Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tilley Hat - Cancer Warning

de Stokesay

One of the Regulars
i have had the canvas model Tilley before, but they were quite hot. I eventually replaced it with one of their hemp models and I really like it - cool and breathable but great sun protection.

I believe that Alex Tilley retired and sold his company a couple of years ago, and unfortunately it sounds like the customer service has gone the way I expected it would.

While hats with big brims are great, if you're really concerned with melanoma, you would be well advised to use a high SPF sunscreen as well as a hat. Due to glare from pavement, water, &c., a hat isn't necessarily enough on its own, no matter how wide the brim.

Best of luck in finding a protective sunhat, and stay safe.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Must be a troll. If the OP had done some simple due diligence before purchasing, he could have avoided the whole issue. Second, he takes issue with marketing-speak but then does the same thing himself;
Just a word of warning about Tilley hats: the new ones could give you cancer.
While anything "could happen", let's deal with what is probable. New Tilly hats do not give you cancer. The light/UV that penetrates any head covering (or lack thereof) is responsible for the cancer, not the hat. Given the choice between a mesh Tilly hat and no hat at all, I'll take the Tilly every time!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana