Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thurston Bros. - Official Affiliate Thread

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
I'll be stopping by to say 'Hi' and check out some great jackets during my visit to Seattle next summer :) ! I have some questions regarding the Aero J106. Can the Aero J106 be made with the Buco tag instead of the Aero tag? And if so, is there an upcharge involved? Also: is the J106 made to the original patterns of the Buco J-24 (sleeve & body length aside)?

Hi Carrie, is the Aero J106 the same jacket as the jacket specified in this thread: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/archive/index.php/t-55011.html
Wade calls it a Buco J-24/Buco J-71/Indian Ranger hybrid. Also, can the J106 be made with the Buco J-24 passenger pockets or would this completely screw with the jackets' slim fit?

Hi mendelboaz,

The Buco tags don't cost any extra and the J106 is available with this tag...about 30% of customers order the jacket with the Buco tag... The fit of the J106 isn't the fit of the Buco J-24. It's not a replica jacket. The fit is much more like one of the Aero motorcycle jackets. We can do one like you mentioned no problem...the J106 is essentially that hybrid. I would advise against passenger pockets, however, it's probably do-able...

Hope this helps!

mendelboaz

One Too Many
Hi mendelboaz,

The Buco tags don't cost any extra and the J106 is available with this tag...about 30% of customers order the jacket with the Buco tag... The fit of the J106 isn't the fit of the Buco J-24. It's not a replica jacket. The fit is much more like one of the Aero motorcycle jackets. We can do one like you mentioned no problem...the J106 is essentially that hybrid. I would advise against passenger pockets, however, it's probably do-able...

Hope this helps!

Great, thanks! This helps a lot.

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
One of our most popular sales is a classic Vanson jacket in black Comp. Weight leather combined with an armored undershirt...it's the best of both worlds for excellent abrasion protection and high-grade CE level armor that is low-profile and closely fitted to the body (less likely to shift in a slide than a standard armored jacket). Our Vanson Comet PLU (longer body than the standard Comet) paired with an Alpinestars Bionic Pro Shirt is a great combo for the street!

Vanson Plu-3 1.1.jpg

Vanson PLU-3 Front 1.1.JPG

Alpinestars Bionic Pro.jpg

www.insurrectionperformance.com

www.thurston-bros.com

gtrplyr

A-List Customer
The Aero Sheene (classic Aero Cafe' Racer with a Highwayman collar) is an excellent choice if you like the fit of a cafe' racer and the casual look of a collared jacket! This Sheene was made with black CXL horsehide...

www.thurston-bros.com

www.insurrectionperformance.com

View attachment 16494

Carrie,

How is the collar of the Highwayman different then the collar on a 1930's HalfBelt? Also, is the Sheene a more fitted jacket then the slim fit 1930's HalfBelt?

Thanks.

Brettafett

One Too Many
The new 'premium' 30s HB looks like it has a Bronco A-2 collar, a lot narrower and pointy... at least its very similar, quite a classic retro profile IMO (see pics on pg 192).

But I would like to know what the differences are myself, between the Highwayman, Wayfarer, Dustbowl and the Plainsman.
I am considering a Sheene, my first civvi and the collars on the jackets above 'seem' to vary slightly, but theres no way I can determine this.
Thurston.. help...

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
The new 'premium' 30s HB looks like it has a Bronco A-2 collar, a lot narrower and pointy... at least its very similar, quite a classic retro profile IMO (see pics on pg 192).

But I would like to know what the differences are myself, between the Highwayman, Wayfarer, Dustbowl and the Plainsman.
I am considering a Sheene, my first civvi and the collars on the jackets above 'seem' to vary slightly, but theres no way I can determine this.
Thurston.. help...

They look pretty similar to us...you may want to contact Aero about the collar differences...sorry I can't be of more help...

malligator

New in Town
Since I got my J106 last winter I've lost 40 lbs and I plan to lose 20 more. Is it possible to rebuild an Aero jacket in a smaller size?

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
Since I got my J106 last winter I've lost 40 lbs and I plan to lose 20 more. Is it possible to rebuild an Aero jacket in a smaller size?

That's no problem...we just take your old order and apply a new size to it plus anything else that you'd like...just email us, we'll get a Paypal invoice going, and you'll have a new J106 for this coming Winter!

malligator

New in Town
That's no problem...we just take your old order and apply a new size to it plus anything else that you'd like...just email us, we'll get a Paypal invoice going, and you'll have a new J106 for this coming Winter!

Sorry, I don't think I asked the question very clearly. :) I mean, can you deconstruct the old jacket, trim as necessary, and use it to build the new jacket?

Damo

A-List Customer
Carrie, which Vanson jacket would you recommend for an on and off the bike. I prefer the cafe racer style. Thx

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
Sorry, I don't think I asked the question very clearly. :) I mean, can you deconstruct the old jacket, trim as necessary, and use it to build the new jacket?

It's possible to make minor adjustments to most jacket styles, such as slimming down a torso/waist area, or slimming down arms, but a true size change isn't possible due to arm holes, shoulder gussets and front pockets (features that remain static in a jacket). This is a frequent issue with leather race suits, and my advice ends up being the same...even minor adjustments can add up to big bucks, and it's often best to sell the old and replace it with the next size (or two) down.

Carrie, which Vanson jacket would you recommend for an on and off the bike. I prefer the cafe racer style. Thx

An easy jacket to wear on and off the bike is the Vanson Comet PLU (it's our longer version of the original Vanson Comet--many riders find the original too short to wear comfortably off the bike). Here's a photo:

Vanson PLU-3 Front 1.1.JPG

Also, the Vanson Model B Deluxe (Model B with extra body and sleeve length, as well as a few other custom details) looks great for all-around function and style...

vanson model b deluxe front.jpg

Last edited:

pawineguy

One Too Many
First Aero Received - Thank you Carrie and Wade

Seal goatskin half belt, tan contrast stitching with tweed liner. This was a stock jacket, but based on this fit I gave Wade an order for an Aeromarine in black jerky HH. I assume I'll need more posts to be able to post attachments, but I am thrilled with both the jacket and the service I've received on these and a Vanson Model B Deluxe from Wade and Carrie.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Seal goatskin half belt, tan contrast stitching with tweed liner. This was a stock jacket, but based on this fit I gave Wade an order for an Aeromarine in black jerky HH. I assume I'll need more posts to be able to post attachments, but I am thrilled with both the jacket and the service I've received on these and a Vanson Model B Deluxe from Wade and Carrie.

I should add that the Seal Goatskin is really a nice looking leather, with a very interesting grain, can't wait to break it in and see how it changes.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Battered vs Tumbled Horsehide?

Can someone give me a quick tutorial on any difference in weight, or if the difference is just in the degree of factory induced aging?

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
I think my question got skipped over...

Sorry about that!! As far as I know, these two collars are essentially the same. The Sheene is a more fitted style than the 1930s Half Belt, since it is the Cafe' Racer fit (very trim through the torso/waist area). The 1930s Half Belt can be adjusted to look trimmer (with the side cinches), but it is a somewhat looser fit than the Cafe' Racer.

mendelboaz

One Too Many
Can someone give me a quick tutorial on any difference in weight, or if the difference is just in the degree of factory induced aging?

I think the only difference would be in the degree of factory induced aging. I do believe the tumbled & battered are of lighter weight than the 3oz CXL Horween FQHH. I'm not sure of this, however...

Graemsay

Practically Family

Just to echo what Carrie said above, I've got a BKS Leathers two piece suit, and I've lost about 40 lbs since I picked it up. They do made-to-measure leathers, and reckon that they can tweak a suit for a 10 to 20 lbs loss at most.

The problem is that things like pockets will end up out of place due to leather being cut from the seams. Furthermore, you'll be losing weight everywhere, so the whole jacket would need to be pulled apart and put back together.

I'd put the old one up for sale, and get a replacement in. I'd probably wait until you dropped the other 20 lbs or so, otherwise we'll be having this conversation again next year. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff