Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This or That

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Grant.

Lee was the better general, and quite probably was the better man, but he was a Secesh.

Reconstruction was utterly botched, and ended at least generation to soon.

For wallpaper:

Thomas Strahan or Dorothy Waterhouse?

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
You got "Al"brecht-"Di"scount, there?? o_O With german stuff, maybe?

EDIT:
OK, I see. Nearly 1.300 Aldi-stores in th US. :D
In the United States Aldi features NO well k own US brands, although quality is always high, except perhaps on some fresh meat products. They do frequently feature German and Italian prepared foods, mixes,canned goods, cheeses, and sausage, all of which are of exceptional quality and are great values.

...Drinking cold milk without adding
other things?

(your choice of milk)

Or...
Drinking cold milk but only after
adding, honey, chocolate powder,
rum, or something else?

In 40+ years of drinking milk daily, I have had probably less than ten glasses without a powder or something added in. Today, my two go-tos are U-Bet chocolate and Ovaltine original. I don't really like the taste of milk straight, but love it with the add ins. I will have milk as a snack as I find a glass quite filling.

And since I missed my window to jump in on the few not-arcane "this or thats," back to Vitanola's

For wallpaper:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
In 40+ years of drinking milk daily, I have had probably less than ten glasses without a powder or something added in. Today, my two go-tos are U-Bet chocolate and Ovaltine original.

And since I missed my window to jump in on the few not-arcane "this or thats," back to Vitanola's

For wallpaper:

Second.

Fresh made or store bought orange juice?

btw:
The BFM would have you believe that
Ovaltine Original is still produced.
That is not true.
The Ovaltine that I enjoyed as a kid had a distinct flavor and was not powder.
It was more like tiny crunchy crystals.

You can find in grocery stores today
Ovaltine that has the labels, "original",
or "classic flavor".
But it's not. Today's flavor has a medicine
taste to it in powder form.

I would eat a spoonful while I was adding
it to the cold milk.

Also, I cannot for the life of me swallow warm milk.
And I grew up in a time when breast feeding was more common.
I don't see mothers today doing that.

Another thing, I can't enjoy eggs no matter how they are prepared without
bread either toast or otherwise.

To eat the eggs without bread is like watching Mr. Laurel without Mr.Hardy! :(

Last edited:
Second.

btw:
That is not true.

or "classic flavor".

it to the cold milk.

Also, I cannot for the life of me swallow warm milk.
And I grew up in a time when breast feeding was more common.
I don't see mothers today doing that.

Another thing, I can't enjoy eggs no matter how they are prepared without
bread either toast or otherwise.

To eat the eggs without bread is like watching Mr. Laurel without Mr.Hardy! :(

You are right - hadn't thought about it, but Ovaltine was more crystals than powder when I was a kid - wonder when that changed and why (I'd bet to save money for the company)? I still like its malt taste though and can't say if it tasted differently when I was a kid. I agree - eggs need something with them to be really satisfying.

Fresh made OJ - meaningfully better. Although, I've kinda lost my taste for OJ in the last few years (except in a mimosa :)).

Orange juice or grapefruit juice?

greatestescaper

One of the Regulars
Orange juice, I prefer it fresh.

Thank you for the info about looking for a more authentic malt. I'm always frustrated to walk into a place with a sign that reads "malts/shakes" only to find they do not know what a malt is, nevermind have the supplies to fix one.

A day at the beach or a day in the woods?

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Orange juice, I prefer it fresh.

Thank you for the info about looking for a more authentic malt. I'm always frustrated to walk into a place with a sign that reads "malts/shakes" only to find they do not know what a malt is, nevermind have the supplies to fix one.

A day at the beach or a day in the woods?

Tough one... I love both!

I'll take a day in the woods.
I love to take my oil painting kit
and paint in the outdoors!

Oil or watercolor paintings?

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Second.

btw:
That is not true.

or "classic flavor".

it to the cold milk.

That crystaly chocolate product youse guys are talking about was being sold into the 1990s under the brand name "P.D.Q.," which was an Ovaltine knockoff/sub-brand invented to compete with Nestle's Quik. It had a substantially higher sugar content than regular Ovaltine, which was primarily malt powder (or malt and cocoa powder for the chocolate-flavor variety.)

The real original Ovaltine hasn't been sold in the United States since the 1930s -- it contained an extract of powdered egg along with the malt and cocoa, hence the "Ova-" in the name. The original egg-bearing formula is still sold, however, in some countries overseas. Ovaltine today in the US is a "nostalgia brand" that's been flipped from company to company several times over recent decades -- I doubt it has any connection at all to the early 20th century original.

I love Ovaltine, too. I buy it from an Indian supplier. It is dark and crystalline, like the old stuff and tastes just as I remember it.

Is there an on-line option? If so, would you be kind enough to send me the link? Now that 2Jakes and you have piqued my interest, I want to find the more original (not Lizzie's all-the-way-back original, but at least the one from my childhood original) version.

That crystaly chocolate product youse guys are talking about was being sold into the 1990s under the brand name "P.D.Q.," which was an Ovaltine knockoff/sub-brand invented to compete with Nestle's Quik. It had a substantially higher sugar content than regular Ovaltine, which was primarily malt powder (or malt and cocoa powder for the chocolate-flavor variety.)

The real original Ovaltine hasn't been sold in the United States since the 1930s -- it contained an extract of powdered egg along with the malt and cocoa, hence the "Ova-" in the name. The original egg-bearing formula is still sold, however, in some countries overseas. Ovaltine today in the US is a "nostalgia brand" that's been flipped from company to company several times over recent decades -- I doubt it has any connection at all to the early 20th century original.

The above information has been brought to you by Lizziepedia - the premiere* source of information for the Golden Era

* Is "premiere" too elitist for you Lizzie? If so, I'll change it to "leading," but I like "premiere" in my evolving "branding" of your impressiveness. Hey, I'm becoming a Lizzie-focused "boy from marketing" which means you'll exile me (something I always expect you to do to me anyway).

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Wunderbar! :D

a2dogh.jpg

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
"Old stuff Ovaltine " as you remember from how far back?
40s, 50s, 60s, 70s etc-etc ?

It'd be interesting to compare "Indian"
Ovaltine to US Ovaltine ingredients.

I'm not familiar with the policies at all.
But how is the Indian supplier able to
produce the product as you mentioned
which differs with the ingredients made
elsewhere and yet be able to have
the Ovaltine label?
I'm aware that the Coca-Cola that
is produced in Mexico differs with
the water they use. But I would think
the Coke formula is basically the same,
that is if you want to use their label.
It would be interesting your
thoughts since I really don't know
for sure.
Because here in America the brand is owned by Nestle, and so the bottles are essentially filled with Nestle's Quik with a bit of malt and maltodextrine added.

In most of Europe, it is made by Wander AG. In India the manufacture still uses the Wegand evaporators, which results in the traditional granular texture which we all love.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL