Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thompson M1A1

AeroDillo

Familiar Face
Cool. I was under the impression there was a six month delay. Perhaps that was for another animal.

Anyway, I was considering sending mine to Paul Krogh and seeing what he could do. The springs need to be changed, as does the bolt handle (mine has the new one, which looks nothing like the original).

It appears I also need to alter a few of my new magazines, too.

Hmm...

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Ghostsoldier,
I recognize that Thompson from the WW2 reenactor's forum, nice one you got there.

Glad to see you over here, enjoy the stay. :fedora:

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
Thunder (and all)...thanks for the welcome! I had a sneaking suspicion that some of you guys were from the Proboard forum, and Nick's site, too! :)

Aero,
As the guys can tell you, sending your piece to PK for "the treatment" would be like sending it to Thompson Heaven....it will be a completely different beast once he's done!
As for the mags, don't modify the ones you have! Like DB said, change the mag catch out, or modify it with a Dremel (like I did) to accept the FA mags...that way, you won't be dependent on those "butchered" semi mags when you're out and about....;) I've got a tutorial for that also (like Grey Crows), except with pictures, if you need it....
Rob

dr greg

One Too Many
foxhole ergonomics

Much as I would love to own one of these things for aesthetic reasons, it's impossible in this country without an incredible amount of bureaucracy, anyway, what I'd like to know is, does the drum mag refill? Previous posts discussed the efficency of the simpler magazines for changeover under combat conditions, so I was curious as to whether the drums were single-use issue. They'd take a while to load up again I would assume.

The drums are a certified bear, but they're definitely multi-use. And on taking a while at it, they do indeed. Ten seconds of fun, ten to thirty minutes of work to make ready again.

Front section lifts off once it's unwound (DO NOT OPEN WITH THE SPRING WOUND!), then you'll see a group of openings. What you do is drop five rounds into each section, then wind it a little, and repeat until you hit 10, 39, 50 or 100, depending on individual drum capacity--most West Hurleys have the "XL" drum, all '94-'04 models were the "X" drum, "L" and "C" models are back in production but frequently need a trip to a guy named Merle Bitikofer (the "Drum Doctor") for tuning and reliability work.

If you register over at TommyGunner.com, which is free, they have some free downloads of L- and C-drum loading instructions.

Greg, once I've got mine (which will be a while, several years at least), gimme a shout if you're ever headed into my AO and I'll see about arranging a "fam-fire" opportunity if you have the interest.

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
dr greg said:
I'd take you up on that D'back, except we just put a swimming pool in and that takes care of any travelling budget we might have had for quite some time to come!
If I win the lottery I'll let ya know:)
Doc...you coulda bought a full-auto WH or Savage for what you paid for that pool...maybe...;)
Rob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy