Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Time to get some shopping in, lower Manhattan...

Doublegun

Practically Family
Looking for a shop that sells and services fountain pens (where the merchant KNOWS how to help a lfety) and I would also like to find a couple of good shoe stors - looking for a selection of well made cap toed shoes or semi-dress boots.

Thanks

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I've had decent luck buying shoes at an old-school store (actual salespeople who can measure your feet) near Greenwich Jewelers at 64 Trinity Place.

I don't remember the name of the shoe store, but it's just a door or three away from the jewelry store -- to the north, I think.

Doublegun

Practically Family
dhermann1 said:
The Fountain Pen Hospital, 10 Warren St., in lower Manhattan.
Their website seems kaput, but I'm pretty sure they still exist. It's a WONDERFUL store, an absolute wonderland of elegant writing equipment.
Here are some comments about it:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/fountain-pen-hospital-new-york

Exactly what I was looking for. Knowlege and expertise AND patience. Found just what I was looking for (and more).

Thanks

FRANKIE

New in Town
skyvue said:
I've had decent luck buying shoes at an old-school store (actual salespeople who can measure your feet) near Greenwich Jewelers at 64 Trinity Place.

I don't remember the name of the shoe store, but it's just a door or three away from the jewelry store -- to the north, I think.
I believe the shoe store is Stapleton Shoe Co. at 68 Trinity Place.

Edward

Bartender
Doublegun said:
Exactly what I was looking for. Knowlege and expertise AND patience. Found just what I was looking for (and more).

Thanks

What did you end up with? FWIW, I'm a lefty and the best-writing pens for me to date have been Waterman Phileas and the unsurpassable Parker 51.

Doublegun

Practically Family
FRANKIE said:
I believe the shoe store is Stapleton Shoe Co. at 68 Trinity Place.

Found it - right down the street from the Mellinium Hotel, where we were staying. Unfortunatly, they were closed Saturday. Maybe next trip.

Thanks for the suggestion - pretty much what i was looking for.

Cheers

Doublegun

Practically Family
Edward said:
What did you end up with? FWIW, I'm a lefty and the best-writing pens for me to date have been Waterman Phileas and the unsurpassable Parker 51.

I am also a lefty and an "over-writer" and "Ed" was extremely helpful. I bought an older (early 70's) Parker 75 with a medium nib and Parker Blue/Black ink. I also bought a Lamy plastic pen with a wide nib to play around with. For $30 it was a relativly in expensive way to replace my shrinking supply of Pilot Varsity pens.

I'll go back in when we are in the city again.

Doublegun

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24