Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Three piece suits

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
Am I the only one who loves the look of a three piece suit?
gerald_r-_ford_-_portrait.jpg

Personally, three piece suits, along with wide lapeled double drested suits, are my favorite kind of formal wear.

Also, does anyone see three piece suits returning to popularity anytime soon?

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I love it, too. I really want a 30's 3 pc. with a double breasted waistcoat.

If you want to get technical, suits really are not formal wear. That designation is for black and white tie; suits are for casual occasions.

This thread should go in the suit section, though, and probably merged someplace. Or do we a have a thread devoted purely to 3 pc. suits, yet?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I love three-piece suits, but I don't own any, sadly. I do own several waistcoats though (my favourite element of the three-piece suit). As it allows me to wear my pocketwatches.

Matt_the_chap

One of the Regulars
I only wear three piece suits, or make separates into three pieces (on very casual/warm days) by adding slip-overs or odd waistcoats. I can't bear to have shirt or braces on show.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I wear three piece suits to all, lets call them 'catered' (not 'formal) occasions. And if the situation calls for less than a suit, I wear a contrasting vest with a blazer and slacks (and tie, oc).

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I don't have a three piece suit at the moment, although i really want one, or seven.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Am I the only one who loves the look of a three piece suit?

Personally, three piece suits, along with wide lapeled double drested suits, are my favorite kind of formal wear.

Also, does anyone see three piece suits returning to popularity anytime soon?

You're not the only one, I like them too along with DB suits. They aren't formalwear though, technically a suit is informalwear (casual being anything less than a suit). Of late I have always worn a three piece suit or a DB suit or a two piece suit with a contrasting waistcoat. I have no problem with an exposed shirt, I just prefer to have my waist covered when wearing a suit (I don't necessarily follow this rule when wearing a contrasting jacket and trousers or other more casual clothing).

I think they may be coming back a little bit in the UK but unfortunately the three piece suits being sold here have waistcoats which are cut too low for my liking and come with low rise trousers so the trouser waistband isn't covered. Add on flat front skinny legged trousers and you don't have a very nice suit in my opinion, though at least that isn't sartorially wrong like the waistcoat issue.
6a00d83548242253ef0115702ba2da970c-800wi

Fifty150

One Too Many
Websites like tailor4less.com make the 3 piece look very affordable. Now comes the question of what a double breasted waistcoat looks good with. I would only consider wearing one with a morning coat or tails. I've always like double breasted jackets, with single breasted waistcoats. And if you're going double breasted, then you've got to have peaked lapels.

AntonAAK

Practically Family
I had Magnoli make me a copy of that suit. It's pretty damn close, although I have to confess that it looks better on Laurie than it does on me. :(

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Popular or not they are currently available. The problem is the material and cut are mostly terrible on OTR options.

Indeed. To my eye, a vest should be very form-fitting, to the pint of creating tugs among the buttons. Even with some girth, it looks best that way. Most of those you see are flappy and look bad.

JimWagner

Practically Family
A number of my suits are three-piece and were originally bought in the 80's when I had to wear them for work. Mostly gray or blue pinstripes. I've lost enough weight that they fit again and I'll be wearing one of them tomorrow morning to a funeral. Sad occasion but a reason to wear the suit. More weight to lose, so the vests are still "form fitting". ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24