Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To Fur or not to Fur *invest, that is*

Nashoba

One Too Many
I'm a native american dancer and I actually have two minks hair drops that I wear as part of my dance regalia. It's the full mink head feet and tails with an aligator clip sewn into the top to clip into my braids. I wear one on each side and then I criss cross ribbon down the length. They go from right under my ear to almost my hips. When I was younger I had mink 'strips' that I wore that didn't have the heads they had abalone shells that were attached at the top instead but they still have feet :). I would love a vintage fur, I just never seem to find one that fits or is in good condition...I did inherit a wool coat with a gorgeous mink collar from my husband's grandmother that IS from the 40's (the woman kept everything, his grandfather let me take anything I wanted and I took all that I could fit in my car....clothes from the 30's - 70's, I swear that house is a museum!) I adore that coat, and come to think of it I don't think I've ever had it cleaned. It hasn't needed it....

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
this is slightly off-topic, but i'm wondering if anyone knows when fake fur came into use. we got an AMAZING coat in at work today, and the buttons look 30s, but it's fake fur and i don't know that it was around then. someone clue me in, please!

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
ShooShooBaby said:
this is slightly off-topic, but i'm wondering if anyone knows when fake fur came into use. we got an AMAZING coat in at work today, and the buttons look 30s, but it's fake fur and i don't know that it was around then. someone clue me in, please!
Might be early seventies, as there was a brief resurgence of thirties styles then.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
I'm all for vintage fur wearing! Like the other ladies here say it's best to buy soft supple pelts that look like they have been loved, pelts that shed are also an indication that the animal was stressed when it was killed.... which needless to say are best avoided.

If you buy from a good seller they should be able to tell you exactly what kind of fur it is and how to store it.

The best place to keep fur is the coldest place in your house/apartment, (wrapped in brown acid free tissue in the freezer if you can) I don't have space in mine so mine are turned inside out and wrapped up in the back of the wardrobe.

You need to take them out regularly and give them a gentle brush here and there to check that they are doing ok and that you don't have any unwanted visitors lurking in them!!!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
On the fake fur question, I have a coat that dates from the late 40s/early 50s that is fake Persian Lamb (the label reads "LusterLamb"). Quite well done too.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I have a few vintage furs, one of which I got at the Goodwill and has somewhat scalloped edges. It's lovely and has snaps sewn to the underside, for snapping onto a coat, I suppose. I hope I can find something it will look nice with!

I love furs, and am never creeped out by them, even the weasels with their little noses and feet. I'm thinking it's because when I was a kid I would play with my dad's souvenirs from South America -- shrunken sloths and monkeys!

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
pigeon toe said:
I have a few vintage furs, one of which I got at the Goodwill and has somewhat scalloped edges. It's lovely and has snaps sewn to the underside, for snapping onto a coat, I suppose. I hope I can find something it will look nice with!

I love furs, and am never creeped out by them, even the weasels with their little noses and feet. I'm thinking it's because when I was a kid I would play with my dad's souvenirs from South America -- shrunken sloths and monkeys!
You had shrunken monkeys!? :eek: I am so jealous! lol

Only Sleeping

New in Town
I was hesitant to wear fur in my new town - there are tons of vegans & animal rights people, but I have been met with great acceptance when I do!

I have been hitting up estate sales for the past year and I now have 3 different sets of "mink strings" as I like to call them. I'm able to buy fur for fairly cheap (under $25). With my bigger furs, I store them in cold storage at the furriers, but with these smaller pieces, I display them around the house.

One hint, though, don't wear them when it's raining - it will smell like wet dog!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/136/381938368_728bb0efd5_o.jpg
Dress with fur trim sleeves and a little minky 'round the neck.

vintagelaura

New in Town
I had this 3/4 length, late-40s beaver trimmed coat cleaned last year for around $30.
tan_wool_fur_coat_1.jpg

I have a cropped, '60s persian lamb jacket that needs to be cleaned. (Smells like stale cig smoke, and airing it out hasn't done much good.) The same cleaner quoted me $65-$75 to clean that.

With my cleaner (who specializes in fur & vintage), I have found that if it is only trimmed in fur it is less expensive to clean than an item that is entirely fur.

And it is true - if the fur is shedding, or if the pelts are brittle or splitting, there is nothing you can do to save it and you should probably just pass on it.

Laura

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
I had this 3/4 length, late-40s beaver trimmed coat cleaned last year for around $30.

Oooh! $30 isn't as bad as I had imagined! And my coat has about the same amount of fur as that (lovely) one does. Hmmmm....I might have to get it after all.....

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR INPUT!!

Laraquan

Familiar Face
I don't know how I'd feel wearing fur, I suppose it depends what species it was from. I couldn't bear wearing the skin of any cat and I'm uncertain whether I could stand wearing dog fur, because I just love those two collections of species so very much! However, so long as a person knows their fur coat is vintage and not some resurgence of the fur trade - probably most easily worked out by price - than it's not something I could hold against them. Don't know about weasels and the like, really. I know it's hypocritical valuing certain animals over others but cats and dogs, especially cats, are like part of the family to me. I wonder if anyone else has similar leanings? Out of all you fur-wearers, are there any common or even rare fur species you wouldn't wear because of personal bias?

Also, I own a large faux fur coat and while I doubt it looks all that vintage it is so warm and large that I can use it as a blanket, a lap rug or a pillow if I want, so I don't question its value. And unlike true fur, I can use it like a weatherproof coat. Once, I paired that coat with a large-brimmed 70s black hat and soon discovered that the heavy rain wasn't getting to me. Unfortunately, the puddles were soaking my shoes but aside from that, it was like wearing weather proofing! As the faux fur was nylon, it didn't even really get wet and dried quite quickly. Now isn't that something?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Ok Folks....

To reiterate.

This thread is about whether buying fur is a decent investment, with an added dash of 'care of vintage furs'

There have already been numerous 'politics of fur discussions'

So I have tidied once again.

Foofoogal

Banned
I am just wondering or curious for those who don't approve of vintage fur wearing what should be done with the ones already made. Not like one could put it back on the animal though I do understand the issue.
Since I am in currently 94 degrees weather and only gets cool enough maybe rarely 2 days a year in Texas to even wear anything remotely resembling a coat not really an issue.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Foofoogal said:
I am just wondering or curious for those who don't approve of vintage fur wearing what should be done with the ones already made. Not like one could put it back on the animal though I do understand the issue.
Since I am in currently 94 degrees weather and only gets cool enough maybe rarely 2 days a year in Texas to even wear anything remotely resembling a coat not really an issue.

Many animal shelters have fur collection programs where fur items can be turned into bedding for homeless animals. In many cases, these bedding items end up in a role of surrogate mother to these animals.

vintagelaura

New in Town
Many animal shelters have fur collection programs where fur items can be turned into bedding for homeless animals. In many cases, these bedding items end up in a role of surrogate mother to these animals.

I was just going to mention that! The Humane Society has a nationwide program called Coats for Cubs, and I had some furs that were starting to split. It was a great way for me to dispose of the furs and know that they were still going to be used (and for a good cause!). A coordinator from the program said that they can use fur in any condition.

Here's a link to the Coats for Cubs program:
http://www.hsus.org/furfree/campaigns/c4c/

Laura

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buick