Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This generation of kids...

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
It's sad that there are quite a number of people out there that only know enough to have heard of these events, rather than understand their significance to the character of the United States.

And from my standpoint, having an understanding of these events (and their consequences) is vital to being able to effectively operate in an increasingly international business world. (Yet alone being an informed citizen of your own country.) It is very difficult to understand other cultures without knowing at least a bit of modern history. Otherwise everything gets reduced to "that's the way we/they are and always will be" rather than actually understanding why a culture has that viewpoint.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
One thing I cant stand with the current generation of kids is how they pronounce th as f for example birthday becomes birfday..oh how I HATE that! I also cant stand how alot of the younger generation are using text language in their written work

Another one that gets me upset is pry. We will pry go to the show today instead of "We will probably go to the show today."

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I plan on majoring in History, too. I love it.

I write almost EVERYTHING in cursive. I'm an addict about it. Haha

Good for you! I have a BA and an MA in history. :)

I love, love, LOVE writing in cursive. My daughter's school is still teaching cursive, thank goodness, and she has beautiful handwriting. I think it's such a shame they don't teach it anymore in numerous places.

R.G. White

One of the Regulars
Good for you! I have a BA and an MA in history. :)

I love, love, LOVE writing in cursive. My daughter's school is still teaching cursive, thank goodness, and she has beautiful handwriting. I think it's such a shame they don't teach it anymore in numerous places.

Cursive is wonderful, it should really be taught a lot more than it is. It does great things for the brain; it's truly an art-form.
I have friends (guys at least) who write in what looks like third-grade chicken scratch.
Everyone marvels at my handwriting. It has gotten to the point where I'm a bit cocky about it, and it's not even that good!

martinsantos

Practically Family
I'm atonished about people who don't use cursive in writing. It is so much easier and quicker! Just don't figure why schools don't teach it. My parents are teachers (now retired), and they only permited me to write in cursive.

I'm a history nut as well, have always thought about going to school for it. People cannot figure out how I remember it all. Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.

While I cannot boast any sort of actual knowledge of cursive beyond my name, one thing that I do hold highly is a proper understanding of my nation's history, at least on a pretty basic level; the Revolutionary War, Civil War, the World Wars, etc... It's sad that there are quite a number of people out there that only know enough to have heard of these events, rather than understand their significance to the character of the United States. I'm actually planning to major in history, through my university education, so this is of interest to me, although I do wonder what I may do with it. I plan on writing, if anything, and perhaps if possible I may try to pursue some sort of role to play in uncovering a little bit of the world's history if I can.

Cursive

I am not sure what grade I was in when we were taught to write in cursive. I do recall that some people used the term script for cursive. My handwriting is not the best, and will often print usually all capitol letters if I need to write fast and so others can read it. That comes from my dad who learned to read blueprints and used the print form that was used on them for most of what he hand wrote.

When I am writing something like a personal letter I will write in cursive and use a fountain pen because it makes me write a little slower, better and be more thoughtful in composition. If I want it to look better i will use an Italic or Music nib which adds a bit of panache.

JimWagner

Practically Family
Not too sure how I really feel about kids not really being taught cursive these days. I do know that it's still taught in schools around here. As a practical matter I haven't used cursive myself much in the last 40 years. Not because I don't know how or can't do it, but as a computer programmer it just doesn't have a place in my day to day professional life. Typing, first on keypunch machines, then terminals, and finally personal computers is far more necessary. And even when writing out code on paper, you wouldn't do it in cursive.

About the only thing I regularly continued to use cursive for was to write and sign checks. I might do 1 check a month now that I use Quicken and automatic bill payments these days, so even signing my name is a once in a great while thing.

For me, cursive has simply become another one of those somewhat archaic skills I possess but seldom use.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I write in 'modified' cursive. It just developed over the years as I discovered quicker ways to link letters together. I like to look at people's handwriting to see how they have modified the way they write.

rue

I think it's sad that no one uses cursive anymore, but then I'm also sad that hardly anyone writes letters anymore. My grandfather had the most beautiful writing and so does my mother. I learned how to do it in school, but mine is atrocious since we were only taught the basics. Another lost art on a long growing list.

I always suggest that one writes a personal hand written (cursive) note or letter at least a few times a year. As an example I will suggest that if you have gotten a gift or had dinner with friends etc. to write a thank you note and send it via snail mail. It brightens up that person's day a whole bunch.

rue

I always do just that, but no one else does. People would rather just send an email. It's very sad.
On another note, my kids have been taught to write thank you notes, but it's a very rare occasion that we get one ourselves.

I think it's sad that no one uses cursive anymore, but then I'm also sad that hardly anyone writes letters anymore. My grandfather had the most beautiful writing and so does my mother. I learned how to do it in school, but mine is atrocious since we were only taught the basics. Another lost art on a long growing list.

There are a number of books and places on the web that will show you how to improve your handwriting.

On Amazon is this one: Write Now: The Complete Program For Better Handwriting [Paperback] which is well liked by many.

The key is to write slowly, go back to the basics and not shortcut any of the letters. After that even spacing, and keeping the angle consistent makes a big difference. Last tip is when writing on plain paper put a sheet of lined paper underneath so you may use that as a guide. I do that also when addressing envelopes.

rue

There are a number of books and places on the web that will show you how to improve your handwriting.

On Amazon is this one: Write Now: The Complete Program For Better Handwriting [Paperback] which is well liked by many.

The key is to write slowly, go back to the basics and not shortcut any of the letters. After that even spacing, and keeping the angle consistent makes a big difference. Last tip is when writing on plain paper put a sheet of lined paper underneath so you may use that as a guide. I do that also when addressing envelopes.

Thank you John for the recommendation. You're always such a great help :)

If you don't write in cursive then what do you use? I write first drafts of letters by hand before I get to the computer. It allows me to sleep on what i wrote and then correct it/add to it before finalizing what I write via a word processor.
I sing birthday cards, notes and other things every day. I deposit checks and fill out deposit slips by hand. Iguess I am old fashioned but that is what I am used to going to school before computers were even a common place thing.[huh]

I write first drafts of letters by hand before I get to the computer. It allows me to sleep on what i wrote and then correct it/add to it before finalizing what I write via a word processor.

I have done outlines or bullet point notes by hand and then put it into the computer but I have also compose in Word and then used that to do a hand written note.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran