Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Titanic to Be Re-Released in 3D for 100th Anniversary

Espee

Practically Family
I saw "Treasure of the Four Crowns" way back when. I thought the effect could be put to good use with Victoria Abril, although she wasn't particularly curvy.
Instead it was a baby's bottom, grapes being dumped into a basket, and arrows, hatchets, and other weapons coming at the camera.

Espee

Practically Family
How do you convert a movie to 3-D? Is that like electronically-processed (fake) stereo?
Filter out Celine Dion and I'll see it (for the first time.)

Edward

Bartender
I can't see 3-D movies -- my eyes have "inadequate binocularity," and all I see when looking at 3-D processes is blurred, doubled images. So 3-D is something I have zero interest in -- we aren't equipped to show 3-D, and unless they start making indie art films in the process, there's no reason for us to be. And the idea of reprocessing older films for 3-D is the modern equivalent of "goat glanding" silent pictures for sound. And if you've ever seen a goat-glander, you'll know how well that worked out...

I wasn't aware 3D requires a specific camera type to show. All the films I've seen in 3D so far have been shot in 3D, though I have been told that the effect is markedly depreciated when applied ex post. I suppose that's like colourising old films. I guess I'd rather see folks watch Casablanca colourised than not at all, but still... it's almost as bad as laugh tracks on sitcoms. (I remember watching a business-training themed documentary about British cinema some years ago, which centred on Bob Hoskins' 24 7. They were analysing why it didn't do so well at the box office, and the main conclusion drawn was that most people the interviewed said they didn't go and see it because it wasn't in colour. I get the business point, from from pov of art, culture, and anyone with a soul, how utterly depressing. This is the sort of profit-fascism that led to the complete artistic betrayal of the source material in Little Shop of Horros with that hateful, hateful "happy" ending.) Even some of my favourite UK sitcoms of recent years have a "live studio audience", following a norm first established, I believe, in the US. Never understood why - are a significant proportion of the audience so dumb that they need a cue when to laugh? Or the punchline pointing out? I personally regard the laughter track (whether canned or live studio audience) as one of the single worst developments in televisual history.

I'd like to see "Fantasia" and "2001: A Space Odyssey" in 3-D. Guess I'll just have to drop some acid.

I don't think even acid could make me sit through 2001 again. Some lovely photography, but quite plausibly the most tedious film I have ever watched. It's at least an hour too long. At least.

If you leave when the credits start to roll then you won't have to hear her :p

Even better, if you don't show up in the first place you don't waste three hours of your life you'll never get back! ;)

Down2BDapper

Familiar Face
I'll check it out. I never saw it in theaters the first time around, because I was thirteen and a boy and not interested. Now that I've seen it on video I actually like it and think the big screen will do it some justice. The 3D not so much.

O2BSwank

One of the Regulars
I don't think that 3-D will enhance the movie but I think that I-Max will. I never saw the movie theatrically during it's first release, and saw it on home big screen instead. I will take the wife out for a romantic movie night.

Espee

Practically Family
A few of Melies' films can be seen in 3-D, because he had two cameras side-by-side in order to make a second print he could release in the US at the same time as the French one. He had been the victim of pirates who were exhibiting copies in the US before he was ready to supply his own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner