a month to Quartz, no matter how much more accurate the battery beasts are.

stevew443

One of the Regulars
I have gone through most of this thread and I cannot find much to disagree with. The one thing I miss is being dressed well when going out for a meal. If my wife and I go out to eat it is usually a special event so we will dress for the occasion. I will be wearing a tie and a proper jacket. Then we will be seated next to a noisy group of diners in jeans and t-shirts with men who cannot be bothered to remove their baseball caps, while yaking on their cell phones or sending text messages.

Up to about 3 years ago I would have added that I missed the old fashioned barber shop, but I found a shop with barbers who still shave your neck with a straight razor and splash on Pinaud Clubman at the end. I actually have my own barber again and visiting him once a month is my time for a bit of old fashioned luxury.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Signs painted by hand directly onto windows and brick walls.

Fountain soda made by squirting syrup into a glass, adding soda water, and stirring. For that matter, fountains that serve soda in glasses and not paper cups.

Civics class.

User-serviceable parts inside.

Telephone booths. Even if people don't use the payphones, make cellphone addicts stand inside the booths while yapping out their inconsequential yappings. Nobody needs to hear that stuff in public.

Fresh-baked pies sold off trucks in returnable pans.

Wednesday being Prince Spaghetti Day.

The dinner whistle.

Church bells.

Mom-and-Pop neighborhood grocery stores.

Vacant lots for kids to play in with no leagues, rules, schedules, or coaches whatsoever.

The rearing-cowboy, battleship, cannon, and lantern tokens in Monopoly.

Flannel baseball uniforms.

Kids who come to your door offering to shovel snow.

fashion frank

One Too Many
Signs painted by hand directly onto windows and brick walls.

Fountain soda made by squirting syrup into a glass, adding soda water, and stirring. For that matter, fountains that serve soda in glasses and not paper cups.

Civics class.

User-serviceable parts inside.

Telephone booths. Even if people don't use the payphones, make cellphone addicts stand inside the booths while yapping out their inconsequential yappings. Nobody needs to hear that stuff in public.

Fresh-baked pies sold off trucks in returnable pans.

Wednesday being Prince Spaghetti Day.

The dinner whistle.

Church bells.

Mom-and-Pop neighborhood grocery stores.

Vacant lots for kids to play in with no leagues, rules, schedules, or coaches whatsoever.

Flannel baseball uniforms.

Kids who come to your door offering to shovel snow.

Man I can relate to almost everything on that list . the "pie's with the returnable plates I remember well.

We are both from the same neck of the woods , did they have " table talk pies" when you were growing up ?

Also I can remember when I was a kid the list of "man's" was long IE :: Ice man , Milk man ,Garabge man fruit vendor ( Fruit man) the guy who sharpened your knifes from a cart in the street .
The knife man , the Fish man (monger) and we even had a guy who came around once a year in the spring with a tripod camera and a pony and we all got our picture taken . Ah the good old days when they came to you like a doctor's house call.

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

They're going to replace the iron with a cat.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21356033

13863374_HandoutphotoofthenewcatplayingpiecewhichwillreplacetheironinneweditionsofM2_zpsacd27546.jpg

Monopoly: Cat replaces iron in board game overhaul

Fans of Monopoly have voted to replace the iron with a cat-shaped playing piece in the popular board game. Following a month-long online poll, toy maker Hasbro said the feline design had beaten competition from a robot, helicopter, diamond ring and a guitar.

"I think there were a lot of cat lovers in the world that reached out," said Hasbro's Jonathan Berkowitz. It is the first time fans have had a say on which of the eight tokens to keep and which to lose. "Tokens are always a key part of the Monopoly game... and our fans are very passionate about their tokens, about which token they use while they play," Mr Berkowitz added.

The Scottie dog was the clear favourite with fans from more than 120 countries who took part in the contest to decide which token should be saved, eventually securing 29% of the vote. While the shoe, wheelbarrow and iron were neck and neck in the final hours of voting, the iron ended up with just 8% of the vote and will now be retired from the game. The cat token received 31% of the total vote

"While we're a bit sad to see the iron go, the cat token is a fantastic choice by the fans and we have no doubt it will become just as iconic as the original tokens," said Eric Nyman from Hasbro. The iron was one of the original game tokens introduced by the Parker Brothers in 1935, when the appliance was an important part of domestic life. The Scottie dog and wheelbarrow were added in the early 1950s. Previous tokens retired in the 1950s included a lantern, a purse and a rocking horse. The new cat design received 31% of the total vote and will be added to the existing tokens which include a race car, thimble, top hat, and battleship.

Versions of Monopoly with the new token will come out later this year.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner