Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Three Strip Technicolor of 1934.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
CharlieH. said:
Well, I'm not Lizzie, but I can answer that one. Screening a Technicolor film is no different than screening an ordinary film, since it's only one strip of film; it's the camera that takes up three reels. The two-colour system used only one reel that alternately registered the red and green frames.

Correct -- but there were, in fact, difficulties in projecting the early version of the two color process, because the red and green layers were originally printed on two separate strips of film which were then cemented together to form the final strip. Projectionists hated this system because the two layers of film meant they needed to turn up the current on the lamphouses to compensate for the light loss, and that meant extra heat on the film, which caused the print to distort -- "cupping" was a very common problem with Technicolor prints made in this way, and it's pretty much impossible to keep a cupped print in focus on the screen.

It's this original version of the system that's sometimes called "Two-strip Technicolor." It remained in use until about 1928, when Kalmus came up with the "imbibition" process, which essentially lithographed the red and green dyes onto a single layer of film in manufacturing the final print. This meant Technicolor release prints were the same thickness as a standard black and white print, and could be run without any additional problems. This printing method continued right on thru the three-color era, and was finally discontinued in the 1970s. So-called "IB Technicolor" prints are considered the most stable color film prints possible -- they never fade because of the way in which the dyes penetrate the film base -- but the process became too expensive and too painstaking for the company to maintain. There was an effort to revive it a few years back, but it again proved too costly to continue.

The only real difference between today's Technicolor prints and those from DeLuxe or any other lab is that Tech prints are still shipped in orange cans, as they've been since the 20s.

lyburnum

Practically Family
My favourite three strip technicolour film by far is 'The Red Shoes'. According to the founders of Technicolor, this is the best example of three-strip technicolor there is. You don't see the colours that well on youtube, but on DVD they're phenomenal. I was meant to go see it at the Tate Modern screening a while back but lost my membership card that day :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slo5FZyPtfw

28515922ba1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy