Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Those flared 60's coats

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Sunny said:
P1010029-1.jpg
P1010033-1-1.jpg

(props to anyone who recognizes what exactly it is)

The Fellowship cloak! Argh, how I wanted one of those. I even found a good fabric for it, too, but had no place to wear such a thing so it never got purchased.

This thread is reminding me that I *still* have a blue velveteen cloak that I never finished sewing up...and a capelet that hasn't been hemmed. Oops.

texasgirl

One Too Many
Jacket/Cape

This is the first thing that came to my mind. Top left corner. It's not a great scan, but you get the idea.

From the 1935 Montgomery Wards catalog.

wards1935women_Page_06.jpg

Sunny

One Too Many
Ooh, that looks quite wearable. Stylish and functional - my favorite concept!

ShoreRoadLady said:
The Fellowship cloak! Argh, how I wanted one of those. I even found a good fabric for it, too, but had no place to wear such a thing so it never got purchased.
Ding ding ding! It's about the only LotR costuming thing I ever did get done; and I justified it because its design fits reasonably in the 1860s. The fabric was a steal (although all gray and not green) and I still have about 100" left over. It's got black and blue and cream woven in, giving a tweed look, but it's very drapey and light and strangely has a shimmer without being either fuzzy or hard. Instead of a leaf brooch, I searched for months on ebay and got a perfect rugged pewter-colored metal star pin, somewhat like a Maltese cross, with some worn black enamel - going for a more Arnorian than elvish look.

jasmynskyes

Familiar Face
I really like the blue coat and the pink one just has me drooling. Not sure that they would work on my body, but finding a cold enough day to wear one here won't be a problem especially in the next month or so.

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
Matt Deckard said:
I've always liked hanging out at the local mod clubs... I dress 30s 40s most of the time, though 60's sometimes though I like my own look. I do however have to say i admire the look of women in flared coats from the 60's. It's very flattering to my eye. A stark contrast to the fitted forms women wore in the 30s and 40s, it just looks like a more free spirited look.

Anywho, check out the video below, the singer is Inara George and I love her style... I'd actually consider her one of today's real female style icons with how she carries the look in and out of videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDlEXQaMBpk

viitta.jpg

ebay7_3.jpg

wesc_7402887gry1.jpg

Ive been watching a lot of I dream of Jeannie on DVD and see a lot of these! I want one!!

Goldfish

A-List Customer
Here comes the ultimative 60s coats fan lol!

Still waiting for THE ONE to turn up on ebay...!!

On the top of my wishlist is an early 60s wool coat with mink/fur collar...

1d51_12.JPG
LotImg3349.jpg
mvc-009s_1224360061.jpg

My inspiration :D :

marilyn48tj7.jpg

Not sure if I can pull the ladylike collar off though, maybe I should go for something different...

bpea99.jpg
2L.JPG
3688_1.JPG

Capes are cute, too, although you always look a bit like little red riding hood vs. batgirl ...

just_me

Practically Family
I have a tapestry coat that I bought in the 60s. It's the only thing I've kept from that period. (I recently sold a pair of Frye boots I had since the early 70s). Could never get myself to get rid of it. I used it in a production of The Heidi Chronicles several years back.

tapestry_coat.jpg

just_me

Practically Family
Paisley said:
I think that a cape is the ideal thing for a lady with an entourage who will open her car door, drive her car, carry her bags, carry her babies, and do everything but feed her like a baby bird.
SNORK!!! lol I had one of those. I remember wearing it over my mini-skirt, while schlepping my enormous art portfolio on the subway to class in the city. Try wearing a cape coat, balancing a portfolio, holding onto the subway pole, keeping your balance, and keeping the pervs from rubbing up against you. lol

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Goldfish said:
Here comes the ultimative 60s coats fan lol!

Still waiting for THE ONE to turn up on ebay...!!

My inspiration :D :

marilyn48tj7.jpg

I believe that's called a portrait collar. There's on on ebay right this very minute! Under $20 too I seem to recall.

Ada Veen

Practically Family
60s looks really seem to suit me, the clothes, hair and makeup are really flattering... though I'm not a big fan of portrait collars. It makes me think my neck would get cold.

Lillemor

One Too Many
I like the conservative/mature styles of part of the 60s. I think some of my shorter coats are more 60s retro than 50s retro. I've always preferred that rounded collar.

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
I appreciate the look of the 60's - particularly a unique blend of uber mod and more elegant design, but my figure can't do it anymore. That was the first vintage clothing I was interested in, when I was 15/16. I had slim legs and no problem pulling it off! My somewhat fuller figure (and much, um - rounder - legs) now seem more suited to 40's design.

I actually really love the look of the gal in in the first cape - you cant really wear a coat like that unless you DO have legs-up-to-there and a skirt short enough that it doesn't show past the hem of the coat. I used to have a charming wool houndstooth cape that I wore with black fishnets and my white boots... I still have the tie for that cape somewhere, and feel guilty about it's accidental divorce from its better part.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael