Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Titanic sunk by U-boat?

Cobden

Practically Family
Story said:
(Sept. 22) -- A novelist whose grandfather survived the Titanic's sinking has revealed a long-held family secret: that the man behind the ship's wheel turned it the wrong way, crashing into an iceberg and causing the ship's demise.

Louise Patten's grandfather Charles Lightoller was second officer on the Titanic's maiden -- and only -- voyage when it sank in April 1912. He was in his cabin when the boat struck the iceberg, and vowed to stay with the ship rather than go to a lifeboat. As it sank, he jumped into the water and was sucked down into the depths -- but then miraculously thrown back to the surface by an underwater explosion, and picked up by a lifeboat.

http://www.aolnews.com/world/articl...ring-error-sank-titanic/19643621?ncid=webmail

An intriguing theory, that falls down on the fact that Hitchins previous vessel was the HMT Dongola, a steam ship, and the lines he had previously served with also exclusively used steamships. Making a mistake like that would be like a modern driver hitting the accelerator instead of the brake as the right hand pedal on a Model T was the brake...

So, basically, rubbish.

However, the much vaunted safety improvements made after the Titanic's sinking did have, in one instance, a rather counterproductive effect: the extra lifeboats were a contributing factor in the capsizing of the the SS Eastland...

Richard Warren

Practically Family
The article seems to be saying that the system of steering steamships was in transition in 1912. Apparently at some point steam were steered as were sailing ships, and then the system changed. The fact that the helmsman sailed on steam ships does not answer the question of what system those steamships used.

sportride67

New in Town
Story said:
(Sept. 22) -- A novelist whose grandfather survived the Titanic's sinking has revealed a long-held family secret: that the man behind the ship's wheel turned it the wrong way, crashing into an iceberg and causing the ship's demise.

Actually this is true...sorta

Fact: The iceberg in fact did strike the starboard side.
Fact: The order from 1st Officer Murdoch was given "hard a starboard!". Fact: Quartermaster Hitchens turned the wheel to starboard.

...but in the day, turning the wheel to starboard caused a ship to turn to Port. This goes back to the old "tiller" days (before a wheel or helm) where a large "L" shaped lever was attached directly to the rudder with no gears, pulleys or likewise. As a navigator pushed the tiller to the right (starboard) this pivoted the rudder clockwise where it would turn the vessel to the left (Port).

Maritime matters are all about tradition.

Cobden

Practically Family
sportride67 said:
Actually this is true...sorta

Fact: The iceberg in fact did strike the starboard side.
Fact: The order from 1st Officer Murdoch was given "hard a starboard!". Fact: Quartermaster Hitchens turned the wheel to starboard.

...but in the day, turning the wheel to starboard caused a ship to turn to Port. This goes back to the old "tiller" days (before a wheel or helm) where a large "L" shaped lever was attached directly to the rudder with no gears, pulleys or likewise. As a navigator pushed the tiller to the right (starboard) this pivoted the rudder clockwise where it would turn the vessel to the left (Port).

Maritime matters are all about tradition.

Exactly; which is why when an officer of the time gave the order "Hard a Starboard", he meant "turn the wheel to starboard" (even if the effect was to cause the ship to turn to port"), not "Turn the Ship to Starboard" precisely to avoid this confusion. Hitchens correctly interpreted the order, and the ship turned to port, as the officer wished (and proved by the discovery of the wreck). The mis-steering theory has been around for years, and has been thoroughly debunked.

A more accurate reason for the failure of the Titanic to miss the iceberg was due to the decision to reverse the engines in an attempt to slow the ship. This could not have stopped a ship with 52,000 tons of displacement going at 22 knots in the distance it had to stop, and would have rendered the rudder next to useless

Subvet642

A-List Customer
Undertow said:
Not to bring this one back from the murky depths (lol wow I'm hilarious) but I've seen some videos of torpedoes exploding underneath a ships hull causing a large void in which the hull breaks in two, like snapping a twig.

Does anyone think this may be possible?

I was a Torpedoman's Mate in the Navy and while that's how they work today, that technology wasn't available then, and there is still a huge explosion.

William G.

One of the Regulars
Interesting to run across this. Just yesterday, I watched a YouTube video contradicting many accepted beliefs about the collision (and much of what was portrayed in the movie):
The guys who made the video are making what looks to be an amazing computer game with an incredibly accurate and explorable 3D model of the ship and its interiors.

William G.

One of the Regulars
Also worth mentioning, the story of Titanic's sister ship Olympic is quite interesting too. It was a calamity-prone ship in its first year or so of service (pre-Titanic), yet ended up with a remarkably stellar service record.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
It is hard to exaggerate just how important it was to set a new speed record with a new ocean liner. Everyone wanted to cross in the quickest time, especially business men and rich men generally. This meant the fastest ship was always the most popular with those who had money to spend.

An ocean liner like the Titanic represented an enormous investment. The only way to make it pay was to sell all the passenger accommodation on every voyage. Taking the Blue Riband, or prize for fastest passage guaranteed world wide publicity and the greatest popularity. If it failed or got a reputation for being slow it could hurt the company's profits badly.

This is why the company management would impress upon the captain the importance of setting a new speed record on the maiden voyage. Such a feat would guarantee the success of the vessel. This was common knowledge at the time. If no one mentioned it as the reason for the crash it was only because it was taken for granted.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The Titanic had a top speed of 23 knots, she could never have taken the Blue Ribbon, nor did her two sister ships! The record in 1912, had been set in 1909 by the RMS Mauritania at 26.06 knots, a record she held for over two decades!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
On an interesting bit of trivia, Violet Jessop, was on the Olympic when it collided with the HMS Hawke. Then she was on the Titanic during the fateful maiden voyage. If that wasn't enough, she was on board the Britannic, when it hit a German mine and sank. She still loved the sea and continued to work and sail on cruise ships tell after WWII. She died of natural causes in 1971, at the age of 84!
violet_jessop_zps61ern2tv.jpg

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
On an interesting bit of trivia, Violet Jessop, was on the Olympic when it collided with the HMS Hawke. Then she was on the Titanic during the fateful maiden voyage. If that wasn't enough, she was on board the Britannic, when it hit a German mine and sank. She still loved the sea and continued to work and sail on cruise ships tell after WWII. She died of natural causes in 1971, at the age of 84!
violet_jessop_zps61ern2tv.jpg
I think I'd be very nervous to find out she was on the same ship with me (if we were contemporaries).

Either that or I'd be her best friend since she had such a knack at survival.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo