Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Those with a modern Stetson and modern Akubra - sizing help/comparison?

MattJH

One Too Many
I've read the accounts of folks ordering Akubras from Australia with fantastic exchange rates only to receive the hat, realize it doesn't fit, and having to send it back for an exchange, incurring an additional $30 in shipping charges, etc. If possible, with the help of some here, I'd like to avoid that from happening to me! :)

So I was at a local hat shop this weekend with my wife. We were basically goofing off until she exclaimed when I tried on a mink (brown) Stetson Temple, saying that it looked fantastic and that I was to purchase it immediately. Being the intelligent husband I am, I followed the orders.

Then I came home to read what everyone else said about the Stetson Temple here, and aside from one poster, they've received downright terrible reviews -- the powder from the felt will "run" when wet, causing discolorations; the crown will drastically taper after exposure to a good rain; etc.

Because I trust all of you, I want to return the Stetson Temple and order an Akubra Sydney/Fedora, or something comparable to it.

I am a 7 5/8 or 61cm in the modern Stetson Temple. Can anybody tell me if a 61cm Akubra would fit me as perfectly? I understand Akubra runs true to size, but I don't know if Stetson does. The reason I'm asking -- nearly all Akubras run up to 61cm. Very few run beyond it. If a 61cm Akubra will fit me, my selection more than quintuples! The circumference of my head is 24 inches. I did refer to the Akubra sizing chart on Hats Direct, but would prefer to hear directly from people with experience rather than data from a chart.

Thanks everyone!

P.S. - Just to get it out there, I'm not interested in a Federation.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Can't help you with the Akubra sizing question, but, in terms of saving on shipping costs if there are problems, you may want to check out noggintops.com -- a fairly good selection of Akubras, and good folks to work with.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I've got a Stetson Temple (7-1/8) and an Akubra Federation (57). These sizes are supposed to be the "same" size according to every chart out there. But the Akubra is definitely larger, maybe by as much as a half size. The shapes are also a bit different: the Temple is more oval, while the Federation is a bit closer to a proper circle.

The Temple fits me better, no question about it. (And despite all the horror stories you've heard, I think it's a very nice hat. I've had it for five years, and it hasn't lost its shape, had its color run, or anything like that. There's no question that its felt and construction quality isn't nearly as good as the Federation, but it's also nowhere near as bad as I keep hearing it is - and I've been into hats for 40 years.)

With a lot of wear and some exposure to rain and snow, the Federation has come to fit me a bit better, but it is still a little big, expecially at the back - it falls lower on the back of my head than it should, and rides on my ears (especially after my hair has been cut short). But I'm assuming that as I keep wearing it, and with more exposure to the elements, it will come to fit better. It's unquestionably a great hat for the price, and it won't be my last Akubra!

Now bear in mind that I've also heard that the Federation runs a little larger than typical for Akubra hats. Maybe folks who have multiple Akubras can speak to this rumor...

PeeWee

One of the Regulars
I have bought 2 new Akubra's in the last year. The Bushman and the Squatter. Both hats(7 1/4) have run consistantly slightly large somewhere between my true size of 7 1/4 and 7 3/8. A little felt under the band did the job. My other new hats are Miller (or Biltmore) and they run dead on 7 1/4

MattC

A-List Customer
Akubra shape

I want to second what Dr. Strange said, and add a point. In my experience, Akubras are definitely rounder. That can be a bit of a problem. The Akubras I've had were fairly stiff, so that reshaping them to get more oval can be a real challenge. My Stetsons (but the most modern one I bought was made in the mid 70s) are a good deal softer. I have also found the folks at Noggintops to be wonderful to work with.

RBH

Bartender
All I can add is my Campdraft that I ordered from here
http://shop.valleycountry.com.au/catalogue/category1/category13/category54/product334
a size 7 1\2 {60} fit great. I have had no problem what-so-ever with it.
As to the stiffness, after a little wearing and working of the felt it is now much softer.
I would think that when Akubra made these hats for Stetson as the Open Road, that they were as stiff as the current model Stetson, so the adding of the stiffner [maybe not as much of it] is something Akubra still does. Even with it being an open crown model.

MattJH

One Too Many
I'm still undecided on whether or not I'm keeping the Stetson Temple only because, despite a slightly tapered crown and a completely normal center bash/front pinch, it really does bring Indiana Jones to mind and I'm not at all part of the Indiana crowd and would prefer to avoid comparisons to the character.

Judging by the replies so far, an Akubra at 61cm should fit me. I've got my eyes on the Akubra Casual, but all retailers I'm able to find only have it in Carbon Gray, but I want it in a Regency Fawn.

I already have a black fedora (Borsalino Traveler Light) and a gray fedora (a vintage velour Stetson Charger Sovereign stingy brim, thanks to Mr Maltby), so now I'm in the market for a brown one -- but not an Indiana-esque one. The Stetson Temple is one of several hats recommended by Indiana fans to attain the "look," apparently, and this (above all else) is causing me to seriously consider returning the hat.

The Akubra Casual looks exactly like what I'm looking for, but I can't find the Regency Fawn color! My search continues.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have tried on Stetson hats and I own a few Akubras. In American sizing I take a 7 ½, from Akubra I order a 60. Both are a little loose on my head brand new. Over time they will shrink (a little) with regular use. If they are a bit loose, Akubra includes weather stripping to shrink the size down a bit (to be placed behind the swat band). I personally just use paper towel folded up behind the sweat band. I find it absorbs the sweat and is easier to remove if desired.

As for the Casual in regency fawn, if you cant find it anywhere as a regular item you can do a special order threw http://www.hatsdirect.com/ I have done this a few times already. They are very accommodating and it takes about three months to get it in. Hope that helps.
Johnny

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Dumbjaw said:
I'm still undecided on whether or not I'm keeping the Stetson Temple only because, despite a slightly tapered crown and a completely normal center bash/front pinch, it really does bring Indiana Jones to mind and I'm not at all part of the Indiana crowd and would prefer to avoid comparisons to the character.
The Stetson Temple is one of several hats recommended by Indiana fans to attain the "look," apparently, and this (above all else) is causing me to seriously consider returning the hat.

Honestly, I think any brown fedora will bring Indiana Jones to mind. I'm a big fan, but I don't think the Temple looks very Indy. Non-fans think any brownish hat looks Indy. It's part of fedora-wearing life these days. [huh]
I don't know anything about the Casual, but I know hats direct has the Federation in a fawn color (which I understand is more tan than the sample picture on the sight). Yes, it was designed as an Indy-type hat, but I have three, and none look like an Indy hat. There's also the Akubra Stylemaster, which I hear is very nice.
Just my opinion,
NB

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Akubra sizes

I am a true 60 in Akubra but when I bought one of the top ones cheap after the Olympics the hatter suggested I take a 61 and then he placed a little foam under the inside band and this is very comfortable. Sometime when a hat shrinks a little it can be like a vice and give you a headache - but you don't want it to blow off. All hats will shrink with the sun. MY Panama XL = 61'71/2 has gone back to a firm 60/73/8 in just weeks from the weather in Sydney summer. Ditto for Akubras and that is why they say never leave them in the car or back seat of same. American hat sizes are a little different (up a 1/4 size?) but centimetres is round the skull anywhere in the world - depending on the shape of your melon!

I don't think you will go wrong with the centimetres style. It is like Euro shoes - 44 always fits - a little looser or tighter but always fits.

Blackhorse

One of the Regulars
OK - I'll toss in a ringer. I always shop for a 61 in an Akubra...bought two on evilBay a few months back of the same model (the Bushman...a sort of Federation on steroids). Both 61's fit differently, maybe different periods of manufacture? Thew one I kept fits me better than ANY other Akubra I own. A friend went in to the local shop (John Helmer's in PDX) and bought a Stetson in his 7 3/8 size...liked it a lot and went back a week later to make another purchase and picked out a 7 3/8 Stetson in the same model, different color, same period of manufacture and it dropped down to his ears. He had to get a 7 1/4.

The point is that even though a hat has 61 or 7 5/8 stamped on it, other factors can make the fitting size on your head a bit (or significantly) different.

In addition, though this may sound weird, the WAY YOU WEAR IT makes a difference. Do you wear the hat pulled down with the front brim low...or do you wear it way back on your head with the front brim pointed up toward the sky? It makes a difference.

But, I would say to order just a little bit large and follow links here to help you adjust the size downward a bit. Good luck.

PS: I have a Temple in the sage color - decent hat for the bucks. Never had it in a downpour. Has more brim than most Stetson's seem to - and I like that. The sage is great...goes with things that no brown or gray will - sometimes will go both ways (gray OR brown, that is...ahem). Doesn't seem the least bit Indy to me...not like the Federation - which does.

PPS: I have a Stylemaster in some Fawn shade...and it also doesn't go anywhere near Indy style notes. It's quite tapered in the body...stiff as per
Akubra standard, and is bashed pretty low in the crown. A solid hat for a good price.

PPPS: My favorite production hat is a Biltmore Royal #BDF0374 made in Black Diamond only, I think. A 7 1/2 fits my long oval dome like a glove...it has a nice pretty straight body, 2 1/2 brim...and gets more comments out in public than anything else I own...except for my Fawcett custom. The black makes it a winter hat (but then, that's 3 seasons here in Oregon) - and it goes with all my grays, charcoals and blacks..you know, winter wear. Be careful of the model number...it makes a huge difference. Other Biltmores aren't nearly as straight in the body, which is what to me, makes this one look so good.

Just a few thoughts

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
As a retailer of Stetson and formally Akubra, I'd go with the Akubra hands down. I just wish that it was easier to deal with Akubra. Unfortunately they are too far away and the shipping charges aren't worth it.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Akubras

The point about dealing with Akubra is painful

Aussies have a lot of great authentic stuff but when retailers try to sell it the exporters all seem difficult to deal with and they lose business. This is despite the currency exchange advantage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy