Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Time Warp

I would like to visit a number of cities and have it be summer of 1940 or 1946 maybe. NYC - Manhattan & Brooklyn, LA & Hollywood, San Francisco and Miami.

I'd also love to visit old Las Vegas of about 1955 and also the gambling ships anchored off LA.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
If you're expecting a time warp, you should always carry a bit of period currency on your person, just in case. Because if that time warp opens and you have no spendable cash, all you'll end up doing is panhandling on the sidewalk. Twenty bucks in Julian-Morgenthau silver certificates, on the other hand, would go a long way.

Last edited:

Foofoogal

Banned
It happened to us. The place had been a pharmacy since 1865 and they literally kept just about everything. Bottles, advertising, prescription pads, you name it. Not to mention the building, built in 1853 was beautiful, 3 stories, with what had been on oyster bar during the turn of the century, in the basement. The upper apartments had clawfoot tubs and matching sinks, the 3rd floor had original wallpaper. And the storefront itself had tile floors and a tin ceiling. The place was spectacular.

This sounds awesome.
I would love to of been at a 4th. of July celebration around 1910 or so in a nice park with a picnic, Bands, gazebo, firecrackers, lemonade and all.
I would have the finest dress and largest hat I could find on.
http://www.rubylane.com/item/160562-a938/Kentucky-Derby-Hat-Ascot-Hat
something like this perhaps but larger.
Never mind. I found my outfit:
http://www.hamiltoncollection.com/products/906816_thomas-kinkade-patriotic-lady-figurines.html

Last edited:

rue

If you're expecting a time warp, you should always carry a bit of period currency on your person, just in case. Because if that time warp opens and you have no spendable cash, all you'll end up doing is panhandling on the sidewalk. Twenty bucks in Julian-Morgenthau silver certificates, on the other hand, would go a long way.

Fantastic idea Lizzie. I think I may just do that, you know just in case my dreams come true :)

Foofoogal

Banned
Thanks rue. did you see I updated my post and found my real outfit. I would sashay around all over that park. :p

The townsfolk would be talking about me for days...:gossip:

MissMittens

One Too Many

And don't take out the wrong currency at the wrong time, or as Christopher Reeves found out, you'll get yanked back to the present day again. I think the movie was called Somewhere in Time or something along those lines. It was on TV when I was a kid, and I actually liked it, even though it was a definite "chick flick".

rue

And don't take out the wrong currency at the wrong time, or as Christopher Reeves found out, you'll get yanked back to the present day again. I think the movie was called Somewhere in Time or something along those lines. It was on TV when I was a kid, and I actually liked it, even though it was a definite "chick flick".

I actually like that movie, even though it's a bit cheesy :)

MissMittens

One Too Many
The main reason I liked it was that it didn't rely on a contraption to travel through time. About 10 yrs before the movie was made, scientists found that there are more than one dimensions of time through quantum experiments. So the idea that you have to re-frame your "inner clock" to "see" the other times was unique. Although i didn't know any of this then, if past, present and future exist at the same time, what's keeping us locked in the here and now?

rue

That's a good question, but I think it has to do with the man upstairs ;)

Maybe it's because we would screw everything up like Marty McFly and would have to fix it.

As a kid, I tried doing what he does and just think about being there, but obviously it didn't work or I'd probably still be there ;)

CharlieB

A-List Customer
That's a good question, but I think it has to do with the man upstairs ;)

Maybe it's because we would screw everything up like Marty McFly and would have to fix it.

As a kid, I tried doing what he does and just think about being there, but obviously it didn't work or I'd probably still be there ;)

Maybe you are, and all this is just a dream....

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I'd like just a single day during the 40s decade!

First, I'd go to a 40s air base and I'd try to fly all the planes I always liked, p-38, b-24, Corsairs, Catalinas, Beech D-18... (I'd have to learn to fly first I guess)

Next, I'd go straight to a car lot and I'd try all those long 40s cars, Buicks, Cadillacs, Oldsmobile, Chevy...

Then, I'd indulge myself with some high fat 40s food for dinner. A 40s classic diner would be fine, a big hamburger, hot dogs, banana splits...

Finally, I'd go for some swing music. I'd like to catch a big band playing live or a closed harmony set like the Andrew Sisters.

I like your choices! Question is, would you be in Los Angeles, or New York City?

I'd really like to witness a WWII, US Army amphibious landing in the Pacific, but then I don't know if I'd want to risk getting killed before I was born...Apart from that, I'd like to be in Times Square for V-J Day, after which I'd buy all the suits, ties, tie clips, hats, shirts, socks, suspenders, belts, and shoes that I could with then-current dollars, and stuff them into the Winnebago that came with me. That and spend a day at MGM Culver City lot in 1939...

Last edited:

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
The past isn't dead. It isn't even past.
-- William Faulkner

Great quote! "E.R. Clay" had a different take on it, though:

"The relation of experience to time has not been profoundly studied. Its objects are given as being of the present, but the part of time referred to by the datum is a very different thing from the conterminous of the past and future which philosophy denotes by the name Present. The present to which the datum refers is really a part of the past — a recent past — delusively given as being a time that intervenes between the past and the future. Let it be named the specious present, and let the past, that is given as being the past, be known as the obvious past. All the notes of a bar of a song seem to the listener to be contained in the present. All the changes of place of a meteor seem to the beholder to be contained in the present. At the instant of the termination of such series, no part of the time measured by them seems to be a past. Time, then, considered relatively to human apprehension, consists of four parts, viz., the obvious past, the specious present, the real present, and the future. Omitting the specious present, it consists of three... nonentities — the past, which does not exist, the future, which does not exist, and their conterminous, the present; the faculty from which it proceeds lies to us in the fiction of the specious present."

After all that, I still like Faulkner's view better.:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart