Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Time for another "what book are you reading?" thread...

ITG

Call Me a Cab
I'm currently reading "Shadow Life: A Portrait of Anne Frank and Her Family". It goes into the historical background of the Holocaust and in other parts is set up like a diary of Margot Frank (Anne's older sister) fictionally written from the sister's perspective. (I haven't gotten to the diary part, as I'm only 25 pages into it). It's a pretty easy read as I picked it up from my junior high school's book fair. There are about 200 pages altogether and I've enjoyed what little I've read so far.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Has anyone read this?

The Chinatown Death Cloud Peril

Return now to those thrilling days of yesteryear, enter at your own risk into the dark and dank lair known as The White Horse Tavern, and meet Walter Gibson, the mind behind The Shadow, and Lester Dent, creator of Doc Savage, as they challenge one another to discover what is real and what is pulp.

For Gibson, writing a new novel about The Shadow every month is a way to evade his own dark past. For his rival, Lester Dent, creating Doc Savage is an attempt to bring the light of better days to desperate millions. In their lives and loves Gibson and Dent are as different from one another as the heroes they�ve created. But now the hideous murder of the fringe pulp writer H.P. Lovecraft ‚Äî victim of a mysterious death that literally makes the skin crawl ‚Äî will set these two men on a collision course with each other, and face to face with a terrifying and very real evil that could have sprung from the pages of their own pulps.

http://www.paulmalmont.com/

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I've just finished rereading one of the most hysterically funny books I've ever come across -- "Pipsqueak," by the seriously demented Brian Wiprud.

Wiprud writes comic mysteries about a wisecracking crimefighting taxidermist (!), and in this installment, his hero runs afoul of a sinister cult of retro swing dancers plotting world domination -- a plot which somehow demands the cult posess the stuffed remains of a once-beloved TV-kiddie-show squirrel puppet.

Honestly, it makes perfect sense once you read it.

I first read Wiprud when I was recovering from major surgery a couple years ago, and I can honestly say he is the only author who has caused me to bust my stitches laughing.

Irena

One of the Regulars
I'm re-reading my Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew collections right now. I looked up all the publication dates, so now I can compare the writing with when the books were written. It's fun!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails