Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This or That: Eastman or Rainbow Country

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Tricky, as both are lovely. If you're looking for something a bit more stripped down, I think I would be tempted towards the Rainbow - the lack of bi-swing with take some of the weight out of the back - and as Edward says, it's a little different from the usual. That said, I prefer the position of the cinch straps in terms of the overall body shape. I don't think you'd regret either, though, tbh.

FAFOO68

Familiar Face
Hello,
I had the chance to try on the Californian at the T-BIRD shop here in Paris.
The hide is the same Warhorse hide used on some A2.
Very nice jacket, well made and tailored.
I'am a size 40 in ELC A2 design and the size 40 i tried was perfect.
My personnel choice would go to the Americn Walnut which is close to a Seal Brown.
Cheers,
F68

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hello,
I had the chance to try on the Californian at the T-BIRD shop here in Paris.
The hide is the same Warhorse hide used on some A2.
Very nice jacket, well made and tailored.
I'am a size 40 in ELC A2 design and the size 40 i tried was perfect.
My personnel choice would go to the Americn Walnut which is close to a Seal Brown.
Cheers,
F68

Thanks for the input!!! This has been a difficult decision because I like different aspects of both jackets. The deciding factor was the detail on the back of the jacket. I generally prefer simple designs. As much as I like the RC, I am on the fence regarding the Hercules stitching against the brown hide -- the stitching blends in against a black hide, but is more prominent against a brown hide (particularly given the contrasting color of the stitching). Therefore, favoring simple designs, I have elected to go with the Eastman. I am currently working out the details with Rob.

GregO

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the input!!! This has been a difficult decision because I like different aspects of both jackets. The deciding factor was the detail on the back of the jacket. I generally prefer simple designs. As much as I like the RC, I am on the fence regarding the Hercules stitching against the brown hide -- the stitching blends in against a black hide, but is more prominent against a brown hide (particularly given the contrasting color of the stitching). Therefore, favoring simple designs, I have elected to go with the Eastman. I am currently working out the details with Rob.

Wise choice. That Eastman design is great -- especially the collar construction. Really sets it apart from the pack.

FAFOO68

Familiar Face
Good choice GregO, i'am a big fan of Eastman jackets and this Californian is very appealling !
So please post pics (even though i know the jacket...)
Cheers,
F68

D

Deleted member 16736

Where is the link for the Eastman jacket? I can't find it on their website anywhere. Thanks.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
The Eastman looks better to my eye. How much is that jacket? I didn't know Eastman makes half-belts.

Last edited:

Cole

One of the Regulars
Ah damn, it's in the non public members section. I'll ask him if it's OK for him if I post the pictures here.

Cole

One of the Regulars
OK, here we go. Thanks to El Hüsto. ;) The color is Havana.

elmc1.jpg

elmc2.jpg

elmc3.jpg

elmc4.jpg

elmc5.jpg

GregO

One of the Regulars
Now that's a damn nice jacket. Personally I would go for ELMC's darker option -- the walnut -- but the design and cut on that thing is fantastic. The only thing I see from the above pics is that the sleeves could use an extra inch on the guy wearing it.

Last edited:

FAFOO68

Familiar Face
Hello, i agree the size 40 i tried was perfect in length (back and sleeve) but there was a guy who tried the same jacket (with longer arms) and it was on the short side to him.
You could contact Rob at ELC (or Charles at HPA ?), both will give you the measurements.
Cheers,
F68

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Are they all stock sizes..?? Seems at that price they would surely be made to measurements as other jacket companies offer for much less cost.
HD

ELC does not offer made to measurements.

All you can do is add length, both in the body and sleeves, but the jacket is non returnable if you do so.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Where is the link for the Eastman jacket? I can't find it on their website anywhere. Thanks.

The Eastman looks better to my eye. How much is that jacket? I didn't know Eastman makes half-belts.

http://www.elmc.co/jackets/californian-american-walnut

Now that's a damn nice jacket. Personally I would go for ELMC's darker option -- the walnut -- but the design and cut on that thing is fantastic. The only thing I see from the above pics is that the sleeves could use an extra inch on the guy wearing it.

I went with the America Walnut.

ELC does not offer made to measurements.

All you can do is add length, both in the body and sleeves, but the jacket is non returnable if you do so.

I went with a long -- as you stated, longer both in the body and sleeves.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
The Rainbow looks like a Highwayman and a half-belt got together and the DNA didn't mix well. I agree with others that the side belts should basically line of with the half-belt. If the half-belt was lower and the straps were higher to match up, it would flow better.

B

From the 1937 Sears Catalog

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo