Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts on LC Schott jackets?

Laurus

Familiar Face

Attachments

• lc1380__dark-brown__1.jpg
    lc1380__dark-brown__1.jpg
    456.5 KB · Views: 534
Skip and avoid.

These are Chinese made Schott licensed jackets that are of questionable quality and worse yet, hold no value whatsoever. You'd be lucky to move it for $70 on the second hand market, if as much.

Schott-store.com sells mostly licensed stuff except the Perfecto line, which of course costs insane amounts of money.

For £340... No, for £240, you can score a fantastic, mint Schott flight jacket of any type and color.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeah, absolutely rubbish jacket. I think I saw this post on Reddit too, and the jacket you were after was the Aero Highwayman you'd seen in a music video?

Stick around here. Highwayman jackets pop up in the sales all the time.

jglf

A-List Customer
These are fashion jackets made with highly corrected leather. I got screwed and paid too much for one not knowing that Schott licenses out their name to foreign distributors.

Last edited:

Laurus

Familiar Face
Skip and avoid.

These are Chinese made Schott licensed jackets that are of questionable quality and worse yet, hold no value whatsoever. You'd be lucky to move it for $70 on the second hand market, if as much.

Schott-store.com sells mostly licensed stuff except the Perfecto line, which of course costs insane amounts of money.

For £340... No, for £240, you can score a fantastic, mint Schott flight jacket of any type and color.

Yeah, absolutely rubbish jacket. I think I saw this post on Reddit too, and the jacket you were after was the Aero Highwayman you'd seen in a music video?

Stick around here. Highwayman jackets pop up in the sales all the time.

Yeah, that was me :p

These are fashion jackets made with highly corrected leather. I got screwed and paid too much for one not knowing that Schott licenses out their name to foreign distributors.

Always look for a made in USA label (not just a flag) in SCHOTT if not AVOID

Are they really that bad? Apparently they're made in Pakistan, not China, and with naked cowhide. I have owned vintage American made Schotts before and the quality seems comparable, but that might be because I'm comparing a jacket that's 10-20 years old up against a brand new one.

I can get the above jacket off Amazon for £340, due to the Christmas season they have extended the returns window till the 31st of January, so my plan is to get it, see what it's like and return it if I find something better in the meantime, thoughts on this plan?

Thanks for your input by the way guys!

Aloysius

Are they really that bad?
Yes, they are.
Apparently they're made in Pakistan, not China, and with naked cowhide. I have owned vintage American made Schotts before and the quality seems comparable, but that might be because I'm comparing a jacket that's 10-20 years old up against a brand new one.

Nothing inherently wrong with made in Pakistan or made in China. Both countries, especially Pakistan, have produced good leather goods but these "Schott LC" jackets are low grade in every way possible.

Schott used to have a low-end line made in the US. If you found LC comparable, it's likely that that is what you were comparing to.

I can get the above jacket off Amazon for £340, due to the Christmas season they have extended the returns window till the 31st of January, so my plan is to get it, see what it's like and return it if I find something better in the meantime, thoughts on this plan?

I think that plan is a very bad idea, even with the returns window. By no stretch of the imagination is an LC jacket worth £100 let alone £340. If you are willing to spend that kind of money, get a Five Star. Five Star is a Pakistan based manufacturer that many of us have shopped from.

The Pakistan made jackets that are sold by LC cost about $50 at most to produce, probably less. In contrast, Five Star is the manufacturer, so all of the money you spend goes directly to them, meaning much higher quality leather, construction, and so on for what you spend.

Their website photos are sort of rubbish but you can see loads of excellent product photos from members here in the Five Star thread. This £100 jacket is along the same lines as the one you posted, except much better quality. If you'd prefer handwarmer pockets instead of the flap pockets, just let them know and they'll make it that way. You can also tell them to omit the USN lettering, unless you want that.

Last edited:

Aloysius

Honestly, a very solid route would be to order from Wested Leather in Kent. They're famous for making film and television costumes, especially Indiana Jones (the latest film also seems to be using a Wested). Their jackets are in the £200 range, all made on site.

The Indiana Jones pattern is actually quite a practical everyday leather jacket (I wore it as such while out and about in New York for ages), especially if you get it in something like their goatskin or "Dark Brown Novapelle Hide" rather than the film leather which is a thin lamb.

Bahabp100

Practically Family
Yes, they are.

Nothing inherently wrong with made in Pakistan or made in China. Both countries, especially Pakistan, have produced good leather goods but these "Schott LC" jackets are low grade in every way possible.

Schott used to have a low-end line made in the US. If you found LC comparable, it's likely that that is what you were comparing to.

I think that plan is a very bad idea, even with the returns window. By no stretch of the imagination is an LC jacket worth £100 let alone £340. If you are willing to spend that kind of money, get a Five Star. Five Star is a Pakistan based manufacturer that many of us have shopped from.

The Pakistan made jackets that are sold by LC cost about $50 at most to produce, probably less. In contrast, Five Star is the manufacturer, so all of the money you spend goes directly to them, meaning much higher quality leather, construction, and so on for what you spend.

Their website photos are sort of rubbish but you can see loads of excellent product photos from members here in the Five Star thread. This £100 jacket is along the same lines as the one you posted, except much better quality. If you'd prefer handwarmer pockets instead of the flap pockets, just let them know and they'll make it that way. You can also tell them to omit the USN lettering, unless you want that.

you shouldn’t pay more than $100 US for LC jackets second hand if you care to experiment

Thanks for your input by the way guys!

This isn't about whether that LC Schott indeed is as bad or not but the thing is that £340 can get you a truly fantastic, used leather jacket. We're talking Vanson, Lewis Leathers, Aero or indeed, high end Schott budget here - In any case, this amount of money gives you infinitely better options than that LC will ever be.

As @Aloysius stated, you'd be throwing money away. You'll get a Zara grade leather jacket that's worthless in the event that you have to sell it. £100 can score you a better deal, let alone £340.

Laurus

Familiar Face
Honestly, a very solid route would be to order from Wested Leather in Kent. They're famous for making film and television costumes, especially Indiana Jones (the latest film also seems to be using a Wested). Their jackets are in the £200 range, all made on site.

I can see they do custom jackets, was just wondering how far the customisation goes, would they for example make a jacket similar to the one in OP (without the sheepskin collar) do you reckon? Thanks.

Laurus

Familiar Face
This isn't about whether that LC Schott indeed is as bad or not but the thing is that £340 can get you a truly fantastic, used leather jacket. We're talking Vanson, Lewis Leathers, Aero or indeed, high end Schott budget here - In any case, this amount of money gives you infinitely better options than that LC will ever be.

As @Aloysius stated, you'd be throwing money away. You'll get a Zara grade leather jacket that's worthless in the event that you have to sell it. £100 can score you a better deal, let alone £340.

Where would you recommend is the best place to get a second-hand jacket, Ebay? I'm based in the UK. Thanks for the help.

Aloysius

I can see they do custom jackets, was just wondering how far the customisation goes, would they for example make a jacket similar to the one in OP (without the sheepskin collar) do you reckon? Thanks.

If you want that, I'd go for Five Star, specifically the ANJ-3, and if the pocket style is important to you, ask them to make it with side pockets instead of the flap pockets. (IMO the flap pockets look smarter on this style, though.) Five Star will use zippers and materials more like the high end (£600+) brands, despite just costing £150.

Wested is good at making the film jackets they list, but trying to have them make an unlisted style is usually not a good idea.

Where would you recommend is the best place to get a second-hand jacket, Ebay? I'm based in the UK. Thanks for the help.

eBay, the Classifieds here, the Deals thread here.

ChrisDamned

Familiar Face
Hello everyone. For European friends I think it is still better to invest in the REDSKINS brand from before the 2000s rather than Schott LC made with really bad leather.

f2002q

One of the Regulars
This is why I like this forum. Truly unadulterated advice. The people here have tons of experience and know where the pot holes are.

Laurus

Familiar Face
This is why I like this forum. Truly unadulterated advice. The people here have tons of experience and know where the pot holes are.
If you want that, I'd go for Five Star, specifically the ANJ-3, and if the pocket style is important to you, ask them to make it with side pockets instead of the flap pockets. (IMO the flap pockets look smarter on this style, though.) Five Star will use zippers and materials more like the high end (£600+) brands, despite just costing £150.

Wested is good at making the film jackets they list, but trying to have them make an unlisted style is usually not a good idea.

eBay, the Classifieds here, the Deals thread here.
Yes, they are.

Right, so I just brought a goatskin Five-star leather jacket, it came to around £200 with shipping. I was just wondering what you guys thought of the jacket and general fit?

Here's me wearing it: https://imgur.com/a/2V296aJ

Here's the images Five-star sent me of the jacket: https://imgur.com/a/siIcAET

Thanks for your input guys!

Aloysius

Right, so I just brought a goatskin Five-star leather jacket, it came to around £200 with shipping. I was just wondering what you guys thought of the jacket and general fit?

Looks like a great fit to me, and it'll get better with wear, so wear it hard and wear it well! Genuinely done well, which is more than can be said for a lot of people's first attempts.

You can wet it before going on a walk or just wearing it at home, and that'll help accelerate the moulding, but it'll also just happen naturally.

f2002q

One of the Regulars

Wow, good fit and a great price to boot! Congratulations on that great jacket.

Rus839

New in Town
I own a schott LC 1380 jacket (bought last year in new condition for only 150$), I know that isn't the best leather but in my opinion still a very good quality jacket compared to the other ones around that cost twice.

The leather type is "naked cowhide" and it's the thoughest jacket that I have, really it took me over a month to soften the leather.

ChrisDamned

Familiar Face
An exception for me concerning the LC Schott and their hazardous fit: This goat leather flight jacket with removable collar is really well cut. In addition, its emerald green lining goes very well with the brown color of the jacket. Schott Europe no longer manufactures them... I love this one.

04568a1eadaa64386250653d55571e712540d6dd5320ebcc9824d130d4dbe636.jpg
6be351df95cc51d9eacc1a6e453f8f13a40adcb8d1e3b04c7a9e57b5fd64d172.jpg
2578d5b0775752025becd39b16aa77deea5dd9b36ca4dcb20079c87d6eaba47c.jpg
bc29dec3e77eca6e875e2191d6ce5b4168cfb50b5ff3d861d9cb2a6eb188be93.jpg
1c97801b1dd5517ca57692a2ebda11f2269642aa27d5146b270a4c8c92009dcc.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21