Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This generation of kids...

Ask my dad how well I understood geometry - I used to spend many a night in tears because I could NOT get it. He, as a carpenter and incredibly intelligent individual, couldn't understand why I was having so many problems. I took Algebra I and II and Geometry - I stopped at that. It was pure torture.

Like many other subjects I suspect that the difficulty is often the result of how the subject is taught and perhaps even the quality of the teacher teaching it. A good teacher will make any subject simple and a real pleasure while with a bad one not only do you not learn anything but quite often they even turn people off of learning entirely which, by far, is the greatest damage done by bad teachers.

Last edited:

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Like many other subjects I suspect that the difficulty is often the result of how the subject is taught and perhaps even the quality of the teacher teaching it. A good teacher will make any subject simple and a real pleasure while with a bad one not only do you not learn anything but quite often they even turn people off of learning entirely which, by far, is the greatest damage done by bad teachers.

Do you remember the teacher in the show, The Wonder Years? Spoke in a monotone voice, never cracked a smile? That was my math teacher. Three years of it. I can only remember him smiling a few times and actually laughing once. Thing is, if I understood how to do certain algebra problems, I actually enjoyed it.

I experienced that one year in High School. Half way through the year my math teacher retired and we were transfered to a much younger teacher who couldn't teach worth a damn. My grades showed the difference. What a frustrating time.:eusa_doh::mad:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
What sealed my hatred of math was my seventh-grade teacher, who had the habit of leaning over your shoulder to explain a problem and you could feel his eyes looking down your blouse. One memorable day every girl in the class wore a turtleneck, and suddenly he wasn't quite so "helpful."

What sealed my hatred of math was my seventh-grade teacher, who had the habit of leaning over your shoulder to explain a problem and you could feel his eyes looking down your blouse. One memorable day every girl in the class wore a turtleneck, and suddenly he wasn't quite so "helpful."
That would be mammarable lol

Well, that I know so maybe I know metric calibers then. :p 8mm Mauser. Hmmmm...

And 88mm :p

273395436_04e39a2843.jpg

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
High school math was not a happy time for me. Ninth grade algebra was bad enough, but it just got worse after that - 10th grade geometry was torture because I am a visual and spacial person and here was a subject that made it more confusing than i ever thought possible. I only did a half year of trig in 12th grade and then withdrew. I was that confused. No one could teach me math effectively. Or maybe it was just me.

But I could write a research paper with the best of them.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
High school math was not a happy time for me. Ninth grade algebra was bad enough, but it just got worse after that - 10th grade geometry was torture because I am a visual and spacial person and here was a subject that made it more confusing than i ever thought possible. I only did a half year of trig in 12th grade and then withdrew. I was that confused. No one could teach me math effectively. Or maybe it was just me.

But I could write a research paper with the best of them.

Since I'm a writer, I know exactly what you mean. Geometry made no sense to me whatsoever.

Lynx

New in Town

that it very true, in my case I was influenced so much by 2 teachers that made their respective subjects extremely pleasurable, and I was able to have them for two years in a row that I ended up pursuing my education in those topics.

during this same time, I did get stuck with a bad math teacher who was extremely salty in his interaction with students and who insisted on reading a newspaper while we "worked on problems" that it took me years to correct the damage that was done and would have likely avoided the subject altogether if it wasn't required for the study of the other two subjects.

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
Well, that I know so maybe I know metric calibers then. 8mm Mauser. Hmmmm...

The artillery geek in me makes me point out that the 88mm refers to the bore. Artillery caliber is the ratio of the bore to the length of the barrel. Most 88mm flak guns are 56 caliber (4.93 meter barrel length).

In small arms the caliber is used to refer to the bore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou