Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Time Warp

The village I live in now, is much like Mayberry. Small town, older downtown and residences only about 2,000 people. I live about dead center, above a downtown store, which is my dad's gun shop. Really love it here and if it were up to me, I'd never leave, except to move to South Carolina.

rue

The village I live in now, is much like Mayberry. Small town, older downtown and residences only about 2,000 people. I live about dead center, above a downtown store, which is my dad's gun shop. Really love it here and if it were up to me, I'd never leave, except to move to South Carolina.

I wish our town was still like Mayberry, but it was destroyed by a tornado years ago and they can't seem to bring it back. You're very lucky AtomicEraTom :)

I am so sorry to hear that. I am very lucky, however. The most Mayberry-esque town I ever lived in was Columbus, Wis. Where they did some filming for Public Enemies. Beautiful, beautiful town.

I wish our town was still like Mayberry, but it was destroyed by a tornado years ago and they can't seem to bring it back. You're very lucky AtomicEraTom :)

Old Rogue

Practically Family
I visited Mt. Airy, NC this past spring. Mt. Airy is the hometown of Andy Griffith and was the model for Mayberry. Francis Bavier, the actress that played Aunt Bea on the show, spent the last few years of her life there hoping to find the Mayberry depicted in the series. The town has attempted to capitalize on its native son and does have a bit of a tourist trap flavor, but is still not a bad place to spend a day or so. This wasn't quite a time warp moment, and Mt. Airy is definitely not the Mayberry of our dreams, but it is a really nice southern town with lots of friendly folks.

It's fantastic. AND they have the State's largest Antique Mall, takes up the entirety of an old canning factory. I'll be there Sunday!

Maybe if we have to move again (army husband) I'll request it. It sounds wonderful :)

We considered moving to Mt. Airy, as my folks want to move south. However, they want to go farther south and are interested in around Abbeville, SC, birthplace of the Confederacy.

I visited Mt. Airy, NC this past spring. Mt. Airy is the hometown of Andy Griffith and was the model for Mayberry. Francis Bavier, the actress that played Aunt Bea on the show, spent the last few years of her life there hoping to find the Mayberry depicted in the series. The town has attempted to capitalize on its native son and does have a bit of a tourist trap flavor, but is still not a bad place to spend a day or so. This wasn't quite a time warp moment, and Mt. Airy is definitely not the Mayberry of our dreams, but it is a really nice southern town with lots of friendly folks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart