Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This or That

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Redhots.

Doug Heffernan or Carrie Heffernan? :D

Simone "Carrie" Spooner-Heffernan ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------Blue Angels FA18 Hornet or F8F1 Bearcat? [video=youtube;7bwM-yAFBjU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bwM-yAFBjU[/video]

GHT

I'll Lock Up
With the exception of reissues, radio transcriptions, and special use pressings, was their ever anything truly worthwhile issued in vinyl? ;)
Depends on your definition of worthwhile. Musically or financially? Would you define as being worthwhile the five singles that Elvis released on The Sun Record label? Especially if they are in mint condition and still in their original dust sleeves? I do hope so, as I have those records in my collection. I acquired them at a time when labels like Sun were unavailable outside of The US.
Musically I would say that records by the likes of Louis Jordan, Louis Prima, Jack Dupree, Bull Moose Jackson, Big Joe Turner, Calvin Boze, Lavay Smith, Jesse Powell and that whole genre of 1940's early 50's 'devil music,' is well worthwhile. But others will disagree. I love shellac too, problem with it is, it costs a fortune to buy a jukebox to play them on, then when you finally realise that, you find that the machine can only play one side.

Rock-ola or Wurlitzer

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Rock-ola or Wurlitzer

Interesting fact -- The name "Rock-ola" has nothing to do with rock music. The company was founded by a man named David Rockola. Me, I play my shellac on a Philco "play it thru your radio" phonograph attachment.

42_rp_2_wireless_record_player_1883680.jpg

Room-filling sound when used with a properly-maintained console radio, and the arm is quite easy on the records.

Interesting fact -- The name "Rock-ola" has nothing to do with rock music. The company was founded by a man named David Rockola...

Names that align to the business by coincidence happens more than odds would seem to say. I went to school with a kid whose father sold cars, last name Carr. I knew a florist whose last name was Daisy. And there have been others, but I'd have to think a bit more to remember.

And I feel a bit cheated on my "original Corvette or Thunderbird" post - "neither" seemed harsh (and I thought mine had a clear winner anyway).

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Depends on your definition of worthwhile. Musically or financially? Would you define as being worthwhile the five singles that Elvis released on The Sun Record label? Especially if they are in mint condition and still in their original dust sleeves? I do hope so, as I have those records in my collection. I acquired them at a time when labels like Sun were unavailable outside of The US.
Musically I would say that records by the likes of Louis Jordan, Louis Prima, Jack Dupree, Bull Moose Jackson, Big Joe Turner, Calvin Boze, Lavay Smith, Jesse Powell and that whole genre of 1940's early 50's 'devil music,' is well worthwhile. But others will disagree. I love shellac too, problem with it is, it costs a fortune to buy a jukebox to play them on, then when you finally realise that, you find that the machine can only play one side.

Rock-ola or Wurlitzer
As far as I am concerned there was no worthwhile music produced after the War. Of course the great majority will disagree., even here in the Lounge. ;)

Now as far as juke boxes are concerned, gosh, the 78 boxes are generally cheaper here than their 45 equivalents. The Wurlitzer Simplex mechanism is much easier to service than the Rockola of the 1930's, so I'd take Wurlitzer. No love for National (AMI) or Seeburg? They made some pretty good stuff back then. The AMI mechanism is reliable, though a bit slow, and was the first to offer two side play. As far as expense, the 1946 and 1947 Seeburg "Trash Can" machines are reliable, attractive, and reasonably cheap. Last May I picked up a nice restored (new plastics) example for less than $700, a 1936 Rockola Standard for $325, and a restored and working Capehart Amperion for $550, so 78 "Jukes" are not that pricey. Around here, 1960's and later "45" juke boxes are practically without value. I have turned down a free (with records) WORKING 1983 AMI 100 play machine, as I had neither the space nor the market.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Names that align to the business by coincidence happens more than odds would seem to say. I went to school with a kid whose father sold cars, last name Carr. I knew a florist whose last name was Daisy. And there have been others, but I'd have to think a bit more to remember.

The best was a cigar-store owner named Butz. And then there's the dentist I've been seeing since 1973 -- Doctor Slaughter. And his longtime assistant, Mrs. Blood.

As for Thunderbirds and Corvettes, I must express no preference. Sports cars make me itch.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Well at least we can agree on that:
My Wurlitzer, 1015 better known as:
One More Time.
Ooops, the file is too big, see here instead.
So, as you are scathing of all music on 45's post WW2, You must be about the best unbiased judge of:
Lennon or McCartney.

I fear that I must recuse myself, though they both had a way with a melody, and I rather appreciate McCartney's apparent sense of humor.

I haven't driven an automatic transmission since 1985. Standard forever.

Three on the tree or four on the floor?

I am of a Planetary disposition, myself.

Three on the tree .

black or whitewalls ?

All white, or rather, grayish-white, or perhaps even red...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner