Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Time for another jacket - Aero, Langlitz or Vanson?

too much coffee

Practically Family
Hello Nick;

You might take a gander at Fox Creek Leathers out of Virginia. Thick, heavy but soft cowhide that provides good protection while riding (or off the bike while sliding).

Very fair pricing as well.

I don't have any of their stuff myself but several FL members do..............run a search and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with their products.

Whatever you decide, good luck with your choice!

Best regards, coffee

IXL

One Too Many
I have several pieces from Fox Creek. Just this week I received a pair of guantlet gloves form them and they appear to beat the hell out of other brands I own. The guantlet area is actually large enough to go over a jacket sleeve. As I am between glove sizes, I asked the nice lady if I could buy two pairs and then return the one that didn't fit as well. She not only agreed to do this with no return fee, but said that my card would only be charged for the one pair, and just please return the one I didn't want. They also shipped the order the same day and gave me a tracking number (try THAT with Vanson). Now that is service!

For biking, I'd go with a biker's jacket. Langlitz may be overkill - budget depending.
I've had a lot of great jackets for this purpose. I don't think you need to spend $2000 to get one. Tons of Vansons on ebay. I think for riding, I'd stick to biker brands (I know Langlitz is, but come on...$2k?) You can get a great jacket for riding that's safe, cool, and affordable. Plus, on the "reality sucks" side, if you fall, I'd hate to trash a jacket that expensive...and I took my first fall after some 22 years of riding.

Last edited:

Aether

One of the Regulars
Cheers guys, lots of good advice here. I've had a look at the Fox Creek site and they do look like a good bet, not as sexy as the other brands but a lot more practical and a good deal cheaper too.
Butte, you're not wrong about trashing an expensive jacket, that would really hurt! And I've already had my fair share of 'offs', so maybe best to stick with a good workman-like vanson or fox creek. Oh, and thanks for the heads-up about the Aero price rise, that shortened my list a bit!

IXL

One Too Many
For biking, I'd go with a biker's jacket. Langlitz may be overkill - budget depending.
I've had a lot of great jackets for this purpose. I don't think you need to spend $2000 to get one. Tons of Vansons on ebay. I think for riding, I'd stick to biker brands (I know Langlitz is, but come on...$2k?) You can get a great jacket for riding that's safe, cool, and affordable. Plus, on the "reality sucks" side, if you fall, I'd hate to trash a jacket that expensive...and I took my first fall after some 22 years of riding.

I have a Langlitz price list and $1200.00 is closer to it for the more expensive models. I know, still a bunch....

Yeah, I appreciate good things, but crashing with a 1200-2000 jacket isn't on my list. Not that I like getting off, but it happens...I'd rather replace a $400 jacket than one of those.

jcmjrt

New in Town
If you really want to ride with the jacket and you don't need special sizing/have to have a custom jacket, I'd go with Vanson. The leather is wonderful and they make a great moto jacket. You could pick up an excellent used one for good money and save up for some great riding boots...maybe Wesco or...?? Having said that, I'd guess that a custom Langlitz would be truly wonderful....just a little expensive....but nice.

53Effie

A-List Customer
I'll put in my 2 cents. I have a Langlitz Cascade in dark brown goat that I received in May and I am very pleased with it. It is the most comfortable riding jacket I own and I the fit is just right for me. The goat is substantial, but a bit lighter than heavy cowhide and of course takes very little break-in. Customer service with Langlitz was really great. They were a pleasure to work with. AND they got the jacket done and shipped in a month from the time of order, per their initial delivery time estimate. Pretty hard to beat that. As you can tell, they get my recommendation.

D

Deleted member 16736

Joel,
you like the Goat?

I handled the goat, but didn't go through with my order. The goat was heavy, subtantial, and bombproof. Water rolled right off it. I was impressed, even with the sample.

pjstrass

One of the Regulars
may have mentioned elsewhere or before..check out Resurrection Vingtage ..I think also in Portland...posts also in FL...esp. for Vanson which you do not have to wait for...also Aero ...but much less $$ you can't go wrong with Fox Creek....great naked cowhide...not as weatherproof as a Vanson..but as good as it needs to be for the bike if you are not into leathers with armor...tho I think you can also do that with FoxCreek...I have had Vanson..the best for me...Foxcreek...quite fine..and Schott/Legendary...some issues with backing.lining/horsehide...but still fine jackets...

apba1166

A-List Customer
My story goes this way: Had a 2nd hand Aero jacket first, and a nearly new second hand Langlitz bought in their store. Then got a new Vanson. Wore it once, it sat, I sold it. It is what it is, and nice, and a good value, but not Aero or Langlitz. I then bought a new Aero and new custom Langlitz. If I hadn't had Aero/Langlitz I might have liked the Vanson, but side by side I could never imagine choosing Vanson over them now except if it was specific type racing jacket, etc.

As far as the goat question, I put on a new goat Cascade in the store when I bought my 2nd hand steer cascade for about half the price of the goat. At the time I didn't want to spend the dough. We all make mistakes. I love the one I bought, it might be my favorite jacket, but the goat is just awesome.

Last edited:

injunjack

One of the Regulars
I forgot to mention, I have also Legendary FQHH jacket. Nice one too, but for some reason I usually take the Vanson out.

Apba, I suppose you ride, right? Otherwise.....

Tony No-Toes

One of the Regulars

Neither of my Langlitz jacket orders exceeded $900. If I wreck, I'm not concerned about the jacket. Langlitz can repair it in a week. I'm more concerned withe getting the exact fit which is why I don't buy off the rack. I just can't find anything that fits perfect. If the jacket's too lose fitting it can gather and send a rider into a tumble in a spill.

Graemsay

Practically Family
Why not give one of the small volume UK bike leather manufacturers a try?

BKS used to do a Lancer style. I'm not sure if it's still offered, but they could probably run one off for you.

Just don't look too closely at the prices... :eeek:

Hideout sell the Brando Jacket which they describe as old school style with modern protection.

Crowtree are still semi-active, and have a fantastic reputation.

If you crash a bike then you want to be wearing one of the above. The BKS and Hideout suits are (I believe) made to the full CE standard, and Crowtree might well do so to.

Scott Leathers do nice kit at a lower price point. Some people have had issues with orders off them taking longer than expected, but my brother has an off the peg two piece and rates it. He's getting a Belstaff Mojave style jacket off them at some point.

Sillyrib

Familiar Face
Aero goat would be my choice. Try to get a one piece back if possible, but they may not be available anymore. For the price difference with the Langlitz, I'd take a trip and get it fitted with options.

Aether

One of the Regulars
Graemsay: I've looked into a few of the brands you mention but I'm not too keen on the styling. I've heard nothing but good things about them - especially Crowtree - but I prefer the classic 40's - 60's aesthetic. I know the CE padding etc is a massive step up in protection but I'd rather not wear it unless I'm on a trackday or go for a fast ride on the sportsbike, I don't ride that fast anymore anyway!

Sillyrib: Funnily enough I asked Amanda to send me some swatches of their goat today! I was thinking of a modified 'J106' in Russet Goat, should be pretty unique I reckon... Not too sure how their [veg tanned] goat will stand up to the rigors of biking in the cold and wet of the UK, but knowing Aero it'll no doubt be top quality stuff.

Being London based I'm going to have a look at Lewis Leathers too. From what I've seen they're exceptionally made and have some lovely designs, but it may be that they're not really aimed at bikers anymore?

Thanks for your input everyone.

Graemsay

Practically Family
I can get where you're coming from Aether. Most modern bike gear is a bit too Power Ranger...

Did you take a look at the Hideout Brando jacket? That's fairly old school in its looks, but built around the latest and greatest protection.

Goat hide is pretty tough, and up there with horse hide. I don't know how thick Aero's is, but most bike gear uses a thinner grade so you should be OK.

The question that I'd be asking Amanda (and I'd be interested to know the answer myself) is whether they do submerged stitching on their jackets, putting a second or third row under the leather so the seams don't wear through if you take a slide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran