Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This is a little startling

itsallgood

One of the Regulars
I have about a dozen felt hats around the house on a variety of hatstands, hooks, backs of chairs, etc.
During this spring, I became more sensitive to moths in the house, something I never really cared about before. But, with the hats around, I decided to give each one a good brushing about once a month "just in case".
I lifted up my Excellent Quality Stetson Noble this morning and Lo and Behold!
IMG_5217.JPG IMG_5218.JPG IMG_5219.JPG

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I have about a dozen felt hats around the house on a variety of hatstands, hooks, backs of chairs, etc.
During this spring, I became more sensitive to moths in the house, something I never really cared about before. But, with the hats around, I decided to give each one a good brushing about once a month "just in case".
I lifted up my Excellent Quality Stetson Noble this morning and Lo and Behold!
View attachment 428795 View attachment 428796 View attachment 428797

Oy Vey! Sounds like a moth intervention needs to be done.

On a serious note, I feel the pain of moths. Hard work and the best prevention plans are not 100% full proof at my house. An open door at the wrong time can intriduce them to the house.

"Pantry moths" are larger in size and "clothing moths" are smaller. Like the names imply their food sources are different. If you have clothing moths wash/dry (hot) all clothing that can be. Seal the balance. ( I store my special sweaters/wool jackets in plastc bags and then in plastic sealed bins for the warm months.) Vaccum thoroughly and hard. Wipe all surfaces and items with vinegar and water (50% each). All "hats" or items introduced to the household need to be quarentined and treated. New hats, for me, get sealed in plasitc until I can give them a Coleman White Gas bath and thoroughly brush them.

I love the scent of cedar, but do not depend on it to deter moths. Cedar is not a long lasting remedy. The woods oils may stop new infestations of small larvae, it loses potency quickly and will not work on new moths.

Eric -

Last edited:

itsallgood

One of the Regulars
I also have my wool sweaters in sealed plastic, but my hats, I just enjoy having them around in the house. There's a few in the hallway coat closet, a couple at the front door, a yard hat at the back door, and so forth. They get worn, they get sweated in, rained on, hiked in, lots of yard work. What alerted me to the situation, back in late March / early April when Spring was just beginning, I lay down late one night in a dark room, turned on the Kindle for a few minutes, and fluttering out of the darkness a tiny moth landed on the bright screen! What a wake up call! I had not seen a moth since last year! Hence the brushing and the traps. I read here on the lounge that they seek out the protein in dried sweat to lay eggs (I guess). I figured if I brush regularly, I should be good. Hoping I don't find an unwanted surprise someday!

Oh, yeah, I think cedar dries out relatively quickly. I have a lot of cedar in the closets, but outside a sealed cedar chest, I question the effectiveness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk