Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To PR or to Costume- that is the question

TheSacredFemme

One of the Regulars
Hello ladies and gentlemen!

I have a bit of an educational dilemma going on in my mind and thought asking you lovely people for advice would be helpful as we share many of the same passions.

The past year I have been studying Public Relations and while it's a great degree, I am excellent at it and the job opportunities are superb...my heart really isn't in it. Every time I receive a good grade I feel relief, not happiness. I do not see myself working in the industry and am just very fed up.

Thus I have embraced a hobby of mine and applied for a costume design course. I never in a million years believed I would get on the course as it is a really excellent arts university with amazing credentials. I suppose I didn't think I was that good. Two hours after my interview I received my response- they really want me. My gut feeling is saying yes, yes, yes!

But...my mother hasn't returned my calls in days because she's angry at me potentially throwing something away that is so secure. I am worried about job security. But as y boyfriend, and cohabiting partner, keeps telling me...it can't always only be about money, life is too short.

Do you have some advice? Will nothing ruin my 20s more than the phrase, "It will make my mother mad!"?

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
If you have an aptitude for it and it makes you happy, by all means go for it. As you said life is too short to spend it doing something you don't care for. There is also a saying: If you're lucky enough to do what you love for a living, you'll never have to "work" a day in your life.

I was lucky in that my parents always encouraged me to pursue my interest in art, and it's been my full-time career for 30 years. The money has at times been great, and other times not-so-great, but I cannot imagine spending my working life doing anything else.

I agree about doing something that makes you happy, just be realistic that you can actually do it for a living. In other words, make sure "not working" doesn't necessarily translate to "not getting paid". That's a common problem I see among younger folks these days; they're schooled in something they love, but can't get a job at it. I have no idea what the job prospects are for either, just suggesting that you're honest with yourself about that reality.

As for you mother, if you're happy in life, she'll be happy for you. She'll get over whatever's bugging her in time. Don't let that ruin anything for you.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
There's really two questions here. Do you want to do PR for a living, and would you enjoy studying costume design?

I've dealt with a lot of PR people in my various jobs, and there's a truth to that industry that will eventually confront you if you choose to work in it: eventually you'll be required to sell something -- a product, a point of view -- that you don't believe in. Eventually it becomes a question of paycheck versus conscience -- a moral dilemma instead of a financial one. When you find yourself in that situation, which choice will you make? Your answer to that question will tell you whether PR is the field you want to enter.

The other question is obvious -- sure you'd enjoy studying costume design. But what would you do after you're done studying? If you're realistic about it, you'll consider the possibility that you will work in that field -- and that you won't. That's not to say the skills you learn in that field won't be useful -- but there's a lot more people wanting jobs as costume designers than there are costume designer jobs.

The important thing to remember is that PR and costume design aren't your only options. And the way things are these days it's very unlikely you'll be doing the same thing right out of school that you'll be doing when you're fifty. You've got plenty of options, and only you -- not your ma, not your boyfriend, not Loungers -- really know yourself well enough tk now which options you really want to explore.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
If your heart isn't in it, get your ass out. If the idea of being in PR really makes your heart sink you will never be any good at it and will more than likely drop out of it anyway. If you really love costume design and you have a golden opportunity at the best school in the country, don't be a sucker, grab it fast.

As for your mother, I had one of my own and if my experience is any guide you are going to **** her off sooner or later no matter what you do. She will get over it before you do. If you ever hope to have any kind of life you need to learn this.

TheSacredFemme

One of the Regulars
Thank you so much, everybody, it has been so nice to hear your words of wisdom. After a pretty awful, unprofessional reaction from my PR course leader today when I gave her a heads up about my potential decision my mind has mostly been made up. Costume here I come?

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Thank you so much, everybody, it has been so nice to hear your words of wisdom. After a pretty awful, unprofessional reaction from my PR course leader today when I gave her a heads up about my potential decision my mind has mostly been made up. Costume here I come?

Hollywood or Broadway both employe people with Costume talent. Do what you know you can do...and do not let anyone steal your dream or passion for it.

Idledame

Practically Family
The thing is, any decision you make now does not mean you will be stuck with it the rest of your life. Maybe at some point you'll want to finish the PR degree, or decide to carve canoes, or bake cupcakes or whatever. It may be more difficult to go back to school in the future but lots of people do it all the time. You may even find a job that combines PR and costume design and you will be more uniquely suited for that job than anyone else!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
The thing is, any decision you make now does not mean you will be stuck with it the rest of your life. Maybe at some point you'll want to finish the PR degree, or decide to carve canoes, or bake cupcakes or whatever. It may be more difficult to go back to school in the future but lots of people do it all the time. You may even find a job that combines PR and costume design and you will be more uniquely suited for that job than anyone else!

Yes, you are so wonderfully correct. Life can be just like that and more than not, is!

TheSacredFemme

One of the Regulars

I believe this truly just gave me the final push! :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot