Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Time for another "what book are you reading?" thread...

PrettyBigGuy

A-List Customer
I'm reading:

Spear of Destiny by: Trevor Ravenscroft. I've heard some good and bad things about it, so I thought I'd see for myself.

Michaelson

One Too Many
Finished two books over the weekend, one was the second in the series of biographies on Teddy Roosevelt, and the other the 3rd in the trilogy of Gettysburg and the Civil War. I'm half way through another on Civil War goofs, blunders and conindicences. I've been on a bit of a Civil War kick lately, but can have up to 8 books working at the same time, and none of them on a related topic! No WONDER my facts are confused some of the times!:eek: ;) Regards. Michaelson

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
I am finishing The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren and tonight I am going back and re-reading a book by Stu Weber. I am trying to choose between Tender Warrior or Four Pillars of a Man's Heart.

I think Weber is one of the best.....if not the best writers for men of our generation.....as long as don't mind being challanged.

I really want to re-read Timeline by Michael Crichton, since it has been made into a movie.....but it will probably have to wait until Christmas vacation.

Michaelson

One Too Many
I've read Timeline twice. I highly recommend it. Well written, and I have it on good authority that's it's correct in it's details. Regards. Michaelson

LNBright

New in Town
The similarities are curiouser and curiouser......... :)

Let's see, Repcheck's The Man Who Found Time, which is on James Hutton, one of the founders of modern geology, is a book that I bought, and have only just started....

I'm 3/4ths of the way through Winchester's The Map That Changed The World, that is on William Smith, another fellow who was fundamental in establishing field geology.

Also, I'm about half-way through Eldredge's Wild at Heart as my in-bed reading before cutting out the lights at night....

Those are the serious contenders at the moment, amongst the other half-dozen that are also in progress. I won't start any more 'til I finish these three up... the other partially-read ones will be finished up too, eventually, but these are the critical ones for me.

But, if the 6th Harry Potter were to come out tomorrow, those three would keep 'til after it..... :)

-Leslie

pwd

New in Town
"Bringing Up Boys" by James Dobson (we've got an 11 yr old and 5 yr old + two daughters).

"A New Commentary On Paul's Letter To The Saints At Rome" by Robertson L. Whiteside.

"Tyndale New Testament Commentary On Romans" by F.F. Bruce (okay, I'm teaching a Sunday Bible class on Romans)...pwd

Chamorro

A-List Customer
For God, Country & Coca-Cola: The Definitive History of the Great American Soft Drink and the Company That Makes It
Second Edition: Revised and Expanded
By Mark Pendergrast

Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic
By David B. Currie

And waiting in the wings ...

Salsiology: Afro-Cuban Music and the Evolution of Salsa in New York City
By Vernon W. Biggs
(Thanks to Rundquist for the loan)

Marlowe

One of the Regulars
"The Big Sleep" by Raymond Chandler. I dug it out to find a good quotation for my "signature" on this board and, of course, started reading it again for the umpteenth time. Good writing never gets old...

Marlowe

Renderking Fisk

Practically Family
Originally posted by Marlowe

"The Big Sleep" by Raymond Chandler. I dug it out to find a good quotation for my "signature" on this board and, of course, started reading it again for the umpteenth time. Good writing never gets old...

Marlowe

Marlowe... I'm reading The Long Goodbye out lout do my son. It's a riot!

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Nothing but textbooks... talk about droll reading. Try the Whole Library Handbook 3, or something like Management Basics for Information Professionals :(

But I look at it this way. Once I'm finished with school, I'll be getting paid to read every single day.

I think I'll have more than enough time to catch up :)

photobyalan

A-List Customer
Just finished Memoirs of a Geisha. I had no idea if I would like it when I started reading it, but I couldn't put it down, and was a bit sad when I reached the end, much the same way I'm saddened when I eat the last bite of a Wendy's double.:hamburger

Right now I'm reading Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I just finished two novels by P.C. Doherty, The White Rose Murders and An Ancient Evil, am now reading Berry's The Third Secret, and, waiting in the wings (actually on its way to me from an ebay seller), Kostova's The Historian.

I am also perusing a book called King Arthur: Dark Age Warrior and Mythic Hero and another entitled The Book of Sea Monsters, which has the neatest illustrations of, well, sea monsters. I have two copies of it and plan to give a copy to my 7-year-old great nephew, who believes in dragons.

It is nice to be retired so I can read and read and read, and then, of course, because I spend so much time on my kazoo, I also work-out in a gym.

karol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy