Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Time for another jacket - Aero, Langlitz or Vanson?

Aether

One of the Regulars
So I came into a bit of cash recently and naturally my first thought was 'new jacket', followed by 'don't tell the wife'.;)

Anyway, I fancy a new riding jacket and have narrowed it down to: Langlitz Cascade, Vanson Chopper, Aero Daytona/J106 (any other suggestions welcome).

I've had/have FQHH Aeros but don't have any experience of any of the others, specifically I'd like to hear your thoughts on the leather used by Langlitz and Vanson and (how it breaks in, grain, patina etc). Also I love the Aero FQHH, but may give the steer a try as I hear its nice and heavy with good graining etc, but without the stiff hand of the FQHH?

The other factor worth mentioning is that as I'm based in the UK the Langlitz would likely be almost double the price of the Aero and Vanson, are they really that good?

Thanks

Nick

dortiz

One of the Regulars
Lol, same boat here. I have never seen the Vanson Chopper. Leaning towards a Langlitz and trying to decide between cowhide or goat. Having heavy HH I think Goat may add some versatility.

Used to ride wearing a black Vanson steer/cow. It didn't bother me in the cold as far as stiffness goes. My wife bought me an electric vest (which at the time I thought "these are for wussies")
Well, it was the greatest improvement ever to riding in the cold! I could use a T-ahirt and the vest with the jacket and smiled all ride long.
I have my FQHH on order, so I can't compre that yet. But for me, while riding, I like the toughest thing I can don. And I'll put up with stiffness for protection!

Aether

One of the Regulars
Might have to give the electric vest a go for longer cold weather rides, not sure I'd use it on the commute though, the guys at work wouldn't let me live it down!

dortiz

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the link. Nice looking jacket!

The problem with Vanson is they suck to deal with. Its normal to be told 3 months for a common item and then to be told they are still out leather and to wait another three months more.

CodeRed

One of the Regulars
I think that I would opt for the langlitz, is the vanson even made in the USA anymore?

HorseHide

One of the Regulars
When comparing Langlitz versus Vanson, Langlitz wins hands down. Comparing Langlitz versus Aero (especially given the price differential) I'm thinking Aero is the better option (it's more than a little ironic that someone from the UK wants a US coat and someone from the US wants the coat from the UK!).

Justhandguns

Practically Family
When comparing Langlitz versus Vanson, Langlitz wins hands down. Comparing Langlitz versus Aero (especially given the price differential) I'm thinking Aero is the better option (it's more than a little ironic that someone from the UK wants a US coat and someone from the US wants the coat from the UK!).

Remember that the grass is always greener on the other side!?

Aether

One of the Regulars
(it's more than a little ironic that someone from the UK wants a US coat and someone from the US wants the coat from the UK!).

Very true! 'Grass is always greener' and all that. Aero would be cheaper, but I've already got a couple of Aero's and I keep hearing how great Langlitz are...I've never seen one in the flesh so I guess I'll never know unless I bite the bullet?

I have had experience dealing with both companies.

Go with Langlitz.
Top quality leather, custom fit.
Great customer service. Turn around time less than 2 months (when I dealt with them.)

Vanson makes a nice jacket...but not custom fit, and turn around time/customer support...well...
I ordered a jacket from them one year ago this month. Standard design, standard size. Brown leather rather than black. Here I am sitting one year later....still no jacket.
When I contacted the last June, they noted the jacket was "in production." A month later it was "1/3 rd" done.
Still no jacket or estimated date of delivery.

Unless they have the exact jacket you are looking for, size, design, leather, color, actually hanging on the rack and ready to ship out, I'd pass on Vanson.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16736

Langlitz Skookum Cascade in Goat. $1300. Check out Langlitz Japan. It's listed as a 1950's dress collar cascade.

Or for $2400 you can buy their 1947 horsehide Columbia, the granddaddy of all leather jackets in production today.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aether

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the input chaps.

Jeff, I think I'll take your advice and pass on the Vanson if that's the way they conduct their business. I wouldn't have the patience to wait that long, and it'd probably be even worse with me being in the UK.

The Langlitz Skookum Cascade looks fantastic Joel. I'm tempted to go for a padded Cascade in black goat. Do you know what sort of weight/thickness they use?
The Horse Columba is also beautiful, but I'd have to do the same as ButteMT61 and buy 2 Aeros for that price. Lol.

injunjack

One of the Regulars
As a biker for almost 3 decades, I value the fact thet the jacket is made FOR RIDING. To be noted, I do not own an Aero jacket. And I am a bit sceptical of them in riding use.

Both Vanson and Langlitz have been making jacket for RIDING many decades. They get my vote.
I have a Vanson, and it is great jacket. If going for off the rack Vanson, remember they are extremely TTS. So if you want to layer, take one size up.
Just my 2 euro cents wort

Aether

One of the Regulars
Thanks Jack, you make a good point. I sold my Aero King of the Road, it was a lovely jacket but just not really cut for actually riding a bike. Looked fantastic off the bike, but that's not really the point is it?!

pjstrass

One of the Regulars
check out the Insurrection Vintage Leather website...also mentioned here at FL ...they have Vanson and Aero in stock...I agree with going with a jacket made for riding as Vanson and Langlitz are..my several years old Vanson is like armor and fits for riding...

IXL

One Too Many
Langlitz will send samples of the goat, as well as the various thickness's of Old Bessy. I just can't decide if I want the Pocket Columbia (I already have four of the classic style jacket, but not a Langlitz) or the Cascade.
Vanson has had great jackets in the past, the "made in U.S.A." product. My leather Vanson is a favorite. I have not seen examples of the product produced in El Salvador, other than my "Vent Max IV", a textile jacket of good quality and very odd proportions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24