Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

This or That

Woolworth

Singer Building or Park Row Building?

Tough one, I'm going to go with Park Row for the ruff-and-tumble newspaper business of that era.

(I guessed if you answered it would be the Woolworth Building - it's in your sweet spot.)

Two of my personal favorites:

American Radiator Building
1-75.jpg

or Fred F French Building?
5899774071_bc2f1576ae_b.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I used to love to listen to Arlene Francis's show on WOR. One of the best interview-show hosts I ever heard. But then I also enjoyed Joe Franklin, also on WOR, and Larry Glick on WBZ. So six of one, half a dozen of the other, unless I personally am up for the job. Then I prefer that the host be me.

Radio interview show with a guest in the studio, or telephone call-ins?

Guest in studio - while the listener doesn't see it, the ability of the interviewer and interviewee to have eye contact and see each others reaction improves the quality of the show.

Radio interview / show or Podcast?

How about just listening in on a radio?

I do that all the time. What's odd is that it "feels" different to me to listen on a radio than all the internet versions that are out there.

I've listened on my computer to many stations and podcasts - they are fine, but they don't have the "soul" or something that a good old analog radio - taking in radio waves from the air - produces. Even coming through my decent Sonos speakers, Pandora, Amazon streaming, etc. feel "off" or "hollow" to me.

My guess, it's the sound quality which I think is richer / deeper / fuller plus my bias toward liking analog equipment and the echo of all those years I used to listen to radio because it was a source of information and entertainment pre internet.

And out of respect to Trenchfreind and since I didn't really understand his "This or That," I'll turn the thread back over to his:

First.

Listening radio on classic DVB-satellite from cable or on internet-live streaming/internet-radio device?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
There's a reason for that sound. The compression algorithms used to stream internet audio are very very lossy, and can't replicate the sound of an analog transmission. The more people stream their audio entertainment, the more they're going to accept that tubby, constricted sound as "normal." And then people who deal in antique radios will be able to sell them as "Hi Fi."

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
There's a reason for that sound. The compression algorithms used to stream internet audio are very very lossy, and can't replicate the sound of an analog transmission. The more people stream their audio entertainment, the more they're going to accept that tubby, constricted sound as "normal." And then people who deal in antique radios will be able to sell them as "Hi Fi."

Oh, yes!

Perhaps one day battery sets will come into their own. They sound like nothing else, though of course a slightly later set built by a firm with better engineers than Wireless Specialty Apparatus Co. Might have a different version of "that warm tube sound". ;)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo