Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This or That

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I grew up in a large household.
Was not allowed to touch the fragile discs.
2n9xffc.gif

This was very popular with my grandmother and me when I was three.

I love music, no matter what era or time period.
If I liked the beat I would dance to it in the living
room with my grandma watching....
If I’m in the mood ...I still do! :D

Glenn Miller or Tommy Dorsey?

Dorsey. Miller had a great band, but as a soloist he was a bit stiff and unimaginative.

Throbbing Gristle or Pere Ubu?

Just getting back to this thread. Apparently there was a lively discussion but the game plays on. Looks like I'll need to buy some more sunblock.

I believe vitanola just fired a deep shot of

to Lizzie, and Lizzie's return is?

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Just getting back to this thread. Apparently there was a lively discussion but the game plays on. Looks like I'll need to buy some more sunblock.

I believe vitanola just fired a deep shot of

to Lizzie, and Lizzie's return is?

While you are waiting for Lizzie to return, I‘ll trade
you my sunblock (hardly used) for a slice of your
great N.Y. pizza! ;)

Last edited:
great N.Y. pizza! ;)

Nothing would make me happier than to treat you to a slice of NYC pizza (at the place where my avatar came from), no sunblock in exchange needed.

I've never been to a professional tennis match, but I've been told by friends who've gone to the US Open that nothing as pedestrian as pizza is available - it's fancy schmancy stuff like sushi, so we might have to hit the city proper to get a good slice.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Nothing would make me happier than to treat you to a slice of NYC pizza (at the place where my avatar came from), no sunblock in exchange needed.

I've never been to a professional tennis match, but I've been told by friends who've gone to the US Open that nothing as pedestrian as pizza is available - it's fancy schmancy stuff like sushi, so we might have to hit the city proper to get a good slice.

Thank you.
And relating to tennis...
I got to hit with Steffie Graf when she was ranked #1 in the world in women’s tennis.
Let’s just say that she was being “nice” as far as letting me keep up with her on the court.
A shy quiet sweet person off court, on the court during a match, she was a tigress with her opponents.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Krupa was a master, but also was a bit of a showboater. Davy Tough was equal in technical skill, and laid down a perfect beat, but kept out of the way of the band. Listen to any of the discs by the First Herd. Tough is there, all the way, supporting the ensemble and the soloists with ever changing rhythmic effects.
Krupa's stuff was truly great, but look where it led...

Cesere Sodero or Dominic Savino?

Sodero, for his interesting radio work.

As for gristle, I worked in a meat processing place for a while, and I prefer mine not to throb.

Sylvan Levin or Morton Gould?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Dorsey. Miller had a great band, but as a soloist he was a bit stiff and unimaginative.

I happened to read an article in some dentist's office magazine or other about Genesis P-Orridge just recently, but in spite of that, having worked in a meat processing facility for a while, I prefer my gristle not to throb.

Miller, I think, did his best work putting together Ray Noble's American band in 1935, which was a really fine outfit -- smooth and swingy without ever taking itself too seriously. I find Miller's own band as commercial as Kay Kyser's, but without the lighthearted sense of not taking it too seriously that makes Kyser's work so enjoyable. Miller is a fine introduction to the music of the swing era, but there are many other bands I find more impressive.

Thank you.
And relating to tennis...
I got to hit with Steffie Graf when she was ranked #1 in the world in women’s tennis.
Let’s just say that she was being “nice” as far as letting me keep up with her on the court.
A shy quiet sweet person off court, on the court during a match, she was a tigress with her opponents.

The level of play of any professional athlete, especially the top tier, is almost frightening. No one special, but I saw a professional heavyweight fighter work out once and his punches were like cannons, even his jabs were frightening. And again, nothing really special, but I've stood next to a pro quarterback throwing a bunch of passes and the speed, skill and accuracy he had was insane. The ball literally zipped through the air almost like a bullet slowed down modestly (only modestly).

But I see play on the court has resumed.

Back to Lizzie's return volley of:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
The level of play of any professional athlete, especially the top tier, is almost frightening. No one special, but I saw a professional heavyweight fighter work out once and his punches were like cannons, even his jabs were frightening. And again, nothing really special, but I've stood next to a pro quarterback throwing a bunch of passes and the speed, skill and accuracy he had was insane. The ball literally zips through the air almost like a bullet slowed down modestly .

But I see play on the court has resumed.

Back to Lizzie's return volley of:

You are really funny.
Thanks, I’m enjoying your remarks from the “side-line”.:)

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I happened to read an article in some dentist's office magazine or other about Genesis P-Orridge just recently, but in spite of that, having worked in a meat processing facility for a while, I prefer my gristle not to throb.

Miller, I think, did his best work putting together Ray Noble's American band in 1935, which was a really fine outfit -- smooth and swingy without ever taking itself too seriously. I find Miller's own band as commercial as Kay Kyser's, but without the lighthearted sense of not taking it too seriously that makes Kyser's work so enjoyable. Miller is a fine introduction to the music of the swing era, but there are many other bands I find more impressive.

Well, I had not heard of this p-Orridge. I'm glad to have read a bit about hir, but don't think that I'll investigate any further. I was not twitting you about these post-punk bands from the days of my misspent youth, Miss Maine, though I should not have been at all surprised to find that you also had an encyclopedic knowledge of THAT subject.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
great N.Y. pizza! ;)

Actually, that question was aimed at you, Mr. Jake's
I don't think this a competition, after all. Besides which, Miss Maine is sui generis, utterly beyond competiton.

Oddly enough, in my youth (and believe me, my youth was indeed odd!) I ran with a crowd which included both members of Pere Ubu and of Devo. I did not care much for the music, but the conversation... Ah! The conversation!

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Don't know them, but second sounds good.

:D

I gave you a like because you were honest about it in not knowing but nevertheless
gave a response to the best of your ability. Nice!

Unlike me, where I go on the search engine and pretend I know what the heck they
(I do believe we know who they are) are talking about.

But it’s nice when I do know without looking it up.
But it’s rare.
I believe my buddy Fading Fast would agree. :D

I’ll go with Lutefisk....because it sounds like the name of
a tire brand found in vintage gas stations.

Here’s my This or That!

Ice tea?
or
Hot tea?

:) Too tough?

⇧ As I know you do, I'll freely admit if I don't know or if I've had to Google something. I won't chose if I don't have any "a priori" information, but will enhance my knowledge (and note it) if I use Google to confirm or expand what I thought.

Hey, I'm the one, like you, who admits I can't even play on the court with Vitanola and Lizzie.

But now that amateur hour has returned.

Ice tea (try as I have many times, hot tea is just meh to me - I can kinda enjoy it, but never get excited about it, but ice tea on the right day is outstanding).

Ice tea or Ice coffee?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats