Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thrifting Tips

BitterEpiphany

Familiar Face
I've been thrifting for ages but today, at another site, someone posted asking exactly how one goes about developing a vintage wardrobe and the common cry was "goodwill, ebay and learn to sew" which, of course, is really the only advice.

Nevertheless, even going to a thrift store can be an overwhelming experience if you don't know what you're doing.

I like to go in pairs with each person on one end of the isle, then grabbing everything you like, throwing it in the cart and looking it over for imperfections, vintage, size and price later rather than spending a lot of time standing in dusty isles.

What are your thrifting tips and tricks? Do you have different techniques for estate sales full of piles and piles of clothes shoved into boxes?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well, here in SF, most stores have a 'vintage' section now. Its mainly the 70s rehash that gets hung there, but still worth a good look.

For me, I tend to look at tags. Namely tags in clothing where the type is embroidered in 2 or 3 colors. Thats a keen give. Also if a garment has a union tag. Bing!

Metal zippers are a good find too.

LD

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
my latest "duh" moment was when i realized that sometimes looking in the modern-day size-20 section will occasionally yield a vintage skirt that fits me - because that's the vintage size that fits me, and if the label says "20" it's probably going to end up there regardless of the size the garment looks.

so, look outside of the section for the modern size that will fit you.

also, if you're going to a store that doesn't have a dressing room, a measuring tape can be indispensable, and if you have clothes you could try stuff on over, that helps too!

Kimberly

Practically Family
Sho Sho, excellent tip about looking in different sections for sizes. Vintage was indeed different so many times a size 16 dress will be in the mondern size 16 section and it's more like a modern smaller size. The beauty of that is that it never gets picked up by someone becuse it's too small for them.

You should also try and get to thrifts at least once a week. I do it twice a week w/ one store where I always do well at. Getting there early helps too. I have become so experienced at thrifting that I can usually spot a vintage item amdst the clothes. This comes from experience in knowing my vintage which most of you have so it's definately an asset while shopping for treasures.

Kimberly

Practically Family
Lady Day said:
Well, here in SF, most stores have a 'vintage' section now. Its mainly the 70s rehash that gets hung there, but still worth a good look.

For me, I tend to look at tags. Namely tags in clothing where the type is embroidered in 2 or 3 colors. Thats a keen give. Also if a garment has a union tag. Bing!

Metal zippers are a good find too.

LD

Lady Day, I too look at the tags and search for metal zippers. I get so excited sometimes when I find a really cool tag and I know it's vintage. A good vintage find can give me an emotinal high that lasts me the entire week. lol

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I used to carry a piece of string with knots in it marking my various measurements. It was a lot less bulky than a tape measure, and I could stretch it out over any unsized garment and see in an instant if it would fit or not. Saved a lot of time!

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
Lizzie, that is a wonderful idea. How did you keep straight which knot went to which measurement? I would forget and think that my hip measurement was my inseam or some such :p

LizzieMaine

Bartender
A dab of colored ink on each knot -- red for bust, blue for waist, green for hips, brown for torso, etc. As long as I could keep the colors straight, it usually worked. It's an especially useful idea at flea markets and outdoor-stall type places where they don't have changing rooms!

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The thrifting around here stinks for me but is great for my boyfriend. Usually I do pretty much the same things as you ladies have said: metal zippers, looking in larger sizes for vintage, IGLWU tags or vintage looking tags. I always make a point to look in the lingerie section, I often find vintage slips for $2 or so.

For vintage purses, I just look for that right silhouette, then look inside at the tag and too see if there are metal interior zippers. A paper "made in China" tag indicates it just LOOKS vintage!

Kimberly

Practically Family
Miss Bella, I too look for purses the same way and the Made in China on purses of any other garment causes me to put it back as I know it's late 80's or older. The purses can be tricky though because they do a good job with making them look vintage.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
LizzieMaine said:
A dab of colored ink on each knot -- red for bust, blue for waist, green for hips, brown for torso, etc. As long as I could keep the colors straight, it usually worked. It's an especially useful idea at flea markets and outdoor-stall type places where they don't have changing rooms!

A friend gave me this fantastic idea. Ikea has those paper tape measures that they give out at their store. I carry one of them in my wallet. Its perfect, small and flat :)

LD

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I usually carry a tape measure that is in it's own plastic case and retracts with a touch of a button. Doesn't get tangled up.

The BF and I have two different ways of hitting charity shops/boot sales etc. He goes ahead for the quick look and I come along more slowly to look over what he's missed. It works quite well, but we both have a pretty good eye for stuff.

Only by spending loads of time looking at stuff (in vintage shops or from studying photos, Ebay etc) will you get used to what you are looking for!

epr25

Practically Family
I think once you are into the vintage clothes you can pretty much walk buy a rack and spot older fabric. It just has a certain weight, grain, pattern ect. Plus like everyone else you can ususally see a metal zipper shining through.

Medusa

New in Town
Oooh! I love this thread already!

I go thrifting about twice a week right now and am lucky enough to live in an area that has TONS of stores within about a 5-square-mile radius.

I have come across a lot of vintage clothing in stores that is in pretty bad shape with rips, stains, tears, and such. If I think that it cant be saved for wearing , I usually will use it for the buttons, pattern, or use to make purses, pillowcases, or etc.

Also, I am a larger lady and have very rarely come across anything in my size in thrift stores or at yard sales but I have found patterns (which can be altered) and have also altered vintage mumu's into dresses and skirts~!

:eusa_clap

Kimberly

Practically Family
Medusa, I too will buy things that are somewhat damaged and try and fix them.

I thrift twice a week and love it. It is causing problems as far as storage is concerned though. I had to pick up clothing rack to hold all of the new stuff I bought. The way I look at it is I get it so inexpensive that it doesn't hurt my wallet as much as it would buying retail, but it does take up a lot of room. :eek:

Medusa

New in Town
Most of you probably already know this but dont forget to check the book sections in your thrift stores!

I have found THE BEST magazines from the 1930s and 1940s and also pattern books and cataloges. You can at least get ideas for things to make or ways to wear clothing from these...not to mention that they usually have amazing artwork/illustrations!

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Often times I'll go to thrift shops not necessarily looking at clothes, but the fabric of the clothes that I can refashion into something else.

Hurrah for dirndl skirts just for that reason alone!

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
Medusa said:
Oooh! I love this thread already!

I go thrifting about twice a week right now and am lucky enough to live in an area that has TONS of stores within about a 5-square-mile radius.

I have come across a lot of vintage clothing in stores that is in pretty bad shape with rips, stains, tears, and such. If I think that it cant be saved for wearing , I usually will use it for the buttons, pattern, or use to make purses, pillowcases, or etc.

Also, I am a larger lady and have very rarely come across anything in my size in thrift stores or at yard sales but I have found patterns (which can be altered) and have also altered vintage mumu's into dresses and skirts~!

:eusa_clap

YAY yard sales, and estate sales, my Motherin law is an AVID antique collector/seller so i get to go along with her. and she goes "junking" alllllll the time, and so i have her on the look out for things i might like..
hehehe.
you can score GREAT stuff at great prices at those things!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Here's a thrift store tip that no one has mentioned yet, so here goes ...

When looking for ladieswear, you should check out menswear sections too. I've found 1940s women's jackets, suits and coats stuck on racks "reserved" for men's suits.

It also works in reverse: a good number of men's suits, coats and even shirts and trousers end up in the women's clothing sections.

Kimberly

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
Here's a thrift store tip that no one has mentioned yet, so here goes ...

When looking for ladieswear, you should check out menswear sections too. I've found 1940s women's jackets, suits and coats stuck on racks "reserved" for men's suits.

It also works in reverse: a good number of men's suits, coats and even shirts and trousers end up in the women's clothing sections.

I do that a lot and have found a couple of really nice coats that way. I have also found petite clothes in the children's section. :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart