Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tips for best "all weather" hat

Couch-Commando

New in Town
I emailed some of the companies referenced here, and didn't really think about wait times. I'm probably moving in the next few months. I've been meaning to get a fedora at some point anyway. Would the Akubra adventurer be a good choice in the short run?

Zoukatron

One of the Regulars
Pretty much any Akubra would probably do fine as an interim hat if you want one fast. I would ask though, clearly you've worn your hat for a long time, but have you worn many different hats? I just wonder if you would be better off, if you have the money to be able to afford custom, getting a couple cheaper (but still good) hats and seeing if different shapes suit you better? It would just be unfortunate to get a high-end expensive custom hat and then some time later realise you would have been better with something a bit different.

RJR

I emailed some of the companies referenced here, and didn't really think about wait times. I'm probably moving in the next few months. I've been meaning to get a fedora at some point anyway. Would the Akubra adventurer be a good choice in the short run?
The adventurer is a fine hat,I'm very fond of mine.BE Aware that there are at least two versions,one has considerable more taper than the other.Mine had a damaged brim and ribbon when I got it so disregard those points.I think it came from David morgan.
Hat-Akubra-DM Adventurer 2.jpg

Couch-Commando

New in Town
I emailed the folks at Northwest Hats. They are offering a 100% beaver cowboy hat for $350 with a 3-4 month wait. Reviews on their facebook page look great, and that's by far the best full beaver western hat price I've seen so far. Anyone here have personal experience?

I have 6 customs from NorthWest and all are great . Mike's work compares with any of my customs and in my book is a Master hatter. Not sure of their wait times but check out Havens Bros Hats. They offer fedora and western weight for a good price. I have one western weight beaver from them and it is a great hat.

Couch-Commando

New in Town
I figured I'd mention that I got my hat from Northwest Hats this week. It turns out I ordered it a little large, but Mike was very patient in helping me make it work. After adjusting the crown a bit, the hat fits well. It is extremely high quality. And after going for an extended walk in the pouring rain, it kept my head dry. I'm happy.
DSCN2801_small.jpg

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I figured I'd mention that I got my hat from Northwest Hats this week. It turns out I ordered it a little large, but Mike was very patient in helping me make it work. After adjusting the crown a bit, the hat fits well. It is extremely high quality. And after going for an extended walk in the pouring rain, it kept my head dry. I'm happy. View attachment 139495
Congrats on the new hat! Be sure and post it in the NW Hats thread, too!

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/northwest-hats-eugene-ore.66155/page-82

RJR

I figured I'd mention that I got my hat from Northwest Hats this week. It turns out I ordered it a little large, but Mike was very patient in helping me make it work. After adjusting the crown a bit, the hat fits well. It is extremely high quality. And after going for an extended walk in the pouring rain, it kept my head dry. I'm happy. View attachment 139495
That's good looking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy