Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Time for another "what book are you reading?" thread...

Jay

Practically Family
I'm rereading Catch me if you can by Frank Abagnale. It's a lot better than the movie, I think.

RyFranzese24

Familiar Face
Portrait of a Killer - Jack the Ripper: Case Closed by Patricia Cornwell, Four Past Midnight by Stephen King and The Rum Diary by Hunter S. Thompson.

Mycroft

One Too Many
Jay said:
I'm rereading Catch me if you can by Frank Abagnale. It's a lot better than the movie, I think.

Yea it is! I am reading The Republic, The Prince, Reading Lolita in Teran, Tough Jews (awsome about the Jewish Mob and Murder, Inc.), and Manhunt (about trackign down Lincoln's assasin).

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Paisley said:
Jane Eyre.

Good choice. I loved Jane Eyre.

I just finished "Not Sll Soldiers Wore Pants", memoirs of a WAAC, and it was really good! Don't let the title distract you, it wasn't feminist propoganda at all! OH! And I'm so proud of myself! I just finished reading the New Testament!

Now I'm on to "Anne of Windy Poplars" by my favorite author, LM Montgomery. And I'm workin' my way through the Old Testament. Although Monty Python has installed their characters in my brain and now all the stories have the voice of John Cleese and his collegues.

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
I am currently reading Gray Ghost, The Life of Col. John Singleton Mosby by James A. Ramage. I also try to read my Bible on a daily basis also. I have completely read it once and now starting back over. I need to get me a copy of the Big Sleep. It is one of my favorite movies but never had read the book.

Gray Ghost

Mycroft

One Too Many
RyFranzese24 said:
I loved Catch Me If You Can. I flippin' love the movie, too. And I really want to read Manhunt, too. How is it so far, Mycroft?

Manhunt I am starting this weekend, if I can stop falling asleep early. Manhunt looks awsome, and got good reviews. I will keep you up to speed my friend.

J.B.

Practically Family
Hm...

Looks like there's a bunch of Marlowe readers here?!

Me? I'm in the middle of Vintage Books four "long story" collection of Raymond Chandler's Trouble Is My Business. :fedora:

........Then, next up: Poodle Springs.

farnham54

A-List Customer
I've been turning the pages of a couple of publications when my nose isn't buried in a text book (or a pint of Rickards Red!) :D

First, is Homer's "Odyssey"--I've been meaning to read it for years and am finally getting around to it.

Second, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six--It's a great story and, in my opinion, Clancy is a great storyteller--there are good guys and bad guys, and the good guys win!

Cheers
Craig

RyFranzese24

Familiar Face
Mycroft said:
Manhunt I am starting this weekend, if I can stop falling asleep early. Manhunt looks awsome, and got good reviews. I will keep you up to speed my friend.

Thanks Mycroft. It's getting gret buzz. I'm always up for a historic novel.

birdiepie

New in Town
Hiya,

This is my first post to this section of the forum. I'm currently "Honor Killing" by David E. Stannard, about the the Massie scandal that took place in Hawaii in 1931. The writing is a touch lacking, but the story and its details are so apalling that I can't help but be engrossed.

Prior to this I read Phillip Roth's "Plot Against America", which was fantastic, just the finest modern book I've read. The writing is wonderful and though it's a bit of historical fiction, it's eerily convincing.

...and before these two I started reading Edgar Rice Burrough's "Tarzan" series.

I suppose I will add mine but they are probably esoterica to most people. :)
Latest was Hunting Badger by Tony Hillerman. Before that was Sinister Pig by the same author. The next on my list is Skeleton Man.
The author has a way of drawing you in with the same characters and their development. :cool2: It might be a little too specific of a genre of mystery for some though a few movies have been made of his books. Thief of Time and Skinwalkers come to mind easily the other I do not remember. :cheers1:

Regards to all,

J

J.B.

Practically Family
jamespowers said:
I suppose I will add mine but they are probably esoterica to most people. :)
Latest was Hunting Badger by Tony Hillerman. Before that was Sinister Pig by the same author. The next on my list is Skeleton Man.
The author has a way of drawing you in with the same characters and their development. :cool2: It might be a little too specific of a genre of mystery for some........

Hillerman is absolutely "The King" of the NDN mystery novel genre!!! I guess the best "review" I can give for Hillerman is that he is the only author that I will pre-order a new hardback novel without waiting for a paperback edition! ...And this from a diehard skinflint! :D

But since his releases are far and few between, while I am waiting for a new one -- I've come to enjoy almost all of the writers in this style, especially the Parker/Turnipseed novels by Kirk Mitchell. :cool: (Reading his Spirit Sickness literally made my skin crawl unlike anything since the first time I watched The Exorcist!!!) :eek:

J.B. said:
Hillerman is absolutely "The King" of the NDN mystery novel genre!!! I guess the best "review" I can give for Hillerman is that he is the only author that I will pre-order a new hardback novel without waiting for a paperback edition! ...And this from a diehard skinflint! :D

But since his releases are far and few between, while I am waiting for a new one -- I've come to enjoy almost all of the writers in this style, especially the Parker/Turnipseed novels by Kirk Mitchell. :cool: (Reading his Spirit Sickness literally made my skin crawl unlike anything since the first time I watched The Exorcist!!!) :eek:

Thanks, I'll give him a look as well. I am about caught up with the NDN series :p now.

Regards,

J

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Hillerman has always been a favorite of mine, though the last couple of books seem as if he's getting tired of writing this series. The last one, Skeleton Man, was almost not worth reading, though I do enjoy catching up with his characters.

The only other authors I read in this genre are Margarel Coel and James G. Doss. Coel's been getting repetitive the last few books, but Doss is finally hitting his stride. His latest book, Shadow Man, was the most entertaining yet.

I've been picking up some of the "Hard Case Crime" novels recently, they're always fun.

Brad

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
J.B. -- Thanks for the info on Mitchell. I will be on the lookout for his work.

I, too, am a Hillerman fan, and have read all the earlier Leaphorn and, later, Leaphorn/Chee stories.

karol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner