Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thought you guys may dig my new Vanson Continental Comet

SoCalSoftailSlim

One of the Regulars
Well, actually NOS, since Vanson doesn't make this model anymore. These pictures are when it was pretty much never worn, so it's still breaking in. It's gonna look great with some patina. The jacket was built when Vanson still made them all in the USA.

What a great rider. I can be up to 80 mph on the bike and it cuts through the wind.

IMG_0161_zps7f823935.jpg

IMG_0162_zps9ba429b9.jpg

IMG_0157_zps198b39c5.jpg

IMG_0159_zpsc4ca594a.jpg

BobJ

Practically Family
What are those darker brown side panels, armpits and sleeve gussets? Are they just different colors for style or are they stretch fabric, or softer, thinner leather?

SoCalSoftailSlim

One of the Regulars
They are waxed cotton. A tad more stretchy (but not like stretch fabric) and they breathe. I like the way they look, but form follows function on this jacket. They make the jacket a bit more comfortable in higher temperatures. And they are located in spots you may not need the full protection of leather.

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
To me, what makes it a great jacket is the two-way zipper. I can't see why all longish jackets don't have them. As soon as a little physical issue resolves itself, I'm going to order a longer half-belt and wouldn't dream of not getting a two-way.

Last edited:

SoCalSoftailSlim

One of the Regulars
To me, what makes it a great jacket is the two-way zipper. I can't see why all longish jackets don't have them. As soon as a little physical issue resolves itself, I'm going to order a longer half-belt and wouldn't dream of not getting a two-way.

You got that right.

I've been wearing the jacket mostly every day since I got it. It's starting to loosen up nicely.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Does anyone know when two-way zippers first appeared? I told 'chunky'-style ones turned up 60s/70s, but whendid this next step forward come?

SoCalSoftailSlim

One of the Regulars
Good question. I own an old Brooks cafe racer, bout mid 60s vintage, that doesn't have the two-way. The zipper just starts several inches above the hem of the jacket, which can also work well.

It's gorgeous! Man, it takes time but Vanson looks really good when broken in. And chest pockets look like you can actually use them!

bluesforchallah

Practically Family
And chest pockets look like you can actually use them!

They do sit high and can be somewhat difficult to get your hand into and still reach the bottom of the pocket while wearing the jacket, but at least you can get your hand into it. You just have to reach across your chest using the hand of the opposite side :D This has been my experience with my Insurrection PLU-3.

Here's an old photo of when my Comet was new.

IMG_0590_2.jpg

Last edited:

SoCalSoftailSlim

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the compliments!

My Comet has inside pockets in the chest as well. Those are the more useful ones.

The outer pockets, I sometimes put a small garage door opener in one that I can easily press as I pull into the garage. But I personally don't use those pockets much, or really need them.

I tend to ride with as little extra stuff on my person as possible.

That's so bizarre that someone tried to pass a photo of someone else off as himself.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/insurrections-plu-3.55995/

He never came out and said it was him, but he never denied it either. Then in post #10 he answered a question regarding the bike--giving the impression it was his.

Anyway, it was a long time a go; water under the bridge as they say. I just thought it was interesting. And it brought me to a pretty cool forum. :D

Back to our regular scheduled programing... That is one damn nice looking piece of hide.

lol that was bizarre indeed! Looks like a typical shill post, though... I was just waiting for the 'but wait, there's more...' phrase to pop up in the op.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24