Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This or That: Eastman or Rainbow Country

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am trying to decide between the following two jackets:

Eastman (ELMC) Californian
Color: American Walnut
Leather: Italian, veg-tanned, aniline Horsehide

Rainbow Country 30s Single Rider
Color: Russet
Leather: Shinki, veg-tanned, aniline Horsehide

Both jackets are similarly priced. Which jacket do you prefer, and why? Thanks in advance.

Eastman Photos:

EastmanCalifornian_zps5d73a192.jpg

CalifornianWal2-1920x1920max_zps8d6836a6.jpg

CalifornianWal6-1920x1920max_zps068878ec.jpg

CalifornianWal5-1920x1920max_zps07e98d1c.jpg

CalifornianWal7-1920x1920max_zps6b846b7f.jpg

CalifornianWal4-1920x1920max_zps38552610.jpg

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Both jackets are lovely. That rainbow country is very very sharp. I've never seen one before, and that would be my choice...the detail on it great, and the hide has a lovely depth of colour.you can't go wrong with either one.

thor

Call Me a Cab
I like the Eastman; I like that the side tabs align with the half-belt (looks neater IMHO), the bi-swing back (comfortable and provides better freedom of movement) and simpler, more utilitarian back panel seam arrangement looks good, and the leather has a lot of natural grain and character, even when brand new (will just get better with age). Just my 2cents.

That's a tough one. I like aspects of both jackets..however I too prefer the side straps even or along side the halfbelt rather than located at the bottom of jacket. I think that feature balances out the jacket much better. But spending that kind of money I'd have to study both jackets closely. The Rainbow Country seems to have more intricate construction and stitching going on.
HD

pipvh

Practically Family
I like the Eastman, because I'm from Devon...:eek: But I do think it looks more interesting. Despite the Rainbow Country having a more complicated pattern I think the Eastman has a shade more 'it.'

Interbak

One of the Regulars
Eastman all the way. The Rainbow looks like a Highwayman and a half-belt got together and the DNA didn't mix well. I agree with others that the side belts should basically line of with the half-belt. If the half-belt was lower and the straps were higher to match up, it would flow better.

B

Blackadder

Rainbow Country is a very nice jacket. I have had the chance to try one on awhile ago.
altAtsQ0W60LKc8dINK3P61PD0MDMAs826Haa776a3mH-TG2.jpg

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
The only correct answer is, of course..... one of each, please. ;) Assuming that's not an option, I'd be tempted by the Rainbow myself. Just a bit different than what else is around these days, and not quie as easy to get holdof over here as the ELMC. Bit of variation, you know?

bn1966

Eastman for me :) But then living nearby I can get to go & try before I buy. Also I would have sizing problems too I expect with Rainbow being in Japan. Would have a large Buzz collection if any of them fitted me (46" chest).

Cole

One of the Regulars
I would like the Eastman, made out of the leather that Rainbow Country uses and without the center seam on the back (never liked those). :)

ProteinNerd

If you are a slim guy, the cinches at the bottom like the Rainbow Country don't do you any real favours except make the jacket bulge a little around the stomach area. Plus
I really don't like the yoke on the Rainbow Country at all, especially the curve to the points, something looks wrong there plus the whole yoke is too deep imo.

As vocal as I was in a previous thread on not liking the two panel back of the ELMC, its still a great looking jacket. Without knowing the differences in the quality of the leather, the Eastman is a MUCH better looking jacket.

Superfluous

I would like the Eastman, made out of the leather that Rainbow Country uses and without the center seam on the back (never liked those). :)

If only I could merge the two jackets! I like different elements from both. I agree that Shinki HH would be ideal. That said, Eastman appears to use a very good Italian HH. I am not sure what the differences are. Anyone? JC just revealed an intention to add an Italian HH to his arsenal.

The middle seam is part of the Sears Hercules design that is the inspiration for the Rainbow Country jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters