Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tie Keepers

Quetzal

One of the Regulars
Today's tie "fashion" dictates that skinny ties are the most trendy... hence I am wearing my narrower ties from the 1930s and 40s, but for the most part, I am wearing my "Mr.T"-era (1952ish-1958ish) and 1960s skinny ties, such as those with small designs and clean diagonal stripes. No, none of my "Belly-Ticklers" and the like are for sale, but after finding many ties from that era (fortunately they are, oddly enough, not very popular by the majority in this crowd, and go for pennies on eBay at the moment) in thrift stores, I found a tie from the period with a tie keeper on the back, but it was not very sturdy.

Which prompts my question; when were tie keepers invented, and when were they seen on every tie? For instance, I bought a 3.5" wide Rooster "Thai Silk" Flat-Bottomed tie for $1.00 at a flea market, but, although it looks very Bold Look, it has a tie keeper. Then I found a skinny tie in the thrift store that had everything that a 1950s/60s tie would have, but it has a keeper in the back; granted, it was Japanese with Italian fabric.

How old are tie keepers, when did they first become commonplace, were they used more often by foreign countries, and can they really date a tie?

-Quetzal

P.S. will somebody explain why there are ties in thrift stores that feel vintage and have a shorter length when tied, but are obviously not from the 1950s and earlier? Are these ties from the later 1960s and the 1970s?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Tie keepers go back in one form or another to the 1910s or so, although they were different than the current ones. Grayco made "end-lock" ties in the 1930s which had both a keeper and a built in tie clip, but they didn't really catch on. You don't see tie keepers in their modern form come into popularity until the 1960s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy