Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This or That

Y Club gang !

LP records or Ipod ? :eek:

A comic in a recent issue of The New Yorker shows two men standing by a hi-fi setup deserving of a true audiophile. Caption reads: "What I like most about vinyl is the inconvenience and the expense."

Me, I got an old console stereo (mostly cuz I like the cabinet) through and on and in which I run later components, including a turntable.

Used to use 78s as Frisbees, as did millions of others, I'm sure. When I think of the stuff you had a hard time giving away when I was a kid, and what that stuff might fetch today, it just further reminds me that I really ain't a kid no more.

The original turntable in the console spins at 33, 45 and 78 revs per minute. The new one never heard of a 78. (Yes, I still have the original.)

Last edited:

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Alice all the way, although I also want to say a word for Jack Snork. Segar was a genius.

If you ever make your way to the Midwest, visit Segar's hometown: Chester, Illinois. Statues of the characters all around town, and even a dedicated Popeye museum/ gift shop. I'm not much for splurging on trinkets, but I did pick up a nice Eugene the Jeep figure.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
O
Wimpy.

Always craved for hamburgers whenever the strip showed him eating.

2n1i52a.png
or
14mug0n.jpg

Nancy, but preferred the cartoon as a whole when the principal character was Fritzie Ritz.

Venetian blinds or roller shades?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
With the exception of reissues, radio transcriptions, and special use pressings, was their ever anything truly worthwhile issued in vinyl? ;)

Well, I do have an original vinyl 78rpm pressing of The Singing Dogs doing "Jingle Bells." In the original picture sleeve, no less.

The vinyl I really hate is RCA Victor DJ pressings from the early fifties. Not only does the music stink, the records themselves have razor-sharp edges that will slice you wide open if you're not careful. The best way to approach such records is to step as far away from them as possible.

Blinds. We always used to get those cheap roller shades from W. T. Grant's that ripped apart after a couple of months in the sun. Nertz.

Four-panel doors or two-panel doors?

Either one (depends on the surrounding architecture), but they must be solid wood, none of this hollow core nonsense. A door should feel solid and heavy.

But since I didn't really answer, back to Lizzie's

Four-panel doors or two-panel doors?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner