Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tie mending

Section10

One of the Regulars
I'm not sure if this is original or not, but just in case it is it may prove useful.
The other day I found a very nice old liningless tie that I really liked, but the stitching in the back that held it together was almost completely gone. I ironed it as best I could and tried to resew it by hand. It was kind of narrow and with my clumsy fingers I had a really hard time to keep from snagging the material of the front part. This wouldn't do so I found a plastic slat from a venetian blind (mini blind) and inserted it inside the tie. This kept the needle away from the front of it and with a simple running stitch the tie was as good as new in no time. I had the slat so the needle struck the convex side of it and now I have a fine vintage tie to wear that not long ago was a piece of junk!

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Thanks for the idea, Section 10. I think your Venician-blind technique would also serve well when ironing out the wrinlkes on a vintage tie; it would keep the seam on the back from coming through, creating a shiny line on the front of the tie. I'll try it.

Kakkoii Mono

New in Town
for mending, cleaning or spot removal, reshaping, or even a custom crafted tie, Tie Crafters in NYC does all of that. affordably, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24